drop shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by harry, Apr 23, 2001.

1. harry

harry Guest

any other technique that i have problem with is drop shots, wat is the proper way to do a drop shot anywayz? cos i'm trying to work on my drop shots now but got confused by how exactly to hit the bird.
    do you do the same stroke as smashing but stop/slow down at teh last point and hit the bird just pass the net
    or do you swing and use your wrist to drop it
    or do you slice it to get it over?
    ??? suggestions/instructions/descriptions would be helpful

2. Zico

Zico Guest

im no expert, but this is how i do mine. I usually either slice or backhand (usually backhand cus i still gotta practice drop slicing :) and i tend to miss it often, but whatever floats your boat:) ) when dropping back against the opponents drop, or if he smashes and you try to hit it back, dont apply strength because if it is a hard smash then it shouldnt require too much resistance to send the shot back especially if its a drop. I usually dont try to drop when my opponent clears it to me, but in certain cases or under certain curcimstances, i just sort of do like a soft drive depending on how far from the net you are.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    All the alternatives you gave are valid.

Your goal should be to disguise your drops, i e to make it look like a hard shot (smash, drive, clear) until the last moment. If you slice the drops you don't need to apply so much of this stopping motion.

However, it takes time to master. I would advice you not to think so much about sliced drops and/or deception... Concentrate on placement, and do your drops with slow arm/wrist movements... a sort of slow motion shot. It doesn't matter so much if your opponent easily "reads" your shots if the placement is good. When you feel you master these basic drops you can start experimenting with sliced drops and deceptive "stop motion" drops.

4. May

May Guest

Can u hit the shuttle low, pressing it down yet???? Because i think u should learn that first. Then go for the drops. My drops arent that good, especially the ones to the back.

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    What you need to make them look like a smash, but instead of hitting the bird, you give it a tap. What you practice them, try to aim at the very top of the net(tape) when you hit, since this is a very good method for a drop shot.

6. harry

harry Guest

ya, i think i'm okay with placing and basic drops thatz why i'm looking at overhead drop shots now. how exactly do you slice the bird overhead? do you slice the side or bottom? how?

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    You can do it anyway you like, whatever your hitting preferences is. I use a diagonal slice.

8. Nathan

Nathan Guest

perfect model

hi could u please tell me or explain the perfect model for the drop shot.
    could u reply a.s.a.p coz it is for my alevel c/w which is to be handed in next week

Thanx for your help
    Nathan

9. Steplantis

Steplantis Regular Member

Broadcast Engineer
    Re: perfect model

If you use the search function and look for a reply I posted before about slice drops/cuts you should get some pointers. Also I posted a Japanese website with Java videos of many different shots ( almost all in fact ) where you can watch the pro`s playing the shots in slow-motion and work out what they`re doing. I think that`s a better solution than someone here just giving you an explanation - decide for yourself what`s happening and the best way to describe it. Good luck!!!

10. harry

harry Guest

there is no perfect model for drop shot cos the racket doesn't do anything for you when you do an overhead drop shot, itz the player's skill that determines the perfection of the drop shot. As for under hand drop shots and ones at the net it is the stiffer rackets that are better, i fink i read that somewhere before

11. Re: perfect model

my overhead drops are tip-top, but my underhand sux like hell. always lift the shuttle too high in underhand. for overhead i always slice the bird. it works well for me!!

PS: pls gimme tips on underhand drops

12. May

May Guest

This drop, got me delegated to playing at the back, in state of at the front, 'cos the irritating coach believes that since i can do it in playing in the front, i can do it at the back as well, and i haven't been playing well ever since. boohoo.

13. harry

harry Guest

how exactly do you slice the bird?

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

Pebul:

You have to mentally knows where is the tape. You also have to use deception too as a potential underhand clear or else your opponent would catch on and rush to the net to get your underhand drops

15. Re: perfect model

for me the underhand cross in no prob, but to do it straight sometimes i juz hit it too high, hardly too low.