User Tag List

View Poll Results: At the end of the game, how do you shake hands?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • reach above the net

    109 64.12%
  • reach below the net

    54 31.76%
  • i walk over to the other side of the court

    7 4.12%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 58
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by ants
    It depends. Most of the times i shake hand.. over the net. But in some places where i play , some people don't even shake hands when the game is over.
    I know cultures are different around the globe but do you not find this rude?

    The end of the game handshake is tradition, the looser says well played and the winner says good game. It's all part of the fun, making silly pertinant remarks at the end to sometimes wind up the opposition.

  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    San Francisco/Mountain View
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hi-5 over the net or fist bump over the net

  3. #20
    Regular Member ants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Malaysian Citizen of the World
    Posts
    13,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by Dill
    I know cultures are different around the globe but do you not find this rude?

    The end of the game handshake is tradition, the looser says well played and the winner says good game. It's all part of the fun, making silly pertinant remarks at the end to sometimes wind up the opposition.
    Yeah i find it kinda rude or un sportmanship. Anyway not that they didnt talk to us after the game. we still chit chat.. so its ok.

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    its almost always a high-five over here

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    San Jose, California, USA
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stantan
    its almost always a high-five over here
    I low five under the net

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pilipinas
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hi 5 over the net or outside the court. If not, just a 'nice game'. Rarely ever shaked hands under the net though

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How to shakehands? First reach for their right hands with your right hand, grasp firmly, then look them in the eyes and shake. Smiles are optional, but definitely makes the game more enjoyable in the end.

  8. #25
    Regular Member jug8man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,082
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ants
    It depends. Most of the times i shake hand.. over the net. But in some places where i play , some people don't even shake hands when the game is over.

    its not neccesarily rude i think. but it depends of course.

    if like everybody knows each other theres not much point. there are other ways of aknowledging each other. some times a friendly smile or chat up after the game is worth a lot more than a formality when it is among friends i suppose.
    this seems to be even more apperent when 1 court is being shared by 6 to 8 people and time is money and fun. so most ppl just get over a game and 'who's next' or 'who wants my spot coz im tired'. this seems quite normal from where im from.

    but of course if one is playing amongst unfamiliar faces or grounds one should always practice the outmost respect for the opponent especialy after the game. hand shaking after a tournament match or friendly is a sure thing here and i havent personally observed anyone handshaking from the bottom net after a game.... from where im from at least.

  9. #26
    Regular Member jug8man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,082
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    how about at the side of the net post???

    you know where the umpire normaly sits.
    anybody?

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    just wondering, do any of u guys occasionally get these guys that dunt actually shake ur hand after a game. i mean i reach out to shake this guy's hand and he blatantly ignores me and just looks away. IMO he was rude and has no sportsmanship. Not that i care very much anyways cuz i hate him, but i just shake hands with ppl to show that i have sportsmanship. What would u guys do if this happens to u? dont even bother attempting to shake his hand the next time?

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Montreal (514)
    Posts
    1,229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Give the smelly and dirty high five above the net. Anyone still wanna play with me?

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Average
    just wondering, do any of u guys occasionally get these guys that dunt actually shake ur hand after a game. i mean i reach out to shake this guy's hand and he blatantly ignores me and just looks away. IMO he was rude and has no sportsmanship. Not that i care very much anyways cuz i hate him, but i just shake hands with ppl to show that i have sportsmanship. What would u guys do if this happens to u? dont even bother attempting to shake his hand the next time?
    Accidentally toss the bird on his head ?

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    S. Pasadena
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Shake hand is outdated in our club ) we just gve everyone high five's at the end of the match

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Some ppl seem to want to crush your hand when you give handshake What's up with that?

  15. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Badminton court
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    at the end of the game, how do you shake hands?
    Does it matter?

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Heh! Especially when some of them have just lost the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGr8Two
    Some ppl seem to want to crush your hand when you give handshake What's up with that?

  17. #34
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How do I shake hands? Like I'm trying to break their knuckles.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •