Is this string job acceptable?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Warlock86, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Warlock86

Warlock86 Regular Member

Dear all,

Recently, my favorite stringer went away for vacation so I went to another stringer to string my MX JJS. However, I noticed that the string has "eaten" into the grommet. Should I get the stringer to replaced my grommet or leave it till the next string job? Thanks!

Best regards,
    WL

20140309_232142.jpg

20140309_232129.jpg

2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Cut it bro before the string eats even further into the frame. If you get the grommet replaced you at least still have a chance of limiting the damage. Also that stringer should have been more observant about the grommets.

3. Warlock86

Warlock86 Regular Member

Bro, you are right. I just cut it away and found that there seems to a shallow cut into that particular damaged grommet =(

#3 Warlock86, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  4. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Go get a refund... He should have replaced the grommets..

5. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    What a coincidence...I just found that exact same problem on my freshly strung MX JJS as well.

Time to go back to my stringer and request for a refund. :mad:

6. Warlock86

Warlock86 Regular Member

I don't think that I will go back to the same stringer. Once bitten, twice shy. The string job might cost only 16 sgd but the damage inflicted may break the racket =(. I am not sure if the same stringer will do a good job.

7. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

I do not fully agree... A grommet should be replaced when it has split (inner side or outer side) or on the outer side the frame is visible inside the grommet, or if the string broke on a grommet.

I do agree the grommet needs to be replaced on the next string job, but this grommet may have appeared without problems when your stringer got the racket (did you remove the previous string or your stringer). It could have split when putting tension on it, and this can easily missed during stringing.

If it was split before the new stringjob, he should have replaced it, but a refund a new stringjob seems a bit overkill.

String "eats" into grommets, no harm there. If a stringer should remove all grommets which show eating damage, than every grommet should be replaced on every string job (you don't want that, as replacing grommets can always damage the racket when they are taken out).

Some new rackets I see nowadays have such a thick paint coat which goes into the hole, that even without a grommet there would be no harm.

As to harm done to the racket.... Which one do you think wins, carbon fiber with a "sharp" edge or a soft nylon string under tension.....

If I was your stringer, and maybe I'm a bad stringer ;), I would only refund if the string breaks on the grommet, and as said would replace it on the next string job.

8. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    While I understand your point of view and agree with most of it I still think the stringer should have turned the grommet.

9. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

I think so too (hidden in a lot of other text), but it's always possible to overlook a grommet (and just focus on the shared holes).

Asking for a refund and especially cutting out the string right away because of possible racket damage is a bit over the top imho.

10. Warlock86

Warlock86 Regular Member

Thanks guys for your valuable feedback. I have decided to cut the string and let my regular stringer to string it. Due to the broken grommet, the earlier string job has made a deep mark on the surface along side of the racket. I personally feel that this is not acceptable as it inflicts a huge damage on my racket.

11. dollargood

dollargood Regular Member

Where did you string?

12. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Can you take a picture of this?