Balanced Power Racquet??

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by CrunchyAdams82, Mar 1, 2014.

1. CrunchyAdams82

CrunchyAdams82 Regular Member

Hi there,

I have an 18 year old 'Yonex Isometric Power 600', and I was just wondering what the closest current alternative would be.

Thing is, I love this racquet. But firstly, it's rather old now & is showing it's age in terms of cosmetics, as well as the amount of vibration feedback I get from it. Secondly, if it ever got broken, I would have no way of replacing it.

If I could, I would purchase several more..but that isn't possible, of course.

So I am now left with only one option; find a suitable replacement.

The best way I can describe this racquet (for those who are unfamiliar) is that it is perfectly balanced, yet provides shed loads of power. It is delicate around the net, and pretty good in the accuracy department. Defensively, it is excellent..if I can get to it, I normally return it! So a true all-round performer.

Sounds like the perfect racquet. Well in my opinion, it is (for me).

I am a big hitter, and would class my 'domain' as the back of the court. So smash is extremely important. I like to devastate the opposition in 2 or less smashes where possible. But I also like to mix it up with an array of disguised drop shots, and 'last second' deceptions. So manoeuvrability is key in that respect.

I have recently purchased a Z-Force; strung with BG80 Power at 26lbs Cross/24lbs Main..and it is sublime..apart from one thing; defence.

I keep consistently mis-hitting, or altogether missing smash returns..due to the extra head weight I assume. And this is quite a big deal for me. Part of my play is to lift on a smash return - back to source, on the assumption that I can return the next shot. Thus eventually forcing the mistake, tiring the opponent, and shaking their confidence. So compromising that part of my game is disappointing to say the least.

So, two questions now I guess;

1. Will I naturally get used to the Z-Force if I play with it exclusively?

or

2. Is there an obvious alternative for the Iso 600 that I've missed?

I have done a lot of research, but I am struggling to find the racquet I need. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Maybe something like the ArcSaber 11 would be more alike ... (although the Iso 600 is an oldskool "short" 664mm racket vs the 10mm longer rackets of today so that'll always feel a little different)

#2 demolidor, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  3. CrunchyAdams82

Yep, that would seem like the obvious choice I agree..but I tried a friends' Arcsaber 11 - also strung in BG80 power @ 26lbs, and it just felt noticeably lacking in the power department. More of a control racquet that one I'd say.

4. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    looking for a balanced power racket? arcsaber11 is totally out of the question,arc11 is purely a control racket,too much power sacrificed.
    try arc10,nano800
    or get a zforce 4u and play with it,because once u got used to this racket,u will know it's a beast..but definitely need some period for u to get used to the extra head weight and the stffness rated at 5/5.
    gotta need some training in order for you to crave out the true potentioal of zforce.

5. decoy

decoy Regular Member

The adidas adipower pro is pretty balanced (mine was right around 295) and it was made for power and I think it delivers.

6. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Check out the Li-Ning N50III racquet. It's used by top international players like Zhao YunLei and Ma Jin. It's a more balanced racquet with a medium stiff shaft making it easy to play with.

7. CrunchyAdams82

Does anybody else question the accuracy of the Yonex racquet chart?

There's a few examples that just don't make sense to me, that's all..

Attached Files:

8. CrunchyAdams82

The Li Ning does look interesting..

9. CrunchyAdams82

And here's a few pics of my new Z-Force..just for fun. :)

It really is a superb racquet, but perhaps not best suited to the faster pace of doubles. Or maybe I just need to get used to it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I did originally have Arc10 in mind (known quite a few power hitters using it; a bit too sluggish for my liking) but a.) it is discontinued and b.) the 11 was supposed to be an improvement with more power ... but apparently not [​IMG]. The thing with ArcSaber is they work better (best) at high tensions, probably 28lbs at minimum. I'm guessing this offsets the "holding" properties of the series ...

That Adipower Pro is a good suggestion and iirc can be had fairly cheap in the UK (see it for 93GBP at directbadminton)

Nanoray series makes sense as an even balanced and stiff series but I haven't seen anyone mention it in the same sentence with "power".

All in all it makes a bit of difference whether or not you are willing and able to buy rackets outside of the UK as some of the suggestions are not even available in the UK ...

11. CrunchyAdams82

Yeah, don't mind buying from overseas..as long as I can be sure what I'm buying is genuine. Got my eyes on a Carbonex 50 actually. Anyone got any experience with that racquet?

12. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    give arc11th at 29 or 30...it gives you different feeling,instead of the "too-much-controlling" feel when u strung below 28/27. agreed with [MENTION=1495]demolidor[/MENTION].
    give the nanoray750 or arc11th like what i just said.

13. CrunchyAdams82

Ok, I'll bear that in mind. Thanks.