Brand New Coaching Blog

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Stupendous, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Stupendous

Stupendous New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm Stu and I am new to the forum. I am a Victor sponsored coach and work with Paul Stewart here in the UK :)

Just thought I would let you know I have started work on a badminton blog which will include coaching articles.

My first article on 'gaining power and control from your grip' went live yesterday and has received positive reviews. Have a look and see what you think.

http://badmintonguide.wordpress.com/2014/03/09/more-power-control-from-your-grip/

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Welcome, Stu!

Good first article on your blog. :)

Would mid court drives be a good drill to practice finger power (and quick grip changes) ?

3. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Welcome!

Very interesting. It was a very informative read and I looked at my own grip. I definitely edge towards holding in my palm. I will try this out in a few days and try to practice and see if it makes a difference in my overheads. Thank you!

4. visor

visor Regular Member

I've been told by a few coaches that in the relaxed non-hitting state, the handle should only be gripped lightly by the third, fourth and fifth fingers, while the index and thumb should just touch lightly.

And if someone were to suddenly sneak up behind you, they should be able to steal your racket away from your hand.

That's how relaxed it should be.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Probably an extra picture looking upwards at the hand and fingers would help.

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I would have known it was you just by your username "stupendous"! Good article mate.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Good article. You can try uploading some videos onto youtube.

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

using this grip, please could you describe the actions taken when tightening? If you naturally clench the fingers wont the racket face change orientation as the handle is pulled towards the palm?

9. Zoidius

Zoidius Regular Member

Welcome to BC!

An Interesting read, at the contact point with the shuttle, are you tightening your grip with all your fingers and thumb equally or mainly with your bottom three fingers? (if it depends on the shot, assume smash/power swing)?

10. Mr.H.

Mr.H. Regular Member

Student
    Nice article!

11. Stupendous

Stupendous New Member

Thanks for the responses guys, always good to receive feedback and questions as it helps add to my understanding too.
    Visor - Yes I would definitely say that mid court drives are a way to practice finger power. Alternatively, as a kid I always used to practice against a wall with a heavy racket for strength training and the shuttle would bounce in different directions, forcing me to change grips.
    Off the court I also use hand grips to strengthen the muscles.

amleto - The point at which you tighten your grip should be a fraction of a second before the shuttle hits the strings. So, on the overhead your forearm should have already pronated so that the strings are facing flat towards where you are aiming. If you are pointing the racket head in the direction you wish the shuttle to travel then tightening on impact should not have a significant impact on accuracy, infact, as the racket is very firm on the hit from tightening, it should be more accurate than an action where tightening does not occur because it should be very stable in the hand.
    What this does is focus power into the exact moment you need it, rather than the power being diluted over a long swing. That's why the pro's get such a lovely sound from their overheads, because they have focussed their power at the exact point of contact.
    I tighten my grip with my 3 bottom fingers, to bring the but of the racket into the palm, but the best thing is just to try it and see what works for you, you may come up with a better way for you. In my opinion coaching should not be about somebody telling you exactly how to do something, and you copying. We are all different and some of us can find something that works better for us. That is how technique in general has moved on and changes over the years.

12. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Thanks for the blog. Posting a video would be of great help to the beginners like us.

13. reytave

reytave Regular Member

Database Administrator
    thank you for the article! one question though, this means that your grip has to be on the thinner side coz you won't be able to grasp the handle with your fingers using a thick grip. so do you still have the original grip under your overgrip?

14. Stupendous

Stupendous New Member

You will see that the majority of pros play with thing grips to give them the ability to change grips and racket angle quicker and easier. It is possible however to use finger power with a thick grip, you just have to be very adept at keeping the majority of the grip out of your palm.

I usually have a very thin grip over the original grip, but it's all to do with personal preference. Try out different grips and see which feels right for you