Gamma Progression II ELS?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by vctrku, Mar 1, 2014.

1. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Hi, I have been thinking of buying a stringing machine and was wondering if the Gamma Progression II ELS would be a good and suitable machine for me starting out since I have never strung a racquet before.

I have pretty much decided on getting an electronic machine as that seems to be the best option if it can be afforded and I can. If this machine is not the best choice, what would you guys advise me to get in about that price range?

As this machine looks quite good with six point supports, fixed clamps (that is a good thing right? lol), and being electronic, what do you guys look for to determine if a machine is good or not with such a large price range in seemingly similar machines? Eg. What is the difference between this machine and the Yonex ES5 Pro?

Since I am going to be learning on this machine what other tips can you give me? I have been and will continue reading and watching a lot but can always use some personal tips! At the moment I use 28lbs tension but I am sure that is not a good starting point to learn right? LOL Also how do you determine which pattern to use? I know for some racquets like Yonex, they tell you which pattern to use but what do you do for other racquets?

Would anyone know of stores in the GTA that sell quality stringing machines? So far I have only seen them in American websites but many of them do not ship stringing machines to Canada and I would prefer not to go down to pick it up.

I was also wondering if I was to purchase the Gamma Progression II ELS, is it capable of stringing all racquets such as tennis, squash, and badminton as is without any extra equipment? Will those fixed clamps work with all racquets? Also, as it states in the online stores all equipment is included, so is the Gamma Tension Calibrator or any other equipment required since it is an electronic machine?

Thanks a lot for all your help!

2. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Hey could someone please give me some advice here? I just want to know if the Gamma Progression II ELS is capable of stringing all tennis, squash, and badminton racquets as is? I know the supports should be able to move and accommodate for different racquet sizes but would these fixed clamps work on all kinds of racquets?

Would I need any other equipment with the purchase of this machine such as the Gamma Tension Calibrator, starting clamp, or extra flying clams?

Thanks!

3. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

Hey, The gamma progression II ELS looks very great and if you have the money why not. I have a gamma progression 602FC and it works great with badminton and tennis, not sure about squash. However gamma machines you will probably need to buy badminton fixed clamps as the ones provided are either tennis or universal and buy new 12 oclock posts for the load spreader(or mbs loadspreaders). This will cost you probably an extra 180$usd. Starting clamp wont be included but its a good to have becuase it is very useful. The difference between this ~1200dollar machine and yonex and etc is probably differs of better mounting and the function of the stand as it can go up or down and etc. as you can see the gamma one is a table top, however i do believe it is just as accurate as other electronic machine as it should come with prestretch and w/e function is available in other machines. I remembered i strung 30/33 lbs on my zforce when i first got my drop weight and it was frightening, so id recommend stringing on a another unimportant racquet first at around 24 or 25 lbs just to practice. There are so many things to learn once you start stringing and even now after a year or two there is something to be improved in technique wise.

4. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Wow! Thank you so much for your reply! Your information was very insightful! I think I will try giving Gamma a call just to make sure which fixed clamps are included. The "universal" clamps do not work for badminton?

Where did you buy your badminton fixed clamps from? In all the online stores that I found the machine, they do not carry the badminton clamps since they are primarily tennis stores. Just as a slight side question, is it possible to retrofit the Wise tension head on a drop weight machines such as yours, or is it only an upgrade for crank machines? I have planned on getting the MBS load spreaders with the machine as I am sure that would be much cheaper than the actual Gamma parts.

I would think that if a machine is capable of stringing both badminton and tennis racquets, squash would be no problem even though the shape can be weird. I definitely would not be stringing my first racquet at 30/33! I do not trust myself enough! LOL Even though I do not play at those tensions I wish to be able to string at those tensions just to test it out and experiment!

Thank you so much for your time and sharing your experience!

5. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

I believe the new machines now that you order are in universal, but apparently they are not as good because they can't reach into the small parts of the racquet when stringing. I bought them at atssports http://www.atssports.com/tennis.cfm?product=839. RIght now it seems to be out of stock probably because they are not using the 4-teeth ones anymore. However e-mail them as they are quick to reply and quite helpful. Also it is possible to put the wise tension head on my machine, but you need to buy a drop weight bar adapter apparently. I am planning to get a wise in the future.

6. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    The Universal fix clamps work fine on Badminton. The old 4-teeths or the new 5-teeths are good for badminton.
    The old 4-teeths is stainless steel is heavy, but very well design and build, very durable, soft to close. And I love the design how the adjustment wheel work, it will never move once set.
    The new 5-teeths is aluminum alloy, very light weight, with 5-teeths has good grip on the string. The only downside was the diamond coating do not reach the tip of the teeth. And also when you close the clamp without the string, the diamond coating touch, feel like they they going to ground out soon or later.

7. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Hey, thank you guys so much for your help! You really helped me seal the deal on getting this machine! I contacted Gamma Sports and they even told me that there is a Canadian distributor quite close to me so it is even better for me so I do not have to drive down to the US to pick up my machine if I was to order it there! I just have to wait for the distributor to reply back to my email and if the prices are not ridiculous, I will definitely get it! I am so looking forward to this!

So, if I was to get the MBS load spreaders, the other badminton specific support components from Gamma are not necessary right?

Again, thank you guys so much again for your help! I really hope the questions I asked and the answers you guys provided can help other people new to stringing too!

8. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

If u get the MBS load spreaders they don't actually fit the posts, so u have to actually get a sander machine and widen it so it will fit

9. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Ah, that is fine. A little bit of easy machining work would not phase me and I am sure it would still be easier and much cheaper than the actual Gamma parts. I see many people stringing badminton racquets on Gamma machines with the MBS load spreaders now. I think Kwun uses that on his Gamma 6004 right?

10. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

I believe kwun actually got the gamma loadspreader post.

11. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Hmm, interesting. I thought that I saw he had a white load spreader where the one from Gamma is a metallic post with a black rubber cushion. Oh well, I am sure they all work fine.

Just to be sure, the badminton specific support attachments, let alone the entire badminton upgrade is not necessary right? It would cost $300 so I would be quite reluctant to get the whole upgrade if it is not required. It just looks like there is a more narrow opening but the original supports should suffice right? Thanks!

12. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

The badminton side support is included. Only upgrade for me was the loadspreader and the gamma badminton fixed clamp. Since the new machines come with universals then , no you don't need to upgrade anything unless u want to.

13. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Okay, thanks for your reply!

14. PhetPui

PhetPui New Member

Vctrku any update on the machine you bought?
    I am looking to buy the same machine. Who did you contact in Canada?

Thanks for the help in advance.