2014 OUE Singapore Open SS

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / New Zealand Open / China Master 2' started by Loh, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    http://www.sportshub.com.sg/sportshubtix/events/details/oue-singapore-open-2014

Show Dates[​IMG]

8 Apr 2014 - 13 Apr 2014

Venue
    Singapore Indoor Stadium

Price

EARLY BIRD SEASON TICKETS
    (Available from 17 Feb to 7 Mar)

Premier
    Adult: S$120

Cat A
    Adult: S$78
    Senior/Student: S$38

Cat B
    Adult: S$40
    Senior/Student: S$18
    Child: S$3

Note: Above prices exclude S$7.50 booking fee per season ticket

STANDARD SEASON TICKETS
    (Available from 8 Mar to 13 Apr)

Premier

Adult: S$150

Cat A
    Adult: S$98
    Senior/Student: S$48

Cat B
    Adult: S$60
    Senior: S$28
    Child: S$8

Note: Above prices exclude S$7.50 booking fee per season ticket

STANDARD EVENT DAY TICKETS
    (Only available on respective
    event days)

Qualifying Rounds (8 Apr)
    Adult: S$18
    Senior/Student: S$10

Preliminary Rounds (9 & 10 Apr)
    Adult: S$18
    Senior/Student: S$10

Quarter Finals (11 Apr)
    Adult: S$38
    Senior/Student: S$13

Semi Finals (12 Apr)
    Adult: S$40

Finals (13 Apr)
    Adult: S$44

Note: Above prices exclude S$1.00 booking fee per ticket for tickets under S$30 | S$4 for tickets S$30.01 and over

BUY TICKETSView seating plans »[​IMG]

BUY TICKETS

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lee and world’s top shuttlers to play at OUE S’pore Open

[​IMG]Lee Chong Wei with the 10th Malaysian Open trophy he won on Jan 19. Photo: Getty Images

By Dan Guen Chin

Published: February 28, 9:20 PM

SINGAPORE - The OUE Singapore Open 2014, which will be held from April 8-13 at the Singapore Indoor Stadium, is expected to feature most of the world’s top players in action at the US$300,000 championship, incuding men’s world No 1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia.

As the two-time All-England champion and double Olympic silver medallist confirmed his decision to play in Singapore today after a three-year absence (Lee, the 2008 champion, lost in the quarter-finals in 2010), so have the badminton bodies of South Korea, Japan and Indonesia sent their full squads at this year’s US$300,000 tournament.

The latest development has buoyed the Singapore Badminton Association’s confidence that thsi year’s Singapore Open will be filled with top-ranked stars.

“Of course we cannot attract all the very best to the meet but I am confident that we can have 70 per cent of the world’s top ranked players in Singapore. And that’s good enough to add glamour and competitiveness to the championship,” said organising chairman Lee Yoke Weng.

Reigning men’s singles champion and world No 3 Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia, will return to defend his crown. Current world No. 5 Kenichi Tago of Japan, and compatriot Kento Momota, the 2012 world junior champion are also in the fray. Likewise Thailand’s Boonsak Polsana (No 6) and China’s Du Pengyu (No. 7).

The only notable absentee is China’s Chen Long.

The world No 2 and heir apparent to Lin Dan, the two-time Olympic gold medallist, is not in the list submmited by the Chinese Badminton Association. Chen, 25, is the reigning All-England champion and the winner of the Korean Open in January where he beat Malaysia’s Lee in the final.

World No 3 men’s doubles pair Kenichi Hayakawa and Hiroyuki Endo and the top Korean partnership of Ko Sung Hyun and Shin Baek Choei have signed up too to do battle with the world’s No 1 men’s doubles pair of Hendra Setiawan and Mohammad Ahsan of Indonesia.

In the women’s singles, the world’s top two of Wang Yihan and Li Xuerui of China will face competition from South Korea’s Sung Ji Hyun and Bae Yeon Ju, who are currently ranked World No. 5 and 6 respectively.

“It is going to be exciting to see so many top players confirming their participation and I am sure the competition will be keen,” said SBA’s Lee.

He added that the SBA is also looking forward to the participation of top shuttlers from Denmark.

“Traditionally Denmark has always been here and supportive of the Singapore Open and I hope it will be the same this year,” he said.

Top Danish players include men’s world No 4 Jan Jorgensen, Casten Mogensen and Mathias Boe, who are also ranked fourth in the men’s doubles, and Kamila Juhl and Christina Pedersen who are No 2 in the women’s doubles behind China’s Wang Xioli and Yu Yang.

Tickets for the OUE Singapore Open can be purchased at www.sportshubtix.sg.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ticket pricing very reasonable.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Especially for seniors like me. ;)
    But booking fee of $7.50 is hefty. :eek:

Online booking seems rather busy at the moment and I still can't confirm my booking. :mad:

Very short time to March 7 for early birds! Better hurry up to enjoy discounts :p

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I almost bought the Premier Season tickets.
    Well, almost.

A buddy called to warn me that, unlike in previous years, the seat numbers are fixed.
    This means that even if the seats facing an ongoing match are empty, you won't be able to sit there.
    You would have to remain in your fixed seat number and watch the match from there!

