User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 35 to 51 of 57

Thread: Park Joo Bong

  1. #35
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    3,892
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Well, looks like PJB is the second Korean badminton player to receive a Ph.D after KDM. It is not very surprising though that Korea takes education very seriously and even professional players ultimately achieve their doctorate degrees, something very rare indeed!

    Both Koreans are world-class Olympians and I can't help but think that their brains might have something to do with their world-class achievements.

    Just wonder though whether they have to get their masters degree before progressing to the doctorate after their first degrees.
    amazing.... most msian players cant even finish SPM..

  2. #36
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perak
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SibugiChai View Post
    amazing.... most msian players cant even finish SPM..
    are u sure ??how do u know that?who are the "players"?

  3. #37
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    amazing he is quite fluent in Japanese. He is coaching in Japan. Many critics say that Japanese badminton level went up after Park Joo Bong is coaching.

  4. #38
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    570
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just out of curiosity, why does Park Joo Bong speak Japanese? How did he learn to speak Japanese fluently?

  5. #39
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In 1910, Korea was annexed by Japan and remained a colony until the end of World War II in August 1945.

    is that answered your question?

  6. #40
    Regular Member otidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bandung
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    In 1910, Korea was annexed by Japan and remained a colony until the end of World War II in August 1945.

    is that answered your question?
    That is correct. But does it really answer the question? I don't know if you were joking, but Park Joo Bong was born on 1964, almost 20 years after the colonization.

    Indonesia was colonized by the Japanese (for 3,5 years) and the Dutch (for 350 years) till the late of 1940s. But that doesn't mean us Indonesian people definitely can speak their language, even people who was born on the period of 1940s.

  7. #41
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by otidh View Post
    That is correct. But does it really answer the question? I don't know if you were joking, but Park Joo Bong was born on 1964, almost 20 years after the colonization.

    Indonesia was colonized by the Japanese (for 3,5 years) and the Dutch (for 350 years) till the late of 1940s. But that doesn't mean us Indonesian people definitely can speak their language, even people who was born on the period of 1940s.
    during the period when Korea was under Japan's occupation do you think the Japanese were learning Korean or 'persuaded' the Korean to learn Japanese?

    and do you think that stopped the day after the Japanese left?

  8. #42
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,720
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zhuangcorp View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why does Park Joo Bong speak Japanese? How did he learn to speak Japanese fluently?
    It makes a lot of sense for PJB to learn Japanese as a means of communication to reach out to his trainees. Getting the message across to your students in their own mother tongue is the most effective other than pure demonstration.

    With a brain like PJB's and the interest he's shown by accepting the coaching job despite some some unpleasant history between Korea and Japan, his learning of Japanese must have been quickened in the real Japanese environment with everyday interaction with the language.

    If I'm not wrong, some written form of both Korean and Japanese words have a common influence with Chinese and this perhaps makes the understanding of Japanese easier for PJB.

    Indeed PJB is often cited as the man behind the significant improvement in the badminton standards of the Japanese players. Perhaps this is due in part to his quick masterly of the Japanese language that makes it more effective to impart his skills to his students.

  9. #43
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    2,394
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    during the period when Korea was under Japan's occupation do you think the Japanese were learning Korean or 'persuaded' the Korean to learn Japanese?

    and do you think that stopped the day after the Japanese left?
    Considering there were violent reprisals against collaborators in the late '40s, it is not actually difficult to imagine that language teachers were running scared and forced language acquisition certainly stopped even before the departure of the colonial administrators.

    In any case, when you consider that children in immigrant communities can quite often be monolingual in the locally dominant language by the 3rd or even 2nd generation, it is next to impossible for a vilified, ex-status language to have any kind of organic base after a generation. In other words, the colonization has exactly zero to do with Park's ability to speak Japanese and there has to be, and is, another explanation.

    First of all, many Koreans who have tried both English and Japanese claim that they acquire Japanese more easily because of the linguistic similarity in terms of sentence structure as well as the number of cognates. Second, Park is fluent in English as well, despite the fact that he has been in Japan nearly twice as long as he was in England and Malaysia combined. In other words, he has a demonstrated aptitude for language acquisition and if he can learn English, the experience of other Korean language students would suggest that he'd have no problem with Japanese.

    The one thing you mention that is relevant is the notion of people who speak internationally powerful languages not being motivated to learn less powerful ones. In other words, we wouldn't expect the Japanese team to line up to learn Korean any more than we would expect the Brits to have learned Danish to speak to Jonassen, or Chinese or Bahasa Melayu to communicate with Tan Kim Her. I'm sure there aren't many players in Calgary who learned Bahasa Indonesia to be coached by Ardy Wiranata, either.

    It's more complicated that that, of course. Many teams rely on a shared lingua franca. Also, some Chinese-speaking coaches in Korea have learned Korean while in the case of others, they have relied on existing bilingual members of the coaching staff. In Korean team sports, they allocate a budget for translators to deal with foreign coaches or players.

