String Machine or Not ?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by bluejeff, Mar 1, 2004.

1. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Hi, I am having lots of people asking me that either they should get a string machine or not. Here is what I think about getting the string machine(No, I am NOT talking about what kinds of machine, just getting it or not generally)

1. Do you own more than 10 rackets?
    2. Do you play at least 2 times a week?
    3. Does your area has a stringer or badminton shop when you need to string?

If #1 and #2 is true, you should get your own string machine because as of the regular pricing of stringing, which is $10USD, 10 rackets would be 100USD already. Plus if you play very often, you'll probably need to restring your racket at least 2, 3 or even more times in a year, and that'll cover the cost of the string machine in two years. Also, if you are a frequent player, you might want to get your rackets done by yourself so it's more reliable in mind :)

If #3 is no, you don't have anywhere to restring your racket nearby, you should probably consider getting a string machine because mailing orders cost lots of money and time. I say, the cost of 5 mailing orders could potentially worth a string machine. Also, the mailing time back and forth would take 1-2 weeks, which is kind of sad :(.

For example, in US, if you chose to do the mailing orders. It will be $10 shipping to the store, $10 labor for stringing (assume you have your own string), and $10 to ship it back, and that's total of $30 in one order!! So, I think yo'all understand what I am saying here.

Note One:The kinds of machine is not talked in here because it's depending on what you want to do with the machine + the money in your pocket.

Note Two:Getting the string machine is a good idea if and only if you have time to string your own rackets AND you know or willing to learn how to string. :)

Just my thoughts, provided to you guys :)

Jeff

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Your Note#2, should be #4 reason in ur original list. If someone does not have the time and willingness to do it, why bother? ;)

2. Not necessary to be 10 rackets. When I bought my machines, I was more aiming for a long shot. I figured in the next 3-5 yrs I could get my machine worth (US$160). However, as more and more ppl from the clubs coming to me these days, my goal was reached in less than 1 yr.

3. No matter what's the reason, or what kinda machine might be purchased. It takes some time (several demo runs) to get used to the process. It might also result into some failures in the beginning. Therefore, try to use cheap rackets for the demo, and don't start with high tension (I started with 20, I think).

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

see this article

Attached Files:

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Re: Re: String Machine or Not ?

Lazzy:
    I think I reached my goal within a month(6 rackets for me and 6 for my friends) :D:D

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: Re: String Machine or Not ?

Wow, u r fast.

My calculation for based on the formula of $10 saving for my own racket, and $5 profit for others.

Therefore, $170 = $10 * 6 + $5 * 22. I was pretty sure I did not get 30 rackets done in the first 8,9 months period, as gaining reputation was quite hard.

But 12 rackets in 1 month, quite impressive. ;)

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Re: Re: Re: Re: String Machine or Not ?

I first strung a few of my rackets (MP99...etc) and lent it to some of my friends to take some easy singles games, and they seemed to like it a lot. So, one by one, everyone (like more than 10 people) knew I string rackets within a week, and now, at least 20+ people know I am a stringer :)
    (but I am just too lazy to string other people's racket :p)

PS: oh, that reminded me that I still have one string job due tonight.
    Time to work:) (and play :p)

By the way, how fast can you do a string job?
    Assuming using BG-65, 22x23 pattern, 2 strings, and about 20 pounds tension (pretty standard) on a brand new racket.
    I can do it in 40-45 minutes if I am not disturbed, 60 minutes is normal, 90 minutes if I am watching videos, and 3 hours if I take a shower, a steak, doing laundry, and stringing while I am on the phone :p

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Generally takes me about 60-75 minutes these days. The first one I ever did , took 3+ hrs, i think.

8. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Need help Picking A Stringing Machine

Hi guys, my dad will be in Taiwan in a few days, and I was hopinng he can bring a stringing machine back.
    I've decided on a Eagnas Drop weight Stringing machine with 6 point support, but I dont really know much of what I need besides these besides the fact that I dont need a machine that's too "professional"

I'm hoping I can get a machine that can last me quite a while and eventually (when my skills get up there) be able to string rackets @ ~28-30 lbs (thus the 6 point support) And also hoping that there are no stands. As for price range... something less than 500 USD... but I dont need anything fancy, just stuff to get the job done (so basically jus clamps/machine)

Anyone can gimme suggestions for the models? Thanks

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    dude. do you know how heavy a stringing machine is? the tabletop one i had was 60lbs! a floor stander will be at least 80 if not more...

10. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    They're THAT heavy? I'm not talking about a professional one wif stands, I'd rather NOT have the stands... But then again, even if they are... the max airlines allow for a single package is 30KG... which is still more than 60lbs
    btw Kwun, are you implying that it's impossible to bring those things over on airlines or...?

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it depends on the model i guess. the low low end ones has less material are much lighter. but then i see you are giving a budget of US$500 which means a medium level one. they tend to have a lot of metal in them.

i think it is possible to bring one back. afterall, it is not that big in size. it depends on whether it is worth the $$ savings (if any) and how strong your dad's back is... :)

12. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I see your point. I'm pretty sure there will be savings, jus dunno how much... afterall, I would be gettin it directly from the factory. But then again, dont really wanna take a chance n strain my dads back :D
    Thx for the reminder Kwun! ;)

13. kong-19

kong-19 Regular Member

casual worker and stringer
    1) you need not to have 10 rackets. 2 to 4 is enough.

2) firstly, the players should be able to aford for the cost of a m/c.

Mind is closed to U$ 700. However U$ 150 to 200 is o.k

3) they should have the passion and time to do the job. I string my

rackets whenever I feel the tension is not sufficient.

Jchen 99:

To buy an Eagnas M/C. Think, not 3 times. But 30 times. Their after sales

service will drive you crazy. Hope you are the lucky one.

14. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I bought a Flex 740 from Eagnas. It's a 6-point tabletop machine but the shipping weight was about 70 lbs. I've been using it for about a year now and it has worked flawlessly. However I have heard of some horror stories about the Eagnas machines.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    String machine is very heavy, even the small portable ones should be at least 30+ lb in package. The Table top ones should reach 50 lb easily.

Seriously, after all the hassle and shipping cost, I wonder getting a machine in TW is worth the effort or not. Never have to say, warranty or part replacement could be painful experience.

www.badminton.net has Yonex string machine for USD$495. If u can arrange some better shipping method with them (USPS, i guess), u might consider about it.

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey JChen99,

You sure you wanna put poor old dad's back to the test... and ultimately on your conscience? Stringing machine is an investment that can easily become a white elephant. You have to be really serious about stringing if you're gonna get your dad to bring it back to ya. I second the others in saying that it's better to spend the extra cash to avoid burdening your father with such a heavy load.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree.

I will say, save the extra 50 lb, but get 50 packs of string instead. U will be suprised the saving (string cost, and avoid the possible penalty in extra weight!!!) in string could just get u a string machine sometimes!!!

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Surely the number of rackets is not very relevant. For, once a racket has been strung, it won't need restringing unless you actually use it. Someone who has 10 rackets and uses them all will need to restring 10* as many rackets but only 1/10 as often. In other words, he'll need to restring as often as someone who has 1 racket.

Unless the problem is that unused rackets go slack over long periods of time (?)

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    an alternative is to fnd a used one locally. that may be the best choice.

20. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    The important Factors are:

1.Cost of a stringing machine in your area

2.Cost of String in your area

3.Cost of labour in your area

These can be quantified, to work out what is the best value for money, but another factor is not quantifiable, and is generally personal preference:

4.Quality of stringing job

For example in china costing ratio (2.+3.)/(1.) may be low, therfoer less "in Need" of stringing machine. In Uk The same ratio maybe higher. Eg £10 Labour, £5-7 String (£17) and a stringing machine 6point maybe £200 =0.085

In china Maybe £2 string £0.50 Labour (I Pay 35p) and stringing machine £80-£100(not sure on this) so ratio =0.0277 (using £90 for machine)

Therfore in china you are less likely to need a stringing machine (financially) In CHina you may also have better stringers, and more choice, so even less likely to need machine. In UK more likely, as less choice, less chance of finding a quality stringer (you may not like your own stringing however!)

You get my drift.(hopefully)