User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alien9113 View Post
    It depends on the person's character I think. Maybe he's not so comfortable to ask people to train him, so you ask him along instead. After a few sessions, maybe he will warm up to it and take more initiative.

If it really fails, then I think you can let it be. Maybe he's just not really into badminton as seriously as some of us here. You have already done your best.
    nah... i want to partner with someone at par with me and with the same passion and motivation as me. at least we progress together and we're at the same page. we'd be a solid team and would be a force to reckon with on the court . *wishful thinking* i can play with someone weaker than me as long as i can see that he's putting a good effort to improve coz i do the same when i play with better players. i push myself harder and train harder. eventually i am able to catch up and overtake.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reytave View Post
    i'd say i have a respectable grasp of moving diagonally as well as front and back. my problem is really more on the stamina part. once i get tired and my legs feel kind of numb, my tendency is to stop and catch my breath after taking a shot while waiting for the next shot instead of moving to the center immediately. in effect, i take the next shot late and i'm already out of position. hahaha! but i'll definitely give it a try once i feel more confident. someday... someday...
    With this information , I would definitely recommend singles footwork training and basic clears and netshots. Go for consistency on clears, smash, dropshots (all using same body preparation, rotation and stroke action) and tumbling netshots. Basic net kills. Good footwork training allows you to conserve energy and use it efficiently.

Stay off drives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    With this information , I would definitely recommend singles footwork training and basic clears and netshots. Go for consistency on clears, smash, dropshots (all using same body preparation, rotation and stroke action) and tumbling netshots. Basic net kills. Good footwork training allows you to conserve energy and use it efficiently.

Stay off drives.
    Thank you Cheung. I definitely still have a lot to improve on my footwork as well as my fitness as i'm not as lean as most players.

On a side note, i was feeling a bit soft-hearted while on the bus on my way back home from work. i was thinking that since we're playing only on the lowest level, we may actually be able to win by being defensive. i realized that most of the points of our opponents during our practices is from his mistakes either from mishitting, hitting the shuttlecock out, and service errors. i think this is due to him trying to outmanoeuvre our opponent instead of just making sure that he is actually able to hit shuttlecock to the other side of the court. maybe we can win by just lifting and clearing most of the time. i bet our opponents don't smash as hard or make very accurate drops as the higher level players. we'll just play side to side all the time instead of rotating coz he's having a hard time with it. basically, he just needs to move front to back. when we're receiving the serve, we'll basically do a high lift on my side of the court since i can defend better than him. the opponent will probably be doing straight shots most of the time anyway. when serving, i'll ask him to just make sure the shuttlecock doesn't fall short, long or out. i'll take care of the next shot and he moves to the other vacant side of the court. if the opponent makes a net shot then we'll lift high then defend. of course ill smash or drop when given the opportunity but i won't ask him to come forward to intercept. i basically have to do all offense on my own and ask him to help me defend his side of the court. does that make sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually to make it even simpler, ill just ask him to lift and clear to whichever direction he's comfortable with as long as it's not out.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually to make it even simpler, ill just ask him to lift and clear to whichever direction he's comfortable with as long as it's not out.
    Good advice for him, but don't mention the word out. What you have said is very negative because of the "as long as its not out" - it will make him feel stupid. Keep it positive

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your new plan only works for beginners and lower level players. Once you play higher level doubles players who know doubles tactics, then your partner being weaker will get the isolation treatment.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSeeley View Post
    Good advice for him, but don't mention the word out. What you have said is very negative because of the "as long as its not out" - it will make him feel stupid. Keep it positive
    Agree. Keep it simple. Simple is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSeeley View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out. I guess ill just say "aim for the inner lines" i think? At least if his racket angle is wrong, there's still a good chance it's in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Your new plan only works for beginners and lower level players. Once you play higher level doubles players who know doubles tactics, then your partner being weaker will get the isolation treatment.
    Yup. Im very much aware of this. I dont have any plans of sticking with him so this is temporary. I tried my best to employ the correct strategy but it's just a total failure.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for pointing that out. I guess ill just say "aim for the inner lines" i think? At least if his racket angle is wrong, there's still a good chance it's in.
    Better! Just remind him that you don't need to aim for the side lines, and that you can afford to give yourself plenty of room for error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. Im very much aware of this. I dont have any plans of sticking with him so this is temporary. I tried my best to employ the correct strategy but it's just a total failure.
    have you ever talk to this partner of yours? because some people just want to play and enjoy themselves. They don't care about tactics, improvement ,etc. There is only progression when both of you are on the same page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Wei View Post
    have you ever talk to this partner of yours? because some people just want to play and enjoy themselves. They don't care about tactics, improvement ,etc. There is only progression when both of you are on the same page.
    yup i always talk to him. but he just couldn't implement the things that i tell him to do on the court. i guess it's a force of habit for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup i always talk to him. but he just couldn't implement the things that i tell him to do on the court. i guess it's a force of habit for him.
    Maybe you can try saying something like ''clear it all the way to the back'' if he says he can't tell him you can show him how to, if he declines you're better off just finding a different partner

Thankfully I have now found a different partner just by playing so well that he can't play at the same level as me because he is not good enough, when I was playing with him I felt like I couldn't really commit to any shots because he just couldn't cover the follow up, that meant no hard smashes unless I was directly center of the court, my new partner is pretty decent so now I will be having much more fun

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post

... he is not good enough, when I was playing with him I felt like I couldn't really commit to any shots because he just couldn't cover the follow up, that meant no hard smashes unless I was directly center of the court
    good to know the issues we all face are repeated across the badminton halls everywhere...

I would suggest that more practice (half court singles) with your partner would be useful, to get the basics like clear, lift, drop and serve consistently in, and to the right length. This will help in the tournament to at least not loose points from your/your partner's errors.

Further down the line, perhaps a career in singles would suit you better?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by other View Post
    good to know the issues we all face are repeated across the badminton halls everywhere...

I would suggest that more practice (half court singles) with your partner would be useful, to get the basics like clear, lift, drop and serve consistently in, and to the right length. This will help in the tournament to at least not loose points from your/your partner's errors.

Further down the line, perhaps a career in singles would suit you better?!
    I have a new partner now so I'll probably never have to play with my old again, the new partner also gives and takes tips too so we're both on the same page

I really want to play singles but our club only had 2 courts so it's kind of bad to take up a whole court for just 2 of but one of the other club players wants to plat singles too so the both of us will be staying later than the rest to practice sometime, he's also ambidextrous and can play equally well with both hands and his smash in insanely powerful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as expected we lost all our games. and we lost pretty bad. we never even hit double digits. it was like 3v1 with my partner giving away free points to the opponents during service, short lifts and clears, mishitting, etc. it was just a terrible experience. oh well, gotta move on and find a much better partner.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Put it down to a bad experience. Remember, stick to singles. No partner. Every game is your own effort. Win or lose it's down to you and not a partner.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast