Coach changed my grip, unable to play.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by agdwh, Mar 5, 2014.

1. agdwh

agdwh Regular Member

I have been playing for years and years with Panhandle grip. I have started taking session from a certified coach. He said that my grip is absurd and changed me to use V grip. I am unable to play with this grip. I am not able to smash, drop and place. Coach's view is that that V grip is the right grip and it will take me time to adapt.
    Suggest if he is right.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    No pain = no gain especially to hit clears like a 13 year old.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/139281-How-could-13-year-old-girl-hitting-clear-consistently?p=2204544&highlight=#post2204544

3. Mr.H.

Mr.H. Regular Member

Student
    I think he is right. You will have to learn to use the V-grip if. It might take a while because it is hard to 'unlearn' wrong technique. But after a while you will probably notice improvement, there are lots of shots that you can't execute correctly with a panhandle grip. Also the panhandle grip doesn't allow the same level of disguise, deception, smoothness in play and touch/finesse.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Your coach is correct. Fact.

Good luck :)

In order to help you practice just the last part of the swing i.e. elbow raised, ready to reach up and hit the shuttle. Now just make sure this bit sees your strings going straight - it will then be easy to play with the new grip :)

5. Redjack

Redjack Regular Member

Shouldn't take that long especially with a coach, it took me about a month to get used to the right grip and swing techniques with no coach and only learning through watching youtube videos

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Whilst this is very good, it can be achieved much quicker. I recently coached a group of players who had been playing many years. Some of those players used a panhandle grip. Every one of those players was able to make the change to the correct grip within 1 hour on court of practice. As you would expect, this resulted in massive improvements! Change can be instantaneous - as long as you use the correct training/coaching methods and focus hard.

Good luck everyone!

7. Redjack

Redjack Regular Member

I agree, I used to use a fist grip and a corkscrew motion for 10 years so unlearning was very hard, but the most important part I was leaving out while learning was forceful pronation, after I started to use pronation correctly my smashes were steeper and waaaay more powerful, now whenever I'm training and the shuttle comes up high, I often hear opponents say ''oh s**''

It's a nice feeling :cool:

8. BernieR

BernieR Regular Member

I heard some commentators comparing Ratchanok's grip to the grip used by the top Chinese women, they said the Chinese teach a panhandle grip, but that now they will have to change to meet the challenge presented by Intanon and others. I'd be interested in comments, in view of what has been said in this thread: the Chinese women have dominated the sport, can the panhandle grip be so utterly wrong?

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's a very interesting topic. Certainly, there seems to have been a trend to panhandle for the women's singles. But at the same time, they have built up the physicality of ladies singles as well.

For overhead panhandle grip, it is definitely harder to play cuts and slice drops. I think the disguise in the shot cannot be so good. But at the same time, a slight panhandle can make the shuttle go straighter on the smash.

Intanon has a very classical overhead action. She prepares the arm so the opponent cannot see her elbow or hand on the preparation. I think that adds to deception.

Before, it didn't seem to matter because player and coaches were getting used to the new scoring system. The ability to hit the shuttle down was important. With the straight pathway of te shuttle with panhandle, the Chinese coaches might have thought this ability would override deception. Naturally, we might suppose strength and ability to bang the shuttle on the floor was important. But now, we see matches of a duration similar to the old system. We are seeing some very long rallies. Coaches may be re-thinking of going back to more deception.

10. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

From my learning experience, there's no right or wrong over which grip to use for clears, smashes and drops, but coaches prefer the V grip as it's flexible and versatile. There's almost no adjustment required when changing from clearing to netting to lifting. Not much adjustment is needed as well to handle the backhand shots (except backhand clears).

The panhandle grip, on the other hand, doesn't offer this flexibility nor versatility. From personal experience, this grip also lacks finesse and control. The only advantage I see with using panhandle grip is the speed and power it offers.

Therefore, I would go with the coach's suggestion to use V grip.

11. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

where is the speed and power in panhandle when OP is in awe of 13 year old girls clearing :rolleyes:

wouldnt the male pros switch to panhandle for certain powershots if it would offer speed and power? i think they would, but they dont

12. kbase

kbase Regular Member

I can hold V-grip during training but even during training I am so much obsessed on holding V-grip ( as I used to hold improperly ) but during the matches my hand automatically moves to improper grip and later post point only realising that I haven't hold the pen grip. In what way can I improve this ?

13. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    You need to stop playing games and start practising until you are comfortable! Then go back to games. To help motivate you... If you practised correctly for two solid hours you would get the hang of it... And the practise doesn't need to be on court or even with a shuttle!

Good luck!

14. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I don't believe that's quite accurate. They probably said the chinese teach a slightly more pan-handle adjusted grip. The chinese ladies certainly don't go round playing with full-blown PH grips.

Yes - the Chinese women do not use full pan handle grip.

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Wrong. There may not be only one correct grip, but there definitely are incorrect grips for shots.

16. Ramcov

Ramcov Regular Member

Student
    you should definitely switch grips to the standard/basic one you will gain so much in the long term. but seriously i used to panhandle and it took ages to switch without only game nights and youtube vids to practise from but once you get the swing of it you'll never go back, trust me:D! Play feels so much smoother.

Also since you have a coach should be faster since they can show you right technique and feed+ drill etc. It will probably also help the coach… coach you in later stages. Im not a coach or anything but I imagine it could be hard to coach someone who doesn't use the basic grip:/

anyway good luck to you

17. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I can confirm, from being right behind their court at the all england, that Wang Yihan and Wang Shixian both appear to use a grip that is twisted slightly towards panhandle. However, Li Xuerui appears to play with a more conventional grip.

Thanks to whoever pointed this out, its very interesting! However, their technique is, to me at least, far less elegant than other players, and certainly does not compare to the mens singles players.

18. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Thanks very much for the reply. I am not able to apply my presence of mind during matches in holding the V grip but very eager to practice. The curiosity of winning the match/rallies matters more here rather than perfection of the grip or shot. I need to first concentrate on the techniques rather than playing matches

What is PanHandle grip and the modified version of it by Chinese players ?