Forgot to cut racket strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Redjack, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Redjack

Redjack Regular Member

So I broke the strings in my racket the other day but I forgot to cut the rest of the strings before I gave it to a friend to get it restrung, it has been lying in his bag for about a week at this stage, will this warp the racket alot? It was strung fairly low at about 22-20 lbs

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    at this tension, I think it's ok.

3. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Agree, at low 20s, should be fine. What your friend should have done if he is the stringer or knows anything about stringing is first thing, help you cut the racket strings. When I receive rackets, I check for frame damage, grommet wear, and cut strings. Discuss with the owner of the racket with any issues I find on the spot and choice of string/tension/colors, etc.

#3 mater, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  4. Redjack

Redjack Regular Member

Thank god for that, I'm bringing a scissors anymore I'm getting it restrung at 26 lbs so it won't be as forgiving next time

Thanks mates

5. Redjack

Redjack Regular Member

He wasn't the stringer, he's a pretty top level player sponsered by Babolat, the person he gets to string them is a stringer at a Badminton facility so I didn't have the chance to buy strings before I broke it so I have to make do with the strings the stringer picks, another of my friends got his restrung recently by the same person and he used white Yonex BG55 so I'd assume that he will use the same on mine, I wonder if he will also change some grommets that are cracked?

#5 Redjack, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    If he does replace the grommets, good, if not, it's not too big of a deal, I've seen new strings on many cracked grommets and generally the strings hold up fine. It's a matter of the type of mis hit on the specific damaged grommet and timing or swing of the hit. More than often, strings hold up fine even on worn grommets. I wouldn't be concerned. Enjoy your new strings and tension.

7. armagius

armagius New Member

Please forgive my ignorance, but why do players cut the strings on rackets with broken strings?

8. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Just think what would happen to the shape of the frame if the strings not being cut.

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    when a string breaks, it usually only breaks on one spot, either the main which goes top to bottom fo the racket, or the cross, which goes from left to right of racket. if either one string breaks, the tension on the frame of the racket will not be balanced and it might leads to breakage of the frame. when i was in grade school my rackets were strung at 17-18lbs, so if it breaks, i would just wait till i have a chance to take it to a stringer. now, decades later, i string my own racket and i know how to maintain a racket so i would cut it to prevent the frame from warping. even tho now i only string it at 24x26 which is considered low tension, i rather be safe than sorry. :)

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor