Footwork preparation and fluidity?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Chen Dan :D, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Chen Dan :D

Chen Dan :D Regular Member

KGB spy
    When playing i understand that people teach people to bounce or remain on their toes. However i also understand that some people can move relatively smoothly around the court without the need for this. I notice that if i conciously bounce on my toes i can move ok around the court sometimes however if i time my footwork bounce incorrectly with the pace of the game i find it difficult to move smoothly around the court. Therefore picking up smashes or sudden clears is difficult.

I play with a player who is very good technically his shot preparation is exactly the same everytime therefore being very deceptive in that i have to wait for his action then i have to react. I notice one way to beat him is to outpower him which i have succeeded on a few occasions however if i try to compete by rallying or playing with strategy i often lose.

I notice that as you are older becoming technically superior has its advantages, any ideas of methods of teaching better reading of the game or better footwork techniques. I do remember Cheung saying something about balance in the past. Any remedies, suggestions and criticisms i am free to accept as it will aid everyones game.

I have an idea that people will say is to play more or it comes with experience. Is there any tips of improving without doing drills which involve chasing shuttles all day long. I hope i haven't stated the obvious. People who are experienced in this area are free to offer suggestions.

2. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Personally, I don't bounce on my toes for my footwork preparation. You mentioned that you can beat him by outpowering him. Is there anyway you can sustain such method throughout the game? If not, why not? Perhaps your shot placement allows him to counter attack easily?

One way I find useful in playing such person is to confuse him of my position. However, in order to do this, my reflexes have to be quick and I have the stamina to carry me through the ordeal. Basically I must be comfortable on changing any direction. For example, I will move forward a little and quickly ready to move back. Many times my opponent will be surprised for giving me lots of freebies. :) Another example is to use your mental eye to confirm what your physical eyes have noticed on your opponent's shot placement. However, this involves playing experience with such person and constant evaluation on your part.

Good luck.