Since that is not a very encouraging prospect, I've decided to settle for the free seats on my TV couch :p

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think your last option is the best. However I'm not sure whether it also applies to Cat B. But the hefty booking fee is a big 41% slice of my season ticket price! Doesn't make much sense to charge so much more than before just for booking.

I'm 'moved' to stay fixed on my TV couch and forget all the hassle! :D

Unfortunately no chance to meet up with Bobby again. ;)

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I have to confirm whether they are really charging $7.50 booking fee for the Early Bird Season Ticket but still can't get through to them by phone.

8. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    Just got the tix, quite sure that the $7.50 is a must. Since the transaction is done. Hope to enjoy the whole SG OPEN. Cant wait to see lcw play live =x

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Good for you. Did you book internet?

10. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    ya bought via internet.

11. kampungboy

kampungboy Regular Member

Sales
    I bought my early bird Cat B season ticket last Sat. The seats are fixed throughout the tournament. Price is reasonable esepcially for kids ticket but $7.50 booking fee is a big rip off. Imagine booking fee is more expensive than early bird Ct B kid ticket of $3!

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I totally agree and that's why some senior citizens like me are not too happy having to pay up to about 40% more just for booking. It was much more reasonable the last time by SISTIC.

Unfortunately with the new Sports Hub Tix setup, it is a monopoly and they can charge unreasonable fees such as this. There is no competition and it is no good for badminton fans like us!

I may have to give this Open a miss and watch on TV like some BCers here do.

13. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    This SG open , has 90% of the top players. Consider a very rare occasion. Quite lucky that SG OPEN were to bring forward, if it was on june back to back with indo open. I don't think the attendance will be as good as now.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Agree but this is not the time to cut people's throat with exhorbitant booking fee for the early bird.

15. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    Compare with last year , the premium was cheaper? I think last year was sgd200?

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think you are probably right.

Last year tickets more expensive in gerneral.

This year booking fee's turn.

17. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    120 compared v 200 is a lot diff. So I don't really care about the booking fee. Since im going for the premium. Hope to see lcw in action LIVE before he retires. Not much chances to see him in live action ><

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I understand your position.

I would love to go too but for the inconsistency in the pricing of the booking fee, I am inclined to stay at home and not make the many trips to SIS.

Actually I quite like the idea of fixed seating as you do not have to fight for a seat, especially when you are late and know some empty seats have been "choped" for friends who come later and may not be able to make it in the end.

But you sacrifice the different angles that different locations can offer from different seats.

19. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    Ya agree ! I guess this SG open might be full house since they introduce no seats.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    This could be my last S’pore Open: Lee

Age and risk of injuries mean world No 1 may retire next year

By Dan Guen Chin

Published: March 5, 4:04 AM

SINGAPORE — World No 1 men’s singles badminton player Lee Chong Wei’s much-anticipated appearance at next month’s US$300,000 (S$380,620) OUE Singapore Open, after an absence of three years, could also be his last.

In an interview with TODAY, the 31-year-old Malaysian, who won the tournament in 2008 and reached the quarter-finals in 2010 — the last time he played in Singapore — revealed he decided to compete this year because with age and the possibility of injuries, he is unsure if he would still be playing next year.

He explained that his tight schedule had prevented him from making more appearances in Singapore.

“I have always loved coming to the Singapore Open, but I have not done so for the past three years because of the timing of the tournament,” said Lee, a two-time Olympic silver medallist and two-time All-England champion.

“The Singapore Open is normally held just before or immediately after the Indonesian Open, which all the world’s top-10 ranked players must take part because it is a Premier Series. Because I have to compete in the Indonesian Open, it meant I had to skip the Singapore Open for the past three years because both competitions were held back to back.

“But it’s different this year. The Indonesian Open (June 17-22) is not held back to back with the Singapore Open (April 8-13). That means I have the choice of coming to Singapore and I will do it.”

Lee, who is known for his workrate and reflexes, added: “If I don’t come this year, I might not have the chance again. At my age, and with injuries always a possibility, you can never tell.”

He was referring to the ruling instituted by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) when the sport’s world governing body introduced the new Super Series in 2011 with 12 stops, with the All-England, Indonesian, China, Denmark and Korea Opens — it was replaced by the Malaysia Open this year — ranked as Premier Series level meets that offer a minimum prize purse of US$500,000.

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) confirmed it was a deliberate scheduling of Lee’s tournaments to help prolong his career.

“Since age is catching up with him, we want to make sure he stays fit and injury-free. Playing too many tournaments is no good for him,” said BAM General Manager Kenny Goh.
    Lee just recovered from an ankle injury suffered two weeks ago, and which nearly jeopardised his participation in this week’s All-England Championships in Birmingham.

“The Singapore Open has always been a part of my career with all the ups and downs,” said Lee, who was also a losing finalist in 2004.

“I have many friends, especially in Johor Baru and I am sure they will come and lend me their support when I play in Singapore. So when I received a letter from the sponsors inviting me to take part I accepted.

OUE Singapore Open organising committee Chairman Ng Yoke Weng said Lee’s confirmation is a major boost for the tournament. He said: “A player of his calibre will always be a crowd puller. His presence will boost the attendance figures.”