User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Another good point - it's not all about keeping the frame in one piece.

If all the structural stuff cancels out, and it's no better whichever way you go, I'd still prefer TD because you can use a starting knot at the top; I'd rather lose tension from the bottom than the top.
    I've only strung a couple "bottom up" and it's a nightmare to weave and tie off at the top, it's so much easier going "top down".

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbswansea View Post
    I've only strung a couple "bottom up" and it's a nightmare to weave and tie off at the top, it's so much easier going "top down".
    I totally agree. The Arc Saber Z-slash is the racket that would frustrate me to no end if i had to string bottom-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look what I found! Stringing instructions that came with my AT800 D (Cone code 240854TH)

Name:  IMG_0300.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  55.8 KB

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingO View Post
    Look what I found! Stringing instructions that came with my AT800 D (Cone code 240854TH)
    Indeed - Yonex have changed their "policy" twice as far as I know.

When I first started stringing - 2007-ish - it was bottom-up. Then, two years later, it was top-down. Now, as far as I know, it's bottom-up again.

The question is what made them do it. Twice.
    Last edited by Mark A; 02-23-2014 at 03:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure I've read it here (BC) somewhere that at one of the Yonex sponsored tournament, their stringers kept breaking rackets (high tension of course) stringing top-down... then they started stringing bottom-up and no more breakage

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingO View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've read it here (BC) somewhere that at one of the Yonex sponsored tournament, their stringers kept breaking rackets (high tension of course) stringing top-down... then they started stringing bottom-up and no more breakage
    The Yonex machine has a quirk in that it can't mount rackets for top-down as well as it can for bottom-up - the 12/6 supports can't reach far enough for the lower shoulder supports to contact the bottom of the frame in the optimal place (between B12 and B8).

Here's a picture of Alan K's mounting - perfect for bottom-up:

Name:  270878_10150298520171948_591276947_9058939_4276809_n.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  87.1 KB

but it's not possible to get the top-version.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What support position is ideal for top down then?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phili View Post
    What support position is ideal for top down then?
    In my experience, the top supports are just above the racket mid-line, and the lower supports are around B10 (second-to-last shared hole on the above racket).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Yonex machine has a quirk in that it can't mount rackets for top-down as well as it can for bottom-up - the 12/6 supports can't reach far enough for the lower shoulder supports to contact the bottom of the frame in the optimal place (between B12 and B8).
    Babolat racket's pattern is TopDown. If some string with Yonex Machine with high tension, will it break?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shubantiksports View Post
    Babolat racket's pattern is TopDown. If some string with Yonex Machine with high tension, will it break?
    "Will it break?" is a question that can't be answered, really.

Does it have a greater chance of breaking? Yes. But that's never stopped me doing top-down.

(Also, the modern Babolat rackets only have 20 mains, so there's nearly 10% less stress than on a normal racket.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the intelligent inputs regarding TopDown.
    I strung 10 rackets, all are top down, I found that cross strings are straight after stringing whereas in BottomTop, after stringing crosses are oval like shape (bend) towards head. In TopDown DT is higher, I think it is tension is precise.

We should go for TopDown.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shubantiksports View Post
    Thanks for the intelligent inputs regarding TopDown.
    I strung 10 rackets, all are top down, I found that cross strings are straight after stringing whereas in BottomTop, after stringing crosses are oval like shape (bend) towards head.
    This is exactly what I found last week - you can straighten the crosses while they are being pulled, but they still end up being curved after the string job is complete and have to be straightened again.

On the other hand, the rackets did not lose contact with the side supports the way they do with top-down, so there advantages and disadvantages to each method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any recommendation when stringing from top down? E.g. do you keep same tension throughout the crosses?
    the reason why i ask is because i have seen Someone reduce 2lbs for the first four crosses.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amrit88 View Post
    Any recommendation when stringing from top down? E.g. do you keep same tension throughout the crosses?
    the reason why i ask is because i have seen Someone reduce 2lbs for the first four crosses.
    Here's a little light reading for you : http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ringing-Method

I have fooled around with various tension differences. But in my limited experience, the best result comes when the tension is the same from start to finish.

Techniques vary from person to person and machine to machine. The only thing that counts is the final result: Is the customer happy or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was at the annual IART Racquet Stringing Symposium last year. Most stringers there are tennis stringers, but there were a few badminton guys there. They were tournament level badminton stringers, and all recommended bottom-up, but none could tell me why. "Just because" is what they said.

All theory seems to support top-down, as it directs the stress to the strongest part of the racquet, the throat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2