User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should BWF give a wildcard to Lin Dan for the 2014 World Championships

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: it will generate more media interest

93 76.86%
  • No: once is enough

28 23.14%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just heard that BWF is not using their wild cards opportunities, so no wild card for Lin Dan. Apparently BWF has informed their members yesterday.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

see the last page of Regulations for Eligibility and Processing of Entries for World Championships (Annex I).http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=524479&dl=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    see the last page of Regulations for Eligibility and Processing of Entries for World Championships (Annex I).http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=524479&dl=1
    Just had the same information : no Wild Card for Lin Dan at the WC2014 ! If I'm correct, that's means that Lin Dan will not participate to the WC2014, since the Eligible players list has not beeen selected by the elegible players list ?Can someone confirm ?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the date for bwf to publish the wild cards, if any, is 8th May.
    on the same date, member associations required to confirm their players from BWF's list published last Friday (25th April).

if wild card not granted for LD by 8th May, China has options either to submit their top 3 players (without LD), or 2 players with Chen Long and Lin Dan.

If China decided to field their top 3 without LD on 8th May, they still has until 22nd May to submit LD to replace their 2nd and 3rd MS.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is an added bonus for China just to field CL and LD only as it will ensure that they will be draw in different halves and LCW needs to beat both to have a chance for the title.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm shocked that BWF is not giving wild card.

Let me ask a simple question: Why does wild card even exist?

Who is more qualified to receive a wild card than 2 time Olympic champion, former world #1, 5 time world champion, and DEFENDING world champion?

If there's ever a player to use wild card on, it should be Lin Dan. If Lin Dan does not deserve a wild card, no player should ever receive a wild card. Just remove the wild card system then.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still hopeful that Lin Dan will get the wild card. But my main argument and wishful thinking is for BWF to amend the rule and allow the defending champion automatic qualification based on its own merits without the need to use wild card and not based on ranking at all. In that case, the wild card would be still open to others if necessary and the rest of the WC rules and regulations still apply.However, should BWF in the end decided not to award the wild card to Lin Dan, then I would go along with what AlanY pointed out and I'd suggest that CBA send only Lin Dan and Chen Long such that they would be in different halves of the draw thus requiring LCW to meet both of them for the title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zhuangcorp View Post
    I'm shocked that BWF is not giving wild card. Let me ask a simple question: Why does wild card even exist? Who is more qualified to receive a wild card than 2 time Olympic champion, former world #1, 5 time world champion, and DEFENDING world champion? If there's ever a player to use wild card on, it should be Lin Dan. If Lin Dan does not deserve a wild card, no player should ever receive a wild card. Just remove the wild card system then.
    In a way I understand what you're saying because it's true, obviously. But you can't forget the past. If Lin Dan got a Wild Card twice, it would have been quiet a shock for those who battled hard during months too barely qualify. What would we say if next year LCW, CL and JOJ decided to leave 6 months like LD did twice ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lk2009 View Post
    In a way I understand what you're saying because it's true, obviously. But you can't forget the past. If Lin Dan got a Wild Card twice, it would have been quiet a shock for those who battled hard during months too barely qualify. What would we say if next year LCW, CL and JOJ decided to leave 6 months like LD did twice ?
    Whether LD gets a wild card has nothing to do with LCW, CL, and JOJ. It's not a stretch to call LD the best MS player of all time. LCW, CL, and JOJ cannot compare their accomplishments with his

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Woffle View Post
    Whether LD gets a wild card has nothing to do with LCW, CL, and JOJ. It's not a stretch to call LD the best MS player of all time. LCW, CL, and JOJ cannot compare their accomplishments with his
    So we should have 2 standard then? One for LD and one for everyone else who has to work hard to qualify?

Which other competitive sport in the world has a wild card system whereby the past winner is granted a free pass? And twice in a row to boot, if he is given one again this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is not what I was saying. There can be many potential reasons to give a wild card, and for any given justification you might agree or disagree with it, but I think that the reasons behind giving LD a potential wild card will be different with those for anyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is to say, there is no double standard at play.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why don't we change the rule so that all the five times champions get an invitation to defend his/her/their titles!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure whether you are all deliberately mis-interpreting me. I am only claiming that whatever rationale for giving LD a wild card will be unique to LD's situation. Whether you think he should get a wild card is up to you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If BWF want to uphold the real meaning of the qualifier *World* as in the "World Championships" meaning all the highest quality shuttlers must participate... in order to keep the quality of the competition to the highest level... not just another major tournament

whereas no badminton communities incl. its governing body are able to deny the very fact that the defending champion with such long list of the paramount title winner is [at least] still one of the best shuttler irregardless of his long inactivity and his current WR after his comeback...

and then there's so-called wildcard... and we may simply ask, what's the main purpose of its existence and function? :-)

Nonetheless, if the Super Dan is excluded from the 2014 World Championships then sorry to say, whoever wins the MS title must accept the tainted reality, he's a World Champion upon the absence of the Super Dan! :-D

btw just to refresh, who will be kicked out if the wildcard is eventually granted to the Super Dan?

The hard working player seems to be the Italy's No.2 ranked at 126 [see AlanY's earlier post #21]... it may be deemed as unfortunate for him yet i do believe the badminton world won't even blink to miss him in exchange for the inclusion of the defending champion... just saying :-)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be cool if all past champions that don't qualify were invited each year, they play a qualifiers between them and the winner gets a place in the main draw. Probably get way bigger ticket sales and media than the first few rounds as well.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kelana View Post
    btw just to refresh, who will be kicked out if the wildcard is eventually granted to the Super Dan?

The hard working player seems to be the Italy's No.2 ranked at 126 [see AlanY's earlier post #21]... it may be deemed as unfortunate for him yet i do believe the badminton world won't even blink to miss him in exchange for the inclusion of the defending champion... just saying :-)
    nobody will get kick out it just means that the wild card will be effectively granted to the next in the reserve list.

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=547712&dl=1

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast