Stringing machine for amateur.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by itr888, Feb 26, 2014.

1. itr888

itr888 Regular Member

Hi

I have never string a racket before , but im thinking to string myself.

so the questions:

- Is it difficult to string a badminton racket ( saw some clipp in youtube and looks not so difficult )

- witch stringing machine is good ( around 200-300 £ )

- Is the stringing machine compatible to all brands ( Yonex, Li Ning ......)

2. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    It is not hard to string but it does take patience and time.

I can't say which machine is good for you, it is better for someone who is familiar with your location to recommend machines for you to compare and look into.

Machine is compatible with all brands.

3. itr888

itr888 Regular Member

I string around 7 time's a year, so don't need digital machine and because it's more expensive.

But what's the different between analog and digital.

4. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
  5. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    It's not majorly difficult, but it can be confusing, frustrating and time consuming as I've found out! I got a Pro's Pro Shuttle Express for Christmas and have done 14 rackets so far. My first one took at least 2 hours, now my fastest time has been just under an hour but I can feel that I'm learning more with each one I do.

The Shuttle Express was the cheapest and smallest machine which was important considering I don't intend on stringing very often, plus I can put it away easily when I'm not using it. For my requirements it does a decent job and the stringing jobs that I have done seem good enough to me! It's not the best finished machine in the world, and sometimes I think fixed clamps would be useful, but for an entry level machine I'm happy with it.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    stringing a racket isn't rocket science, but it is a skill that takes time to master.

a good place to start is to watch other people string. our BadmintonCentralTV youtube channel is a good start:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BadmintonCentralTV

watching other people stringing is how i started. at that time, there were no youtube or anyone to teach, just hang out in badminton stores, observe and go home and experiment.

watch the longer video to get a feel on how the whole flow works. there are also some specific tutorials, some are more advanced, some are not.

it takes a while to really get a smooth flow. buy the thinnest and most fragile strings you can find (Ashaway Zymax 62, BG66, etc) and maybe you will get to string a new racket every 2 weeks if you are relying on your own playing.

7. itr888

itr888 Regular Member

THX for the advice

I maybe buy some cheap stringing machine just beacause i like badminton and why not
    string my own racket. I think it will be fun specially its mine racket im stringing.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    make sure it is not too cheap. there are some really horrible machines out there. do ping us here to make sure. esp stay away from the cheap Eagnas, despite how cheap and attractive they look.

9. itr888

itr888 Regular Member

witch should i choose of these. witch is easier to use

[h=1]Pro's Pro Shuttle Express Badminton Stringing Machine[/h]
    [h=1]Pro's Pro Challenger II Stringing Machine[/h]
    [h=1]Pro's Pro Challenger I Stringing Machine[/h]
    [h=1]Pro's Pro Pilot Stringing Machine[/h]
    [h=1]Pro's Pro TX700 Electronic Stringing Machine[/h]

10. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

I own a Pro's pro shuttle express and would recommend you spend a little more and get the Pro's Pro challenger 1.

The PPSU is a nice little machine, however it is not very newbie friendly (crank machines have the highest deviation in tension as it relies on very consistent pulls). Additionally, it requires frequent calibration in my experience. If you're experienced and string often, cranks can be very good and fast. However it requires lots of practice to make good stringjobs.

I purchased a Gamma Progression 602, 6 point ratchet dropweight machine and I find it much more user friendly. Very nice stringjobs and the ratchet system is SUPER easy to use. Of the ones you listed, I'd get the Pro's Pro challenger I. It's got a ratchet drop weight system like my Gamma and fixed clamps. You can't get much better for a beginner machine in that price range.

11. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    I learned to string from this forum and youtub, I've read every pages in this section, because I found my former stringers very inconsistent with their works, either the tensions vary from time to time, or they didn't straighten the crosses. it's a hobby or a second side job , who's know in the future? plenty of infos here for you, and the feeling of stringing a perfect racquet is so good. later on you can try other patterns , tying knots....experiment with new things. Finally good luck and welcome to the club.