grip size and power

Discussion in 'Grip' started by doodoo, Feb 27, 2004.

1. doodoo

doodoo Regular Member

this may be a very dumb question:

does different grip sizes have any effect on power? i.e. can you hit harder with a larger grip than a small grip? or is it purely a comfort kind of thing? thanks in advance for your reply

jack

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    all depends all your grip style and power execution.

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Smaller grip size can produce a wallop amount of power but up to a point.

Smaller grip size allows one to fully utilize the second & third joints of fingers as the fulcrum of the rotating racquet. A big grip limits the fingers' ability to hang onto the grip and thus lessen rotational speed. But there is a way around a big grip! You can strengthen the fingers. With stronger fingers you (the fingers) will be able to hang onto the big grip.

#3 Pete LSD, Feb 27, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2004
  4. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Smaller grip allow me to move my finger easier, therefore more control and precision. However when I smash my fingers seem to slip easier with smaller grip no matter how thacky the grip is.

Slightly bigger allows me to swing harder and faster but can hardly move my fingers. I'd say G4+ tiny layer of electrical tape+ karakal pu super grip is the best size for me.

Everyone is different. I also notice that with a bigger grip you tend to play more with your arm than your wrist so if you are a wirst player stick with smaller grip!

Oh yeah guys, dont forget to check my review on the Ti-10^^

Ill also post a review on the new pair of shoe that I will get tomorrow, it is Mizuno wave epic.

#4 Brave_Turtle, Feb 27, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2004
  5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    1. It really depends on your style and your hand size :)
    2. I personally found that, G3.5-4 is the best for me.
    If I have G5, I will put two layers of overgrip; G4, I will add one.

Yes, Gripping is important, it's the only way you can hold your racket well and put everything under control.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    First thing i will concern is, if the grip size will fit for my hand or not (not just grip it, but if comfortable, etc). Then, I will worry about the performance.

Overgrip is a good "tool" to slightly increase the grip size, ultra thin ones could be 0.44mm, and thicker ones could be ranged from .60mm - 0.75mm.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i'd say most youth/adults' acceptable grip sizes will fall between G5 and G2.

first you need to find your personal range. perhaps a size of G5-G3 will all be "comfortable".

if you feel like you are holding a tennis racket, then the grip size is not in your comfortable range. if your feel like you are holding a pencil or if your racket tends to fly out of your hand, then the grip size is not in your comfortable range.

give you know your own comfortable range, then you can ask the question, "within this comfortable range, which grip size gives more power?"

and my answer to that question would be the smaler sizes would give you more power. a smaller allows more freedom for the racket to move with respect to your hand. this free movement allows better transmission of power from finger to racket.

smaller grip also give you better control from ease of manipulating the racket.

i personally use G4 with one overgrip. you need to find out on your own what is the right size.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    The comfort level depends on how tight you hold it and how often you hold it tight. You'll be surprised how comfy it feels regardless of what grip when you relax your hold and only tighten on impact with the birdie.

Actual grip size: G4 with thin overgrip.

Ideal grip size: G5 with thin overgrip.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It is important not to have too large OR too small a grip.

Too large a grip will prevent you from holding the racket loosely. What many people don't realise is that the same thing happens with too small a grip. If your grip is too small, you will be forced to clench the racket tighly just in order to prevent it flying out of your hand.

Choose a grip size that allows you to hold the racket *comfortably* in the fingers (not in the palm of the hand).

10. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

Thin grip hard to slice because moving too much and net a bit shaky while medium size grip more stable meaning better control.