User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should BWF give a wildcard to Lin Dan for the 2014 World Championships

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: it will generate more media interest

93 76.86%
  • No: once is enough

28 23.14%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In professional sports, elitism,opportunism and fairness are secondary to what the organizer and sponsors want. As long as the player is a crowd-puller, can generate lots of media interests and publicity, increase viewership dramatically (advertisers' paradise) and thereby contribute significantly to promoting the sport, that's all that matters to them ultimately.

But for me it is essential that the world championships are contested by all the very best players as befitting the title. As such for the reigning champion not to be defending his title and be challenged is to compromise and diminish the world title.

This time round, I'm rooting for Chen Long to take the crown and that by toppling both Lin Dan and Lee CW. It's not good enough for me if he wins it by beating Lee CW alone. I won't wish Chen Long to win it and at the back of many people's minds is the thought 'That's because Lin Dan didn't play'; not a few will even voice it out loud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    In professional sports, elitism,opportunism and fairness are secondary to what the organizer and sponsors want. As long as the player is a crowd-puller, can generate lots of media interests and publicity, increase viewership dramatically (advertisers' paradise) and thereby contribute significantly to promoting the sport, that's all that matters to them ultimately.

But for me it is essential that the world championships are contested by all the very best players as befitting the title. As such for the reigning champion not to be defending his title and be challenged is to compromise and diminish the world title.

This time round, I'm rooting for Chen Long to take the crown and that by toppling both Lin Dan and Lee CW. It's not good enough for me if he wins it by beating Lee CW alone. I won't wish Chen Long to win it and at the back of many people's minds is the thought 'That's because Lin Dan didn't play'; not a few will even voice it out loud.
    Im rooting for LCW to take down both lin dan and CL. =x

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You see, all the more reason Lin Dan should be granted the wild card as, otherwise , how is Chen Long or Lee CW going to taste the sweet victory of beating him ?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qidong View Post
    If he didn't win last year, then no. Otherwise, yes. Ask how many people want to see LD instead of some guys ranked 50 got crushed 5-21, 5-21 in the first round. How many tournaments other than badminton that a guy is not allowed to defend his/her title?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    Simplistic argument. Those guys 'ranked 50' are the future of the sport and depend on experience to go up the rankings. And what if LD did lose early on last year? Would you then tell him this year "Sorry, go away, you lost too early"?
    ranked 50?
    if the wild card been granted and accepted by Lin Dan the player he replaced is Italy's No.2 ranked at 126, ironically ranked well below LD.

refer to post #4
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...91#post2210791

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    You see, all the more reason Lin Dan should be granted the wild card as, otherwise , how is Chen Long or Lee CW going to taste the sweet victory of beating him ?
    YEs agree. I guess wild card will b given , but lin dan may not join. Hoping for lin dan to join !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All other players working hard to battle it out to enter for competitions to gain points but someone go thru back door to enter for the tournament ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    Simplistic argument. Those guys 'ranked 50' are the future of the sport and depend on experience to go up the rankings. And what if LD did lose early on last year? Would you then tell him this year "Sorry, go away, you lost too early"?
    The guy he beat last year was Sattawat Pongnairat who was ranked in the 50's. I doubt if he has any future.

Sure if LD lost early last year, he should not be given a wild card this year. But he was the champion, the champ should be able to defend his title.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya , i agree lin dan will be at world championshio again this year.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    ranked 50?
    if the wild card been granted and accepted by Lin Dan the player he replaced is Italy's No.2 ranked at 126, ironically ranked well below LD.

refer to post #4
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...91#post2210791
    This is a compelling factor and certainly makes me reconsider my original position. There is no certainty that the person who loses out is an up and coming player. It could equally be another player on the decline. Would that add spice and publicity to the world championships?

If Lin Dan had been playing with clear evidence of decline, giving him a wild card would be hard. Him not playing for another year , and being the defending champion, makes it an unknown factor.

I haven't voted yet but now I will....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think BWF should specify the conditions for granting LD wild card. For example, winning a SSP title or two SS titles before end of June.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    I think BWF should specify the conditions for granting LD wild card. For example, winning a SSP title or two SS titles before end of June.
    They won't. The point of a wild card is BWF can apply it flexibly. I guess the only provisor is that the player has to be registered with BWF.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Lindan knows the rule of selection, definitely he could have attended more superseries tournaments to qualify for the championships. But instead he opted for rest and went out of the circuit. Still time is there. He has to think whether to participate in the championships or not??. If he wants, follow necessary procedures to qualify instead of asking wild card even if you have time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    They won't. The point of a wild card is BWF can apply it flexibly. I guess the only provisor is that the player has to be registered with BWF.
    Damn, that rules me out!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After thinking about this some more, I believe that the World Champs should have complete flexibility so that it's solely as a forum to assemble the best players alive that year. There's probably some sort of mechanism and rules for the wild cards, so I assume LD has to meet certain criteria - it's not like any of us can just rock up and enter - so I'm making the grand assumptions that those same rules apply to everyone.....whatever they are.

So I'm a 'yes' for LD at the World Champs.

Any other tournament? No.

i don't want a badminton that actively encourages elitism and inequity, nor do I want one that says that if you attain a certain level then you don't have to bother participating. Either play or don't.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can BWF grant Lin Dan the wild card for the Olympics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they don't award Lin Dan a Wild Card this year, then they should get rid of the wild card concept completely, because when should you otherwise apply it?

- For the current champion to defend his title? (Lin Dan, Check!)
    - Based on sporting principles, to a player that has the ability/strength to actually reach the finals and win? (Lin Dan, Check!)
    - Based on commercial principles? Who draw spectators, sells tickets, and raise world wide alertness/awareness of the sport? (Lin Dan, Check!)

Only argument for giving a wild card to someone else, is that the wild card should go to a local player from the host country. But in this case, Denmark doesn't have more than 3 male single players who belong in the tournament, and they're all 3 qualified through current world ranking!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    Damn, that rules me out!
    Register soon! A wild card hasn't been awarded yet.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast