What truly is a clone racket?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by zhuangcorp, Mar 12, 2014.

1. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

After much browsing the forums and looking at specs on various racket websites, I want to clear up what is truly a "clone racket".

1. Does a clone racket only mimic the looks of the original racket?

2. Does a clone racket try to somewhat imitate the playing characteristics of the original racket?

3. Is APACS even reliable in giving the specs of its own rackets? (they seem to be all pretty much the same specs, sometimes seem to be misprinted even)

I've been looking at the specs for APACS clone rackets, and they all appear to have almost exactly the same specs. They all tend to be medium flex, even balance (285-290), and generally the same weight. It seems to be that all of the clone rackets would actually play pretty much the same, if this is true.

2. observer

observer Regular Member

From my own opinion,
    1. Yes
    2. I used to believe before I try Apacs, but after experience, it tells everything is Not same at all compared to real Yonex.
    3. For brand like Apacs is better to get their own range/Model Example: Lethal, Virtuoso, Lurid Power and so on.... they would have better accuracy on their specs printed.

3. gy79bc

gy79bc Regular Member

programmer
    From my own experience:

Clones are generally not up to the standards (again which standard ?) especially the materials and Homogeneity of the materials used. They may have the same balance point. But shaft's stiffness and Young's module varies way too much.

The good thing about Yonex is you can expect a racket to what they claimed in balance point, material and stiffness of shaft, and
    vibration filtering.

The best way to choose a racket which is suit your style is by
    trying the racket in playing.

The stiffness of shaft can vary too much based on vendor
    e.g. Victor and Head's rackets shaft can be very stiff even if they say stiff similar to Yonex's shaft's stiffness.

Some of APACS racket's shaft gives you cracking feeling even though nothing is wrong.