Grip: cross court forehand netshot from forecourt

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cheung, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I use a slight panhandle technique and the result is not bad.

I see quite a lot of people use the backhand grip.

Which do you use?

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

b/h is just wrong. You wouldn't play straight net with that grip, so it's just giving your opponent a 'tell'.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Not many replies - even Visor has gone a bit quiet!

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Did I see my name being called? :D
    Sorry, busy celebrating Canadian Olympic hockey gold. :)

5. visor

visor Regular Member

But to answer your question, I don't consciously think of what grip to use. I just use whatever grip is needed to get the angle and trajectory that I want.

#5 visor, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I use basic, panhandle or variations of either most of the time.

I only use a backhand grip if I can't change back in time, which likely means I am defending a smash and I continue with the backhand grip.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

And I agree with amleto about having to "show" the straight first, in order for the cross court to be deceptive and effective.

#7 visor, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  8. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Cheung, is this for Singles, or Doubles? I've to asked, as apparently Singles players commonly use a rather "unorthodox" grip - palm down, to play straight reply to low serves from even court. I'm not sure what the ideal thumb position is in this case. Same grip may be used to play cross-court net shot for deception. There used to be a Youtube video about such deception demonstrated/taught by an ex-European Singles player. Is this what you referred to as "backhand" grip?

I've also seen it used in the middle of a rally, or in Doubles. I used that occasionally myself.

9. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Personally, I use the 'wrong' grip (but the 'right' face) for tight x-court net shots. For example, from the b/hand corner, I use my standard f/hand grip, but still play the shot off the 'back' face. When played well, the shuttle runs along tight to the tape.

Need to intercept the shuttle close to the net though, otherwise the angle isn't acute enough.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Raymond.

Not sure what is meant by "palm down" for singles players :)

Not many videos on the internet but have a look at Zhao Jian Hua (not the lady he is teaching) at 0.34.

He is clearly using a backhand grip (also called the thumb grip on badminton bible).

[video=youtube_share;bIO3Sn-o5NA]http://youtu.be/bIO3Sn-o5NA[/video]

Badminton bible advocates the 'bevel grip'

http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/net-shots/angled/simple-cross-court.php

This video is more inbetween (2.25)

[video=youtube;IgyDpfSnmTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgyDpfSnmTc[/video]

11. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    The only time I use panhandle grip for a cross court net shot is when my opponent has done a bad return on a smash or a sliced drop shot. Lets say for an example that I do a straight half-smash from my rear forehand corner and my opponent makes a bad return, resulting in the shuttle coming over the net a bit too high. I go forward with my racket up (panhandle grip, 90 degrees) in order to create several options. I can push, drive, straight netshot (by slightly increasing the angle of the racket to say about 100 degrees right before I execute the shot and gently push the shuttle) or I can change the face completely from straight to side in order to make the cross court net shot.

If I'm in a situation where I come from the middle of the court and going to return a net shot done by the opponent, I use the general hand-shaking grip (bevelle?). The reason why I use this grip is because this also creates different kinds of options. Should you use a panhandle grip, you are most likely limited to the cross court net shot or a straight net shot. Through bevelle grip you can make use of the possibilities to make attack lobs or lifts as well, thus creating deception. With a panhandle, this would be impossible I think.

12. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I see. Never realize that's how Zhao gripped his racket. I guess mine is along the line of the second one.
    What I referred to previously however was to use the "other" face of the racket face on the forehand side to play net reply to low serve.

#12 raymond, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  13. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
  14. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
  15. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    They're not the best shots or best camera angles, nor position, to demonstrate what I referred to. Just simply didn't have enough time to search for one such scenario, yet.

16. amleto

amleto Regular Member

17. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Okay. Admittedly, I was confused by the mentioning of backhand grip on the forehand side.:rolleyes::confused:

18. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Okay. Admittedly, I was confused by the mentioning of backhand grip on the forehand side.:rolleyes::confused:

Incidentally, the shots I mentioned are played on the forehand side, however, though they showed backhand. As I mentioned earlier, I couldn't find a better snapshot to point out exactly what I meant.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Surprisingly not many opinions. Perhaps a shot not many people play?

20. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I refrained from replying to this thread as I wasn't completely sure what you were asking.

But after watching Zhao's video, I know what you mean.

Firstly I don't how you can play a forehand, cross-netshot with a pan handle grip. You could play a straight drop/drive/lift but it would seem awkward playing cross court unless you were very close to the shuttle and weren't stretching.

But in most scenarios you would probably be stretching somewhat. I personally play with the backhand grip like ZJH does in his video, but show an open racquet face first as though to play the straight shot, before changing direction.

Same on the backhand side. If I used a pan handle grip, it would limit my options. I feel I wouldn't have enough leverage to play a fast flat drive or lift if I used a pan handle.