User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Koo KK, Robertson, Zheng Bo and Nova don't belong on the list....and another thing holding back Sigit was him doping and getting caught...
    I agree that KDM and PJB should be at or near the top. Two incredible players, although regrettably I haven't been able to see much of PJB so far. But KDM was a great, rock-solid all-around player, comfortable in all situations and anywhere on the court.
    I'd also rate Cai Yun higher than LYD (at least so far) as he has won the bigger matches, and attained the 2 big titles (OG&WC). While LYD has the Gold in Mixed, his performace in that discipline plummeted in 2010, and while I agree that he's one of the great MD players he hasn't been able to produce the goods when it counts there - the SF loss against the Danes in the London Olympics was rather bitter, being the product of nerves more than anything. LYD/JJS had been in a league of their own with Cai/Fu for the whole year before the Games, and were quite frankly a pair of completely different potential and stature than the one-trick ponies BoMo...

Personally I'd probably rate Tony Gunawan 4th, KDM, CY and HS just impress me more with more all-court play and the ability to maintain their level for a long time, in KDM's and Setiawan's case even with different partners, Kido handicapping him (sometimes severely) from 2009 on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tony and halim gave kim dong moon and ha tae kwon 15-0, 15-10 in the finals of 2001 world championships.
    But KDM was a great, rock-solid all-around player, comfortable in all situations and anywhere on the court.
    yeah. he was great. that's why he got 0 point.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And won the Olympics in 2004...every player has his off days, and KDM collected quite a few titles to prove those days were the exception for him

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    And won the Olympics in 2004...every player has his off days, and KDM collected quite a few titles to prove those days were the exception for him
    That was when tony decided to 'retire' and sigit&candra decided to split...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha yeah and thats the only time he ever won a MD title come on, be serious for once...Tony was a great player as well, but neither outshone the other, really...and since this isnt about the best player at the net exclusively, I'd pick the three I mentioned over Tony for their better all-court play. It's pretty damn close, but it's only my personal opinion anyway....the only 'objective' way to compare them would be the number of titles, and that isnt remotely accurate as some titles are more important than others and some players chose to focus on certain events, skipping others in the process (such as Cai/Fu leading up to the 2012 OG, for example)...
    Let's agree to disagree on this one, in my book TG can't quite compete with KDM, while it's the other way round in your opinion, and both have their Olympic Gold, All England title and a whole lot more to their name...

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Tony Gunawan and Kim Dong Moon.

That's why I was very careful earlier in this thread to say TG edges KDM in men's doubles and for all round men's doubles and mixed together, Kim Dong Moon reigns.

Hahahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

robertson probably ranks as one of the best european players but not in the top ten list here. zheng bo, huge smashes that's all. KKK....not disciplined enough in his play. Asian players dominate the list, how about, who are the best european MD and XD players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, my choice of best badminton player is Tony Gunawan, he/Halim defeated Kim Dong Moon and Ha Tae Kwon in the final of 2001 World Champion and the score for the first set is 15-0 you read it correctly, it's 15-0 and Kim/Ha was the previous winner of World Champion.

The youtube video can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CntXX...ZCdNojtFjTMxFQ

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Yes. I was in the audience for that game. My friend went for a toilet break and completely missed the first set. Antonius/Denny Kantono were probably somewhere in the world top five then - but still ranked behind Rexy/Ricky and Rudy Gunawan/Bambang for Indonesia.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kirana View Post
    Well, my choice of best badminton player is Tony Gunawan, he/Halim defeated Kim Dong Moon and Ha Tae Kwon in the final of 2001 World Champion and the score for the first set is 15-0 you read it correctly, it's 15-0 and Kim/Ha was the previous winner of World Champion.

The youtube video can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CntXX...ZCdNojtFjTMxFQ
    Yes. I watched that match live on TV and it made great viewing. Unfortunately, one fantastic match doesn't make the grade. Halim was in the zone for that game.

And unfortunately, Tony didn't play much mixed doubles. (Already mentioned this before).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I watched that match live on TV and it made great viewing. Unfortunately, one fantastic match doesn't make the grade. Halim was in the zone for that game.

And unfortunately, Tony didn't play much mixed doubles. (Already mentioned this before).

Hmm, Tony Gunawan won 3 prestigious titles with 3 different partners, Olympic Gold Medal with Chandra, and winner of 2 world champions with 2 different partners (Howard Bach and Halim) and all of their opponents in finals are world class players. It just too bad Tony's life span in competitive badminton is considered short compared to the rest of great players, for me this make the grade and obviously it is more than one fantastic match, anyway, we agree to disagree

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setiawan and Tony are the best, no doubt.

I also think Cai Yun is better than LYD.

Hopefully, Zhang Nan can join this list a few year from now.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, Tony Gunawan won 3 prestigious titles with 3 different partners, Olympic Gold Medal with Chandra, and winner of 2 world champions with 2 different partners (Howard Bach and Halim) and all of their opponents in finals are world class players. It just too bad Tony's life span in competitive badminton is considered short compared to the rest of great players, for me this make the grade and obviously it is more than one fantastic match, anyway, we agree to disagree
    I think you misunderstood, it's not that TG wasn't a great player or only had one great match, the point was that he only won one match so clearly, and that one can't argue he was better than KDM because of that one match (if that was the case, we'd have a whole lot of world's best players because everyone lost a match at one point...).

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Exactly...and which of those partners he had were female?

Tony is my favourite men's doubles player ...

But let's see:

Kim Dong Moon has 2 Olympic Gold medals with 2 different partners and 3 World championships with different partners.

Playing any opponent at that level is always world class!

To be honest, I don't really want to get into number of titles and splitting margins. We have enough trollers who try to stir things up like that.

Simply speaking, the margins are tight but Tony concentrated on Men's Doubles and Kim split between Men's doubles and Mixed doubles. You could also argue what if Kim just stayed with Men's doubles and what if Tony didn't have that break. There is always a what if
    Last edited by Cheung; 03-12-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: additional content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And need to consider who KDM's partner was. Ha Tae Kwon is good, but not great. Halim is a much better all round MD player. To be fair, we can only compare KDM and TG if KDM/KDM play TG/TG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly...and which of those partners he had were female?

Tony is my favourite men's doubles player ...

But let's see:

Kim Dong Moon has 2 Olympic Gold medals with 2 different partners and 3 World championships with different partners.

Playing any opponent at that level is always world class!

To be honest, I don't really want to get into number of titles and splitting margins. We have enough trollers who try to stir things up like that.

Simply speaking, the margins are tight but Tony concentrated on Men's Doubles and Kim split between Men's doubles and Mixed doubles. You could also argue what if Kim just stayed with Men's doubles and what if Tony didn't have that break. There is always a what if
    Sure, not interested to become one of the trollers I respect your opinion and like I said before, I agree to disagree Respect to all of the great badminton players, well, all of them

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lcw and LD is the most great MD xD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why wasting time on an endless debate. It is like asking who is the best woman? Of course everyone's current partner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2