    It would be interesting to compare Park's experience with the other coaches, trainers, and players from Korea, Taiwan, China, and Indonesia who have worked in the Japan league. Differences will still stem more from time in the country, personal aptitude, existence of bilingual colleagues, and the ability to use a third language such as English as a lingua franca, than on colonial histories ending in the mid-20th century.
    Last edited by event; 02-20-2014 at 09:47 AM.

  10. #44
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    icy cold place
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There are some people who are gifted in picking up languages. Perhaps, PJB who must be a smart fellow to get a Phd degree is one of them, and also because of his association with Jap badminton that 'pushes' him to learn the language. I have many caucasian friends here that speak fluent mandarin. My old boss (mentor early in my career) is a Chilean, he speaks only Spanish, came to Begium and took up their language while attending University, then came to Canada and challenge engineering exam in english to qualify as an engineer, married a Korean with a interpreter and only learn Korean after his wife came over from KOR (called it a blind, arranged marriage). My older brother, failng Form 3, because of his business that requires him to interact with other races in MAS, can speak many dialects including broken hindi, I really do not know how many languages he can converse or understand. Me on the other hand is the total opposite, can barely speak cantonese (my mother tongue) well, and forget about Bahasa (return this language to my guru long time ago).

  11. #45
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,720
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    There are some people who are gifted in picking up languages. Perhaps, PJB who must be a smart fellow to get a Phd degree is one of them, and also because of his association with Jap badminton that 'pushes' him to learn the language. I have many caucasian friends here that speak fluent mandarin. My old boss (mentor early in my career) is a Chilean, he speaks only Spanish, came to Begium and took up their language while attending University, then came to Canada and challenge engineering exam in english to qualify as an engineer, married a Korean with a interpreter and only learn Korean after his wife came over from KOR (called it a blind, arranged marriage). My older brother, failng Form 3, because of his business that requires him to interact with other races in MAS, can speak many dialects including broken hindi, I really do not know how many languages he can converse or understand. Me on the other hand is the total opposite, can barely speak cantonese (my mother tongue) well, and forget about Bahasa (return this language to my guru long time ago).
    "Ho yei, nei tong ngo yi yeon!"

    (Sorry for the lousy translation in Cantonese for I'm a linguistic failure as well.)

  12. #46
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    icy cold place
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    "Ho yei, nei tong ngo yi yeon!"

    (Sorry for the lousy translation in Cantonese for I'm a linguistic failure as well.)
    Sama, sama

  13. #47
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zhuangcorp View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why does Park Joo Bong speak Japanese? How did he learn to speak Japanese fluently?
    What I mean by "he is quite fluent" is that Coach Park does not bring a translator. And at least he seems able to communicate with Japanese players in the game. Communicating them specially about badminton should not be so hard.

    Off the court, he might not be as fluent as he could on the court.

    There must be extra challenges like a language barrier, homesick, different cultures. Regardless of those he has coached in Japan for many years. I think he's doing good.

  14. #48
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,786
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Many in Taiwan can speak Japanese. Japan occupied Taiwan for 50 years from 1895 to 1945.

  15. #49
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    Many in Taiwan can speak Japanese. Japan occupied Taiwan for 50 years from 1895 to 1945.
    Park Joo Bong's ability to speak Japanese has nothing to do with Japanese colonization. He might have learned Japanese before, but it would be like getting to know more about a neighbor country.

    Japan and Korea have many things to solve specially about history.
    That does not mean Japanese people hate Korean people, or the other way around.
    It is more like what politicians have to deal with. Majority citizens of Korea and Japan don't think each other as enemies.

    He did not betray Korea because he's coaching in Japan. He's working for them, but he gets payed and earns good money directly from Japan.

    Badminton is also olympic sports. It should exclude any political conflicts.

    Also Mao used to work for Korean Men Single. I have never thought him betrayed his country, China. Specially for coaches, it is always good to work internationally for its sports, because it brings many competitive players from various countries.

  16. #50
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    bumi tjiangsana
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    so crazy to now park joo bong so good to speak japanese, example ohayou gozaimasu, koniciwa, etc

  17. #51
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,189
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SibugiChai View Post
    amazing.... most msian players cant even finish SPM..
    Just to put in context to this old comment which seems out of place. And a number of m'sian ex-players are university grads.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Park Joo Bong as a coach
    By fmqpt791004 in forum Japan Professional Players
    Replies: 52
    : 06-01-2014, 10:40 PM
  2. Video of Park Joo Bong ?
    By Finderskeepers in forum Badminton Tournament Video Sharing
    Replies: 10
    : 01-11-2009, 10:05 PM
  3. Park joo bong videos
    By New_Guy04 in forum Korea Professional Players
    Replies: 4
    : 07-31-2004, 12:59 AM
  4. Park Joo Bong
    By Cheung in forum General Forum
    Replies: 21
    : 12-02-2002, 04:48 AM
  5. Park Joo Bong
    By Bbn in forum General Forum
    Replies: 18
    : 10-23-2002, 01:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •