Defending the middle

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by pcll99, Mar 3, 2014.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    For doubles, who should return the shot which is smashed right in the middle?

please assume both are right handed. thanks.

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

It depends!

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    It is ALWAYS the cross court defender, because they have the most options. That is why you should never lift down the middle. It does not matter who is defending forehand or backhand or anything - the cross court defender has the option to play straight defence, which will go away from the attacker and his partner, or go straight back at the attacker and confuse their partner.

Good luck!

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Thanks.

Let's say I am the cross defender and I was able to return to shot straight to an empty space (eg, near the rear corner).

Should I then move up to the net? same for MD and XD?

thanks.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Sorry, typo in the previous post. It should read:

"Thanks.

Let's say I am the cross defender and I was able to return the shot straight back to an empty space (eg, near the rear corner).

Should I then move up to the net? same for MD and XD?

thanks.
    "

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

If you push it to the rear corner and you know the opponent is going to be late to it, then you'd be right to stay up for the inevitable drive or drop to the net. Let your partner handle any weak high lift towards the back.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    This is now just a case of tactics. Yes - feel free to simply move forwards and take the net, your partner should go backwards in court. However, it may be your partner is better at the net and you are best at the back, so you should go to the back and they should go forwards. OR you can both stay side by side, both ready to pounce forwards or go backwards and smash (sides attacking).

8. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

The receiver should be the one who can return the smash with a backhand block/return. A backhand return for smashes are much easier to control. However if the shot is a clear to the middle rear while receivers stand side by side then the receiver who can hit it with a forehand, also the same reason that it is easier to perform a forehand clear/smash/drive from the rear of the court.

9. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I've heard three theories over the years on who should take the smashes to the middle, one of which is probably wrong.

1. The one that can take it forehand - this one is probably wrong. It assumes the one taking it with forehand is the best person regardless of situation. It also ignores the fact that in under-hand shots, backhand actually is more versatile and stronger than forehand. Today, I still hear some otherwise good players say this to me on court.

2. The one that can take it with backhand - this is an extension of #1 above, though I'm wondering if this applies to forehand/backhand choice, rather than players. Presumably, both players can use backhand, though one of them may be in a better position to use it than the other. E.g. when defending against a straight smash down the right hand side (even court).

3. The one that is cross-court from the attacker - this is the one I clearly remember hearing from a top ex- Doubles professional (from Chinese National Team). The cross-court player may still prefer to use backhand defense, but this doesn't preclude the use of forehand if needed. This frees up the straight player to defend against the fastest straight smashes. And in here, I learned about the other reason from Matt earlier.

Regardless, the attack to the middle is very effective. The middle may be ambiguously defined. It doesn't have to be exactly the point geometrically equal distance from each player. There's a transition somewhere each player thinks it belongs to his partner. At this point, the cross-court player will not stick is racket out trying to return it.

#9 raymond, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    My coach told me the cross court player should take it.

He also said the cross court player should cover about two third of the court.

11. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

what if there is not cross court player? ie smashed from almost exactly in middle and to the middle of the other court?

12. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I think it really depends, depending on how strong their forehand/backhand defense for smashes. My forehand is stronger and has more control, so if it comes right down the middle and it's towards my forehand, I would be the one defending.

My coach didn't mention anything with regards to playing in such a way so long as the defender knows how to get back to position depending on the shot he/she returns.

13. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    That's why it's not a good idea to do defensive clear to middle, as your opponents would attack/smash your middle.

For regular partners, they may have a way to break the "tie". Maybe always the one on right hand side takes it, with backhand. Or as some suggested, the stronger defender takes it.

14. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

I prefer players on the forehand side to return middle shots.