Technical question about racket weight 3U/4U

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Mekodexman, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Mekodexman

Mekodexman Regular Member

Hi Communitiy,

i have a question and hoping to find an answere here...

The manufacturers produce the same racket in different weights. For example Yonex U3 and U4.
    My question is, if the lighter U4 and the heavier U3 version is just a result of the thickness of the grip, or come the weight difference from diffences in the frame???

In other words, is the extra weight of the 3U only in the grip? So if the wooden grip would be cut of the racket, would be the U3 and U4 frame the same or different weight?

That the weight difference results just out of the thicker/thinner grip would be logical for me, because
    1.) The heavier 3U alwasy come with the thicker grip, and the 3U always with the thinner grip.
    2.) I hardly can believe, that the manufacturer designs and produce in the high end line of rackets frames with two different weights... It would be a big extra work...

On the other hand some people say, that playing a 4U is completely different than a 3U racket, which can´t be, if the extra weight of the 3U is only in the grip...

Thanks in advance for any feedback![​IMG]

2. infurno

infurno Regular Member

Student
    Don't quote me on this but i'm pretty sure that the difference in weight comes from a lighter/heavier frame. Hope that answers your question

3. Justheretoplay

Justheretoplay Regular Member

Student
    They just use less material throughout the entire frame. You can sort of compare it to the thickness of a bubble tea straw compared to a normal straw with the same diameter.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

The manufacturer does not exactly plan on making a 4u or a 3u. They just make it to a specific target and by factory tolerance and variation whatever falls below is labeled 4u and whatever above is labeled 3u.

5. Mekodexman

Mekodexman Regular Member

Many thanks the replies, now I understand the concept behind the 3U/4U.
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION],
    that sounds very logical to me!

6. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    Visor is right
    plus if there is an outlier (outside the 3U and 4U for example 79 or 91gr) usually they will gonna drill the handle, adding or removing some weight on the wood to achieve the desirable range

7. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I would guess this as well. If anyone has not seen the production of a racket, it's really mostly hand labor from what I've seen. So tolerances that can swing the weight between 4U and 3U are expected.

8. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    Let say At 900P 3U vs 4U, we all know 4U has more control-same string + tension-same grip-same professional player usewhich one will be able to generate more power?

9. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I tried quoting the post above me but didn't work.... It depends on a few factors. Some players have an easier time generating power from lighter racquets, even among the pros you can see variance in the way they swing. The players that have very fast swing speeds would get the advantage from light racquets because they can swing faster, slower swingers would get more power with the heavy version because their arms can't go any faster to get the advantage of a lighter racquet.