Gliding Foot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kbase, Feb 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Hi all !

I want to learn gliding my foot for improving the footwork. How to improve gliding and if this topic has been already posted, can somebody share the link as search for gliding the foot in forum haven't got me any results. Thanks in advance for the guidanceprovided.

2. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    I'm guessing you are referring to your non-racket leg. You use this in order to break speed on lunges. It's hard to tell exactly how much you use it, but you probably use 85-90% of your racket leg and the rest for the non racket leg to break speed. Use it too forcefully and you will end up with a sour groin. It should be more like a natural movement. Just as with an overhead stroke, you want your leg to follow through. Not all the way to your right leg of course, but partially.

3. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

What's foot gliding? You should land on heels rather than gliding at the last step.

4. kbase

kbase Regular Member

I am hopping while moving backwards rather than moving my feet. This makes me tired and thereby not getting a proper foot movement and obviously lagging in speed to reach the shuttle from net drop to backhand cross court. So any suggestions to improve foot gliding ?

Thanks

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    To be honest, I don't think many people know what is meant by 'foot gliding'. Hence, the lack of comments.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

That is from improper balance during the shot leading to improper balance on landing.

or

Incorrect technique during the shot leading to improper balance on landing.

Incorrect preparation can lead to all of the above.

In order to stop the backwards hopping you must have your read leg behind you far enough so that it can push you forwards despite any backwards momentum. This is one reason why body rotation during overheads is important - it get's your non-racket foot behind you for a good push-off.

Obviously ideal preparation will ensure that you are not moving backwards during the shot, but this is not always possible.

There is no such gliding/sliding technique taught or indeed possible on good badminton courts. We are not playing tennis on clay!

#6 amleto, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  7. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Exactly what I am coming to say. Thanks for the very much clarity both in the explanation and usage of words. I know the technique of coming back to the base post drop but the problem is with the foot movement while coming back . I am reaching the shuttle with the proper footwork but recovering is very clumsy. How I improve my recovery and I know the technique but not applying during the course of the match and also lagging very much in speed of footwork.