Park Joo Bong

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by reaper, Feb 24, 2004.

1. reaper

reaper Regular Member

Retired badminton player, LOL =P PRE-MED STUDENT (
    Does anyone know where is he now or what he is doing? I know he used to coach in Malaysia's national team program, but not anymore.

2. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Last news that I have heard is that Park and his sponsor have a plan to 'create' a Badminton Academy somewhere in Malaysia.

3. reaper

reaper Regular Member

Anyone know where in Malaysia this academy is located? Or its contact info?

4. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    i don;t know whether they'll have their academy here or not....i did read the news about it...but that's last year's news...but after that...no more news on him...

5. reaper

reaper Regular Member

well, are there any other big academies in Malaysia? or would Park's proposed one have been the biggest?

6. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    Joo-bong to coach Koreans for the Thomas Cup and Olympics

By RAJES PAUL from thestar.com.my

PETALING JAYA: Doubles legend Park Joo-bong is going back to his roots – as the South Korean doubles chief coach, albeit on a short stint.

He will guide the team to the Thomas Cup Finals and the Athens Olympic Games. And that is bad news for Malaysia.

Joo-bong, who was Malaysian doubles chief coach, knows all about the Malaysian shuttlers. He had, in fact, wanted to set up an international badminton academy in Kuala Lumpur. But his failure to get the project going prompted to go back to South Korea.

“I stayed on here even after I quit as the national doubles chief coach because I was keen to set up an academy. But there was no reply from the government on my application for a piece of land. I knew it would be difficult,” said Joo-bong, who joined the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) in 1999 and quit after the Busan Asian Games in October, 2002.

Joo-bong said he had been engaged by the Korean BA for a short term.

“I will start coaching the players right before the Korean Open (March 30-April 4) and will be with them until the Olympic Games (Aug 13-29). Then, I may look at coaching in another country,” said Joo-bong.

“The main aim is to get the Korean players ready for the Thomas Cup Finals and the Olympics. The Korean BA know I cannot do much for the players in the short while. But with my experience, I am expected to build the players' confidence and help them withstand the pressure. I will help them to be mentally prepared for big events.”

At the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games, Kim Dong-moon-Ha Tae-kwon and Lee Dong-soo-Yoo Yong-sung had been favourites to win the mens' doubles and Dong-moon-Ra Kyung-min were the favourites in the mixed doubles.

They could not perform when the expectations were high.

Joo-bong said that the South Korean team would be on a 10-day training stint in Malaysia prior to the Thomas Cup Finals from May 7-16 in Jakarta.

“The team will send their best players for the ABC (Asian Badminton Championship) here in Malaysia (April 20-24). It will be too taxing on them to go back to South Korea after that,” said Joo-bong.

“We will stay here for 10 days and get ready for the Finals. It will be a good acclimatisation before Jakarta.”

Tae-kwon's former partner Kang Kyung-jin is handling the Korean's doubles players now. He replaced Kim Moon-soo a year ago. Moon-soo, who was Joo-bong's former partner, had to go for knee surgery after a freak accident.

7. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    hm....i'm not sure abuot that though...because as what i knew there's only few badminton acadamies here...
    Park's one is been rejected as there's no news from the govt, so he'll be goin back to korean to teach their double....but only for a short period...

i got the article just now only...so it's the latest news on park..

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Of course there are badminton academies, big and small, all over Malaysia. I believe most of the publicity is given to the big ones like Nusa Mahsuri, run by the Sidek brothers and BAM's own famous Bukit Jalil Sports Academy, which contributed a few women national players to the current Uber Cup squad who have helped M'sia to qualify for the UC Finals on its own merit for the first time after a long while.

Individual state badminton associations also run their own training programmes and not a few have engaged the services of former Chinese star and Malaysia's Thomas Cup winning coach, Han Jian, with whom I recently took a pic when I coincidentally met him at the KLBA during the recent TC qualifiers. Such training arrangements are normally sponsored by sports loving corporations.

One reason why Malaysia has consistently produced top class badminton players is their programme of nurturing the young talents with proper guidance and training in these badminton academies and training centers.

9. reaper

reaper Regular Member

Do the Nusa Mahsuri and the Bukit Jalil Sports Academy accept foreign players for short term training? Do you have their contact info?

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that news!

i say with PJB back to Korea, Korea does have a much better chance in both the TC and the Olympics. which is bad news for other countries.

i remember seeing Ha/Kang play in Thai Open 1996. Kang isn't the most talented player, and he seems rathered short tempered with Ha. so think PJB is a much better candidate.

Kim Moon Soo is having a surgery. hm...

and i think this is good for Park. he can spend time with his family, and it was really painful seeing him coach the Malaysian with sign language.

11. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I know that some french players have been to Nusa Mahsuri for summer training so it must be possible.
    I don't have any contact info though...

12. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    well it's not the bukit jalil sport academy...it's actually a sport school ( high school )

nusa mahsuri is different...nusa mahsuri is a professional badminton club....

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Too bad Joo Bong won't be able to Set-Up a Badminton academy in Msia. It will be a great contribution to the country and as well as a place to groom up future champions.

14. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

there's one academy here in malaysia called the Setia Badminton Academy, runned by Han Jian....

Reaper,

i doubt u have any chance to enter the academies, even us Malaysian don't have the privillages.... only the very good ones, who ARE SELECTED can enter the academies...

Bukit Jalil Sports School Only REcruit Players By Selection....

most of the players in Bukit Jalil Sports School Are Selected During State-Level Competion..... and all the players are State players..... when they get selected to enter Bukit Jalil Sports School, they'll most probably represent malaysian in future.....

and to get into state level in Malaysia is already A Very Difficult Task Unless You're Very Good.......

for malaysian to enter state team, they have to represent school and play in competions, when they manage to enter few semi-final or finals, they might get selected to enter State Team, and from State Team, if they win in State-Level competition, they'll get selected to enter Bukit Jalil Sports School , where all the Malaysian junior train and most probably represent Malaysia..........

even if u enter the sports school, u might not make it into national team if you're not good enough......

i'm not so sure about Nusa Mahsuri nor have i any idea how to enter the club........

but the current Hashim Brothers Roslin and Hafiz are from Nusa Mahsuri.

#14 fhchiang, Mar 5, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Reaper is not M'sian;) And if he is willing to pay, I am almost sure he'll be able to get in. I have heard of camps like these in Indonesia and China. You pay to get the training. It would be only worth the trouble if you were pretty good already - Reaper should not have a problem in this respect ;)

The only trouble is getting the contact details for a Malaysian training centre....

16. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

you have no idea just how many good players are there in malaysia other than the normal faces seen on TV....... and only the VERY GOOD ONES.... get the chance......... in malaysia.... many of them can pay to enter... but they are just not good enough......

they won't even bother to train reaper unless he plays for the country....... they coach players to play for the country........all the coaches there are National Coach............

cheung, how would u rate reaper's ability? how good is he in his country?

#16 fhchiang, Mar 6, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2004
  17. reaper

reaper Regular Member

whoa, I just asked about academies in Malaysia, didn't mean for it to be "blown up" like this, LOL

anyway, my club is sending a team to Xiamen, China this year (in the summer) to train with a coach who was Ji Xinpeng's first coach who is now provincial head coach, I forget his name, the team is training at Xiamen's Sports Academy ... but it is costly though .....

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    fhchiang, you missed the point ;)

Your academies will not train M'sians if they are not good enough:)
    Normal M'sians will not spend any money on training badminton if not so talented(will save it or spend on things like education)
    The Academies with training groups (not BAM!) may accept people who are willing to pay (money talks;))
    If accepted, the overseas person probably would have to train with the juniors.

One of our BFer's who is NOT a native M'sian trained in one of the M'sian state camps when a teenager. (cannot remember which state now - might be Perak). So I surmise a commercial deal may well be possible.

Of course there are many good players in M'sia:) I've been lucky enough to play with some of them. One of my regular badminton partners used to be a Johor player. He fatehr would not let him join National training. My friend joined Maybank!

Reaper, are you going to Xiamen as well?

19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Hey Reaper,

How much is it to train in Xiamen? :D What is the duration of the training?

I really want to train in China :). Joking . . .

YY Fan,

Do you know any training facility/academy in Zhongshan where you usually play against the city/provincial players? Talk about target practise ;).

20. reaper

reaper Regular Member

Hey Cheung,

I am not going to Xiamen this summer; I am probably going to Xiamen for three weeks in December, my coach is looking into it for me. That is because this summer I will be playing in a Danish division II club (I believe) in Copenhagen for four months (from May to September 2004). I am getting the opportunity to meet Peter Gade there. :D It would not be economical to halt my training in Denmark for three weeks, pay $$$ to fly to Xiamen and train there, then fly back to Denmark. Don't you agree? ;)

Hey Pete,

I believe the team is going for 22 or 23 days. This entails three weeks of intensive training, I looked over the program and it is very intensive. The cost is just under $4,000 Canadian, which covers airfare from Toronto to Xiamen, accomodation, food, training, and everything else. The program will be run by Coach Li (don't know his full name, but it is not Li Yongbo) and his group of coaches. I hear the provincial team trains there.

Reaper