User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zhang Nan to Cai Yun : Ma Jin to Zhao Yunlei.

I notice that Zhang Nan at the net does not go for the kill nearly as much as Cai Yun. And when he does, it doesn't have the same power or speed. Zhang Nan plays more like Ma Jin, happy to simple block the shuttle back.

He should definitely try to improve on this area of his game.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya , he make too many mistake, should apply more on the drive, kill, back hand tap on the net more like what Hendra do for indonesia .

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has any man ever excel as a XD player as well as a net player in a MD pair?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    Has any man ever excel as a XD player as well as a net player in a MD pair?

Park Joo Bong.

Kim Dong Moon.

Maybe Chris Adcock - Chris does relatively well by blocking across the net.
    Last edited by Cheung; 03-16-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lee Yongdae won olympic gold in XD and plays the net in MD.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

*slap hand on forehead* how could I have missed LYD?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give him time. Zhang will get better.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe Zhang Nan is trying to follow the path of LYD!!

Win a gold medal in XD in the first Olympic, and then pursue a second gold medal in MD in the second!!

hope Zhang Nan has figured out how to use ADAMS!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diverdan View Post
    Give him time. Zhang will get better.
    Hopefully he would.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is the next pair of MD that I will love to see they excel.. Hopefully this pair will last till the next olympics...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this will be the top MD team from China. Zhang Nan plays MD really creatively and differently, so its fun to watch him. He likes to dominate the net and set up Fu Haifeng.

For a guy that hasn't competed in MD for basically 3 years...to just pick up a racket and already be a top 5 pair in the world is remarkable. Once he figures out all the things with Fu, he'll be a real contender.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zhuangcorp View Post
    For a guy that hasn't competed in MD for basically 3 years...to just pick up a racket and already be a top 5 pair in the world is remarkable. Once he figures out all the things with Fu, he'll be a real contender.
    Are you sure? Although Zhang Nan's main discipline is not MD, he has featured in MD quite regularly (6 tourneys a year) in the past 3 years (albeit with less-talented partners):
    2013 (6 tourneys) - with Chai Biao (Korea, AE, WC), with Qiu Zihan (Malaysia), with Li Gen (Macau & Dutch)

2012 (6 tourneys) - with Chai Biao (Thomas Cup, China Masters, Denmark, French, China), with Li Gen (Thomas Cup, Macau)

2011 (6 tourneys) - with Chai Biao (SSF), Tao Jiaming (China Masters, China, Hong Kong), Xu Chen (Korea, BAC)

And predicting them to be a top 5 pair in the World is just early based on the results over the past 3 tourneys. I will wait for half a year more to see whether they can really be counted as one of CHN's pair for the Rio Olympics 2016.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's true that he's played a few MD tournaments a year. But most of them it seems like he didn't even practice for them. There's always a strange circumstance.

either 1) He is paired with a new and random partner (usually a far inferior partner like Li Gen) and it looks like they haven't even practiced together
    or 2) in the WC in 2013 ZN only qualified to play the WC last minute. I remember he was playing a american GP tournament when he suddenly pulled out because BWF sent him notice that he qualified with CB for the WC. Again...they didn't even have time to practice.

So what I mean is that he hasn't done hard training, worked out strategies, planned out tactics. Most of his MD is just very sudden. I mean, even the All England 2014 he didn't even qualify, and made it into the draw last minute off the reserve list. He couldn't have even had proper preparation for it. So now, for the first time it looks like he's getting time to carefully plan, strategize, and make a real partnership with Fu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zhang Nan offers a different approach to dominating the net. Soft play on service receive to play the net shot at sharp angles instead of trying to push down the middle lane. He's not the strongest, fastest, but in my opinion one of the must tactically sound players on the circuit. His shot placements, and tactical awareness is simply outstanding. Even saying that ZN is not the best physically, he's not weak or slow either. His shots are simply put a highly effective form, smash with speed and angle, soft shot that sets your partner up. He's a prime example for being a well trained athlete who possess not one single skill that stands out, but his excellence in being an all round player is his "special skill" or flair.

His tactical awareness, and his unwillingness to play the fast drive game that makes current men's double fast and furious, might be what sets the new pairing apart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CY/FHF's pairing worked well with FHF being a the hammer from the back of the court and CY dominating the rest.
    ZN's pairing needs some work with FHF coz they play differently together due to various skills and it seems like FHF is improving his non-smashing plays.
    I think ZN should try to replace CY's role coz FHF is good where he was and was winning while he was there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 0ozafo0 View Post
    Zhang Nan offers a different approach to dominating the net. Soft play on service receive to play the net shot at sharp angles instead of trying to push down the middle lane. He's not the strongest, fastest, but in my opinion one of the must tactically sound players on the circuit. His shot placements, and tactical awareness is simply outstanding. Even saying that ZN is not the best physically, he's not weak or slow either. His shots are simply put a highly effective form, smash with speed and angle, soft shot that sets your partner up. He's a prime example for being a well trained athlete who possess not one single skill that stands out, but his excellence in being an all round player is his "special skill" or flair.

His tactical awareness, and his unwillingness to play the fast drive game that makes current men's double fast and furious, might be what sets the new pairing apart.
    Totally agree with your points. This pair will be deadly if FHF has the stamina/strength to last throughout the grueling match. At the Swiss final (FHF/ZN vs HW/CB), I observed that FHF was kind of running of out steam in the 2nd game. If they play as 2nd MD in Thomas Cup, this will be a sure point for China... boleh?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zhang Nan's approach to net play is surely very different. He almost never lifts and likes to play hairpin shots or pushes. But 1 thing i would like to see him change is that he is a bit TOO eager at times to get to the net. That makes FHF do almost all of the hard smashing work.

Zhang Nan should feel comfortable to do some smashing as well. After all, he does all the smashing in his XD. He seems intimidated to smash in the MD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast