Planning to buy Yonex Voltric Z-Force 2. Need string help

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Sole174, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Sole174

Sole174 Regular Member

Hello guys,
    I am planning to buy a Yonex Voltric Z-Force 2 racket. I have never bought a racket before so I am not sure how much tension and what type of string I should buy. I would say I am an intermediate player. I like to be offensive player and I like power and control. I am thinking of buying a Nanogy 99 string with ~24lb tension. Any tips or suggestions on string and tension? Thanks for helping!

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    if this is your first time buying a racket, I suggest not to go for a high tension. 22-23lbs should be suffice (you can cut it if you don't like it.. or try one with 24lbs, and the other with 23lbs.)

NBG99 is a good string, other choices will be BG66 UM, BG80, and Ashaway Zymax line (Zymax 62 or 65)

but it really depends on what you aim for, most of the above are thin strings, which has good performance but bad durability. if you prefer durability, then you need thicker string such as BG80, NBG99, etc

for the tension, rule of thumb, the thinner the string, the tighter they will play
    for example: NBG99 (0.69mm string) @24lbs
    BG66UM (0.66mm) @ 23lbs will have the same tightness as the NBG99 @ 24lbs
    Zymax 62 (62mm) you need to go down by 2lbs @22lbs to achieve the same tightness

3. kiko_n

kiko_n Regular Member

trader
    Good choice on zforce II , i would recommed using bg 66 ultimax JP at @26. Hope you have fun with it .

4. Sole174

Sole174 Regular Member

Thanks guys for your information! Hmmm... I might want to get a NBG 99 but I'm still not sure about the tension. Many people seem to have higher tensions especially with the NBG 99s.

5. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    If it's a first racquet I don't think z force II would be a good choice.....

6. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Too high...

7. Sole174

Sole174 Regular Member

I don't really meant "first racquet". I used over 10-20 racquets before its just that I've never bought one myself.:D

8. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Oh wow could've mention that! Sorry I misinterpreted it :) what tension do you usually play at?

9. Sole174

Sole174 Regular Member

Just normal tension. 21-22. Sometimes even less tension where the strings are so loose you can move them around lol.:p

10. kiko_n

kiko_n Regular Member

trader
    Trust me its not

BadmintonPro likes this.
  11. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    you can't put your standard for other people..

rule of thumb:
    18-20 beginner
    20-24 intermediate
    24 above advance

12. okooko

okooko Regular Member

Student
    Got my VTZF2 with BG66 at 26lb in black lol yeah white just didnt suit me aesthetically...

I've got some racquets that are <20lb easily, stock strung and been used for 10years +
    But if you are accustomed to 22lb, then stay with 22lb on the ZF2 and increase it after

No point having it at 26lb if all you are going to do is cause injury

try getting used to the racquet geometry and timing before you up the tension. better to change one variable at a time and a new racquet i'd consider as one big variable.

13. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    if u r considering to buy a zf2 and planned to string it below 24...PLEASE DONT BUY THAT RACKET! you cant fully crave out the true potential of the racket at such a low tension. try bg66um at 25 or 26 4 knots or 26 2 knots.
    i just got myself a zf2 4u and it was strung with bg80power at 29lbs,string gone last night when i accidentally hit the top of the frame and decided to go for maxima 31 4 knots this afternoon. i would say zf2 is a decently fast racket which wont have the drag effect u experienced on other hh racket,therefore it wil provide u a solid hitting feel which cutting thru the air fast enough....so go for higher definitely brings no harm...

14. Sole174

Sole174 Regular Member

So is 24lb alright?

15. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I'm sorry but that isn't true. Not everyone is like you and can handle higher tensions. It's all about personal preference doesn't matter if it's 24 less or plus.

16. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Go BG 80 power 23 lbs.

17. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    Wouldnt recommend bg80p at 23lbs. I would say go for 25lbs, because by the time tension got evenly distributed on all parts of the string bed, you will feel it is actually around 23 or 24.. and thats better to play with ..same goes to bg66um.
    EXERT : I am just offering my honest opinion..but seriously, no point having such an immaculate racket with it strung at such low tension. You will not feel anything special, same goes go arc11th and zspeed. People who bought zspeed have been complaining it provides a numb feel and its so hard to tame with including I myself, but you see..mine was strung with bg66um 26lbs at first..4 knots haribito method, I only used it for the first 3 point in a double game while the rest were finished with the zf.Just like the rest, I almost got it sold and I thought of giving this racket a try for the last time before I sold them off. Went with nbg99 at 30lbs and it totally out-performed the zforce1, surprised me with how the mid flex shaft works with the speed frame, providing such a solid hitting feel! Everything yonex did came for a reason, I used to blame them for what they did in the zspeed but then i realized some rackets arent really for beginners or intermediatte...SOMETIMES NOT EVEN AMETUER PRO..who thought they have the correct styles in playing. My friend could play apacs kawasaki strung above 32. But not my zforce and zforce2 strung only at 30lbs.all the technology used in yonex helps the shuttler to enchance their game , NOT MEANT TO MAKE THEIR GAME MORE FORGIVING like helping them to produce good clear even when they dont possess the right styles of swinging and etc. I would say..dun follow the trend, choose what it feels right for you, not US.. at least, get the zf2 and strung with what types of string u usually went for.. and then play with it from there. Go with thinner string will make u falls deeper to the zf2 , if u r totally beginner and have never get used to the stiffness, weight of YONEX, dont get it..start from the mid range racket first, they could prepare u better for those high range tankiessss... hope my 5 cents advise helped,

Pewdslover and ShibuM like this.
  18. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    exactly, just like nbg98 and bg65ti, they shine in high tension, give it a try at 27 -29 lbs 4 knots, not 2 knots..if its 2 knots, go 27lbs would do... I just strung mine with nbg99 at 31 with new machine of FLEET TE-1100 4 knots haribito.would say..the impact sounds way better than bg66um at 26

19. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Matching stiffness with tension works well if your able to handle higher tensions. If you're used to lower tension, my best advice would be to choose a medium/soft feel string at string up to 25lbs, no higher since that's probably already pushing it. For a string recommendation: NG99, BG80P, or ZM65 are all good strings. You said you wanted NG99 in the first post, so you should probably go for that.

20. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Strings & tensions both come down to personal preference. Some may love ZM65 @ 24lbs but others may hate it. Some may prefer BG80P >25lbs but not everyone would be able to play with tensions >25lbs.

My view is that... if you're buying a Z-Force II then the first strings you put on it would not matter AT ALL. Why? Because if you're buying such a high end racket then you should be someone who changes strings fairly regularly anyway. So if you're not happy with the strings, then just choose something else the next time you get it strung.