Mizuno Wave Epic

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Brave_Turtle, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys,

I've been searching good shoes for several weeks and made my choice on top of line shoes from mizuno, the mizuno wave epic.

I did a search and realized that no one is using it, is there something wrong with these shoes?

Too expensive? Too wide? Too heavy?

However those shoes seem to have a lot of technologies behind them and I can't stand to try tomorrow when Ill receive them.

2. Traum

Traum Regular Member

3. Brave_Turtle

Student
    Hey man traum... for your info Ive read this thread many times but it doesnt answer my question.

I need some feedback from someone who used it and what they think of it. Timeless doesn't seem to have tried them before, he just said what the info on the shoe was saying.

#3 Brave_Turtle, Feb 28, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  4. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hmm... judging by your original post, I suppose you've already received your shoes?

I tried the Mizuno Wave Epic myself, and personally, I didn't like it as much as my lowly Yonex SHB-55LT. The shoe (Wave Epic) itself is quite nicely made and appears to be very sturdy. However, my biggest complain when I tried them on was that the Wave Epic was quite a bit heavier than my Yonex. More importantly, the sole of the shoe is rather thick, and it made me feel like I could easily roll my ankle (although wood22chuck, who has a pair of Mizuno Wave-something, assured me that you just feel like it might roll, but it actually won't). Another issue about the thicker sole is that I couldn't feel the floor underneath my feet as much.

Rackets & Runners here in Vancouver was selling it for $189. Canucks Stuff in TO is selling is for $149, I think.

-Rick

5. Brave_Turtle

Student
    Hey guys,

Thanx Traum for your review. I received my new Mizuno wave epic today and tried it for the first time. They are brand new and I tried them for 5 hours. Here's what I think of it:

My old shoe were Sugi court Plus XL and Yonex SHB89. I love my old SHB89, they give me good gripping, good cushioning and a good ankle support. It is also very light and low, I really felt playing with socks because the sole was somehow flexible. The problem is, it has poor durability! It only lasted me 5 months of intense playing, 3-4 for times a week, 4-5 hours per session.

Durability was one of the factor that pushed me to try other brand.

When I searched for other brand I became very interested for Mizuno technology altough they were more volleyball oriented than badminton.

The mizuno wave epic is their top-of-line shoes along with the Stratosphere. The shoe itself looks very sharp and well done, it was shining on the court. We can see alot of gadget by simply turning the shoe and it no doubt packed a lot of technology.

When I wore them, I felt a bit weird. In fact, like Traum was saying the shoe is a bit heavier and it has a thicker sole than my Yonex. However it was very very confortable. The shoe has hole everywhere (top, sides, sole, bottom) and the ventilation thingy really works.

I was very worried for my ankle at the beginning because the sole was very thick but the Biolock is amazing. I'm a player that jump-smash alot and we could hear the wave technology doing it works when I jumped high enough. On the impact with the ground, the shock is dispersed by the wave underneath the sole and we can hear the plastic doing a funny sound.

Overall, I'm really happy of new shoe. I can't really tell wheter it is durable or not but from volleyball forum it seem to be very durable.

By the way I paid it 53$ US + 13 $ shipping wich comes cheaper than my SHB 89. If you want to know where I got them just PM since I can't advertise here.

Thank you.

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Turtle, is there a picture you can provide? since Mizuno has so many shoes.....

7. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Asics Gel Typhoon. It rolled on me a week and a half ago resulting in a nasty sprain. RICE got me playing in a weeks time. Now I've stopped using them.

I was in the backcourt and spied a slow drop. I "glided" from the backcourt using sweeping motion, and around midcourt my right foot ended up pointing around 45 degrees to the left. My momentum carried forward, and ankle rolled.

I HIGHLY recommend you do not use a shoe where you can actually feel a "significant distance" from the court surface to the sole of your feet. How significant? If you're the least bit concerned, don't use it. Incidentally, that's why I dislike SUV's, too, but that's another story.

-dave

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Darn! Dave, I rolled over my right ankle last Friday. I wore SHB 92 EX with two layers of insole: the lower one is a Wilson Gel and the upper one is an Addidas. I swear that the sole isn't too thick to affect ankle rollover. But it just happened. The game wasn't intensive at all: sideway movement from the rear-left court to the rear-right court.

RICE did most of the trick but the tear of ligament left behind plenty of purple and black bruises. So, I will not be playing intensive baddie for another three weeks. It's so frustrating to sit and watch other people play :(.

#8 Pete LSD, Mar 1, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2004
  9. muzikfreakah

muzikfreakah Regular Member

Well what I know is the wave epic2 has the fan-wave designed for flatfooted people. The wave lightning model with wav-parellel is designed for normal footed people. Im a flat foor and im going to order the wave epic2 myself also :)