Cycling

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Steve the noob, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Does anyone here in BC do road cycling? I want to start but would like to hear some peoples experiences before hand.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

At least one 'notable' here on BC cycles.
    No doubt He will weigh in.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need comments from BC members before you start cycling? :confused:
    It's a great sport. It will keep you fit. So, if you want to do it, go do it! :)

3. Steve the noob

I already cycle to get places and such, it's just my bike is broken beyond repair, so Im wondering if it's worth investing in a road bike while I'm at it. (Since I want to cycle as an exercise rather than just transportation) :)

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

My advice on buying new gear for cycling: Buy only what you need for what you are going to be doing.

If you are taking it up seriously (100k+ rides, racing, etc) then join a local group, take their advice on bike fitting, proper training, etc.

But if you just want to get fit, then spend smart. I was served very well over 20 years by two well-built but affordable bicycles. I got quite fit riding to school/work and going for 30-120 minute rides without having to spend thousands in gear or clothing. Over that time I gave-in and adopted padded shorts and clip-in shoes (ah, I kind of miss the old, life-threatening toe clips). But really, cycling can be infinitely expensive if you get caught up in the 'fashion' game. Just be true to yourself and have fun. :)

5. Steve the noob

Thanks, I'm trying to keep it on a budget, since I don't want to be spending $$$ for the latest bells and whistles. Well time to save up for a new bike.

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    At least get a decent bike - not one from wal-mart or target. I bought my road bike for $400 20 years ago, and it's still running great. My brother-in-law bought a $150 bike from wal-mart 2 years ago, now the gear is hard to shift, the brake is making noise, ... Also mine is much more energy efficient than my brother-in-law's bike. I don't mean a $10,000 bike used by Lance Armstrong. I think one in the $1000 range should be a good beginner bike.

#6 Qidong, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  7. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Bought a $850 beginner road bike (Fuji Newest 4? Forgot already) 3 years ago. Logged only ~300 miles on it, partly due to badminton, laziness, and inconvenience to bike to work. Still think I spent a bit too much on the bike and other accessories.

8. Steve the noob

I'll take my schedule into consideration. I will have the summer free, but I'll have school after. Plus badminton and other extra circulars, it wouldn't be the best idea to blow so much on a bike. I'll hunt for deals, but I suppose I've have to be patient until then.

9. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Oh, check craigslist too, if you don't mind a used bike. Sometimes an old and trusty one (trek) is much better value than shiny, or so I heard.