User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,173
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Holding the grip tightly while defending and upon impact

    Hello bc (:, I kinda have a problem
    Here and I noticed I always grip the racquet hard before impact and defending. But I heard you're supposed to keep a loose grip until upon impact. What is the benefit of this? Because I feel like I smash harder and defend faster and better with gripping hard but the cost of hand blister or that could just be my
    Worn out super grap. Thanks (:

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    367
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Benefit of the loose grip is to be able to "snap" at last second. If one grips tightly, one cannot maximum speed and power. Ever watched Bruce Lee? Loose until impact. It's like playing loose vs playing tense.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,452
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    it is also has to do with flexibility. if you grip it tightly esp on defense, sure, you can feel be more prepared and secure, but you will not gonna be able to change your grip if needed.

  4. #4
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,612
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Doesn't matter whether attacking or defending, a loose grip is important for 3 reasons.

    1. To allow finger power to be generated when going from relaxed to tight grip.

    2. To allow the muscles to recover between shots.

    3. To allow quick grip changes.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,173
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Doesn't matter whether attacking or defending, a loose grip is important for 3 reasons.

    1. To allow finger power to be generated when going from relaxed to tight grip.

    2. To allow the muscles to recover between shots.

    3. To allow quick grip changes.
    Okay thanks, I'll try to grip looser.

  6. #6
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,612
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exert View Post
    Okay thanks, I'll try to grip looser.
    Yep, as Zhao JianHua mentioned in one of his coaching videos, so loose that if someone were to sneak up on you, they should be able to steal the racket from your hand.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,173
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Yep, as Zhao JianHua mentioned in one of his coaching videos, so loose that if someone were to sneak up on you, they should be able to steal the racket from your hand.
    Oh wow :0, okay thanks so I grip tighter close/upon impact correct?

  8. #8
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,612
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yep............

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,173
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Yep............
    Thank you, I appreciate it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,508
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exert View Post
    Hello bc (:, I kinda have a problem
    Here and I noticed I always grip the racquet hard before impact and defending. But I heard you're supposed to keep a loose grip until upon impact. What is the benefit of this? Because I feel like I smash harder and defend faster and better with gripping hard but the cost of hand blister or that could just be my
    Worn out super grap. Thanks (:

    no it's not the grip.


    you keep the grip loose for flexibility.

    i always tell people that when you hit the shuttle, your wrist should be similar (not exactly the same) to when you are whipping a towel at someone at the beach. you know how you whip a towel and with the snap back movement...and when you whip hard enough, you can really hurt someone. i see as that, except it's with the racket. so it's more of channeling power from the rest of your body to your wrist, and not so much all the power generated from the wrist itself. so in the end, it's not really holding the racket tight that will give you that power. i was taught to hold the racket, for the most part, as if i'm holding a tube of toothpaste...which implied that strength from your fingers is important as well

  11. #11
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,612
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    So to take your toothpaste analogy one step further: while holding an opened tube of toothpaste, nothing should come out when holding it in preparation, but at point of strike you should squeeze it so hard that all of the toothpaste should squirt out a few feet away.

    So, Exert, time to look for bulk toothpaste to go on sale.

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,675
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    no it's not the grip.


    you keep the grip loose for flexibility.

    i always tell people that when you hit the shuttle, your wrist should be similar (not exactly the same) to when you are whipping a towel at someone at the beach. you know how you whip a towel and with the snap back movement...and when you whip hard enough, you can really hurt someone. i see as that, except it's with the racket. so it's more of channeling power from the rest of your body to your wrist, and not so much all the power generated from the wrist itself. so in the end, it's not really holding the racket tight that will give you that power. i was taught to hold the racket, for the most part, as if i'm holding a tube of toothpaste...which implied that strength from your fingers is important as well
    Or when you use a whip but that example has a double entendre. LOL

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ooo... toothpaste and whips on a badminton forum?

    Com'on guys there are kids on here y'know!

  14. #14
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,612
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lol... I didn't even see the "other" connotation with toothpaste being extruded/excreted out of a tube... until you mentioned it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •