making badminton the best

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by nypockus, Feb 25, 2004.

1. nypockus

nypockus Regular Member

Hi all,

We all know that badminton is a kickass sport to play and to watch and we all play it because it's fun. Badminton will only be a purely professional sport like tennis if the sport is broadcast on tv, not just in asia and in denmark, but in the US and other european countries. If you were in charge of the IBF, what changes would you make to make the sport better? eg maybe have timeouts during the match, change the rules for setting, how to attract big name sponsors etc.

2. freeheeler

freeheeler Regular Member

store manager
    Interesting question

I thought about this whilst watching the Bay Area tournament on Saturday and Sunday. All ages playing from 8 to whatever, 30 to 50 people on all the courts at any given time and not once was there any fights, arguements, major problems and not an umpire in sight, maybe that is the problem, we need a McEnroe. I know in the past that TV companies, especially in the UK said it was too fast to show on the telly, just like squash but surely Tennis is going the same way, with the big serves how often do you see a long rally and any rallies you do see are just back and forth, baseline to baseline.

I think you perhaps need to start at grass level with the schools, getting the kids interested. there is no paper coverage or magazine coverage. " Sports Illustrated " that's a joke. I would also love to see some kind of league system in action between clubs in this area.

a meeting of all involved and interested parties is needed. Manufacturers, stores and players should all attend