Good Badminton Club around Yongsan, Seoul, Korea

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by Baddiefan, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Baddiefan

Baddiefan Regular Member

Places to play near the US Army Yongsan Garrison

I will be moving to South Korea in March 2012 for 3 years due to hubby being posted there and would like to find a good place to play. I am an intermediate-advance badminton player and have been playing competitively for 15 years. In most clubs, I would qualify at the A-grade ladies level. I found a club at Seoul Foreign School that appears to be around 30 minutes away from Yongsan but am not sure whether they are still playing or how good the players are. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. event

event Regular Member

I guess the SFS is not a bad place to try. Very easy to get to from Yongsan. Just jump on the 110 bus and you're there. I just don't know anything about the level or whether it's still going. They used to post on various forums but I haven't seen anything recently. This link has an email address for the same contact person whose name I first saw about 10 years ago.

They only play once a week, though, so if you want a guarantee of higher frequency, and also to be sure you'll have a high level of players, you can find a Korean club. Unfortunately, Yongsan-gu has the shortest list in the city. Still, Namjeong Elementary School, just west of Samgakji Stn, has a club (#5 on the list) that plays in the evenings. #1 and #3 are both around Hyochang Park, near Soongmyeong Women's University so those 3 are all on the other side of the tracks from you but still not far. #4 is outdoor. #2 is perhaps the closest. They play at the Bosung Girls' Middle School, at the back of Haebangchon, which is north of the base and northwest of Noksapyeong Stn. All seem to play in the evenings.

Some of the bigger gyms are also accessible. The 12-court Magok badminton gym is 1km from Yangcheonhyanggyo Stn. but oops, that's 2 subway lines or more as it's on line #9. The big gym in Dongdaemoon-gu is very near Janghanpyeong Stn, which is not that close, but requires only two subway lines (#6 to #5). Both of these are referred to in this thread. Tanzent has played at the former and david14700 at the latter. I've never played anywhere in Seoul, but I've been to a tournament at the Magok Gym.

#2 event, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  3. Baddiefan

Baddiefan Regular Member

Hi event,

Thank you very much for all the information. I just like the SFS because of ease of getting there and, hopefully, no language barrier. Plus, they had a website I could actually read without resorting needing to translate. I will try out the Koreans club in Yongsan-gu as you have suggested. Time to brush up on my Korean. I have visited Seoul before (just for a week) and taken the subway. Might try the bigger gyms once I get more confident getting around without getting lost ;)

Thanks again for your help.

Baddiefan

4. jasparyu

jasparyu New Member

Hi everyone. I am living around Yongsan, Seoul at the moment and wondering if there is any good level badminton club to play at. Very interested in joining.

Thanks for sharing.

5. event

event Regular Member

The same neighbourhood was asked about in this thread. Perhaps a moderator could merge them.

I think one of the clubs on the Yongsan-gu list has since disappeared and two more have materialized but the list is still very short. If you're near Samgakji Stn, you might want to take the #4 subway line to one of the other areas to the north, mentioned in other threads, such as this one. One of the new Yongsan-gu clubs plays in the morning and the other - currently #6 on the list - plays in the evenings, at Boseong Girls' Middle School in Haebangch'on. Again, no first-hand knowledge here. I'm not sure whether Baddiefan has tried any of them.

6. event

event Regular Member

jasparyu, did you have any luck finding a place to play?

7. jasparyu

jasparyu New Member

Sadly, no... Lol, still not finding any places to play...

8. Winexyang1

Winexyang1 New Member

Engineer
    Hi everyone. I am living around Guro digital complex station, Seoul at the moment and wondering if there is any good level badminton club to play at. I am very interested in joining it.Thanks for sharing in advance!!!

9. event

event Regular Member

Hi Winexyang1. Unfortunately, this forum is not too populated with members all over Seoul so the odds of getting feedback on a 'good' club near you are slim. I guess because there are so many places to play, most people just find a place nearby and deal with it and we've only heard about a half dozen actual clubs in Seoul, none of them particularly near you. The closest one I've been too is mentioned in the SNU thread. One subway stop away from you is the Nuri Badminton Gym, straight south of Shindorim Station Exit #2. Look for the blue roof marked 'A' in this map. It is open 6AM-10PM and has 7 courts. It sounds like it's a public facility so it likely has an admission charge. There are plenty more listed for Guro-gu in Korean at this link, but you're actually quite close to the border so many Dongjak-gu clubs might be just as close.

10. aikyneo2905

aikyneo2905 Regular Member

HI Baddiefan

Are you still playing at SFS? I am planning to join in next week and it is my first time playing there.

Thank you for your advices

Regards
    Neo

11. Baddiefan

Baddiefan Regular Member

Hi Neo,

I actually have not been playing at SFS but have been playing at local club near Sinchon station. I have been thinking of trying SFS recently though. I will be overseas soon but will most likely try SFS when I am back in town late July. Please let me know how it goes if you do go there.

Regards,
    Baddiefan

12. aikyneo2905

Hi Baddiefan

I went down to SFS last month during the summerbreak and most of them are amateur players and have been playing around 2-3years. So not very competitive. They play with plastic shuttles on the 21point system. A friendly bunch of players. The session is managed by their French teacher, Vincent. If you need Vincent's contact, drop me another email and I will be glad to provide

How about the Sinchon club? I will be in Seoul next week and will be interested to try them out. Will you be back then?

Regards
    Neo

13. Baddiefan

Baddiefan Regular Member

Hi Neo,

Thanks for letting me know. I am back already but aggravated a recent ankle injury so I am not planning to play this week. I might go next week if you are still around. I will send you a PM with my contact details.

Regards
    Mei

14. b3rnard

b3rnard Regular Member

SFS are playing with plastic shuttles? I'm planning to go there next week for the first time.

But i usually play with feather shuttle near our place in ilsan.

15. aikyneo2905

B3nard

I suggest you contact the organizer before you head down. They are sometimes closed. You can contact Vincent at vincent.olivier@seoulforeign.com. Good Luck

Neo

16. b3rnard

b3rnard Regular Member

yes thanks. i have already been added to their mailing list.

17. Iffara

Iffara Regular Member

Serving Shuttlecocks
    Hi.. Any groups I can join tonight. I'm a leisure player. I'm at Hamilton Hotel, Itaewon