User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should BWF give a wildcard to Lin Dan for the 2014 World Championships

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: it will generate more media interest

94 77.05%
  • No: once is enough

28 22.95%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Would be cool if all past champions that don't qualify were invited each year, they play a qualifiers between them and the winner gets a place in the main draw. Probably get way bigger ticket sales and media than the first few rounds as well.
    I would only grant an automatic pass to the defending champion with a condition that the defending champion must rank in the top 64 as at the qualification date. LD would still not meet that criteria. So a wild card is still needed.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant as more of a promo thing, good way to start the tournament with past stars. Plus would allow past champions to have a shot, could be a good tradition. Would be a lot more exciting than say, Austria's number 2 getting the last spot.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I'm sure about Lin Dan will play WBC 2014

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    nobody will get kick out it just means that the wild card will be effectively granted to the next in the reserve list.http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=547712&dl=1
    Now he has ranking point 26,000 pt.(WR58) he will need at least 20,000 point from TC ,INA open ,AUS open and japan open enter to top 15 before July for 1st reserve list and I think WC this year has player who WDN after eligiable.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Penwinack View Post
    Now he has ranking point 26,000 pt.(WR58) he will need at least 20,000 point from TC ,INA open ,AUS open and japan open enter to top 15 before July for 1st reserve list and I think WC this year has player who WDN after eligiable.
    the reserve lists are based on the ranking lists of 24th April, any points accumulated thereafter don't count.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BWF should clarify what exactly the wild card is for. If the defending champion with 5 WC and 2 OG titles, who also showed in two come back tournaments that his performance level is comfortably in the top 30 in the world, is not worthy of a wild card, then they should just scrap that wild card from the book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring it on.............

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"BWF should clarify what exactly the wild card is for. If the defending champion with 5 WC and 2 OG titles, who also showed in two come back tournaments that his performance level is comfortably in the top 30 in the world, is not worthy of a wild card, then they should just scrap that wild card from the book."
    That's why BWF already decided to scrap the wild card thing this year!

No issuance = Abandoning it [transitory]

The other years will be the other matter. The current bosses at the helm are just playing it out flexibly, to use or not to use at their own discretion...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    The analysis missed the fact that as the number one alternate, Tian HouWei is highly likely to pick up the fourth spot for China, as Rumbaka did for Indonesia last year. CBA's picking LD would also exclude THW from further consideration. So LD would effectively replace not two, but three Chinese entries. It is a stiff price to pay.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let LCW maintain his fair good chance this time; China should not put the LD obstacle factor there. In no way should China sacrifices the other two players for LD inclusion. LD does not need the WC in such a way, he has been there many times, it's just his presence there will give the round impression of the high quality of the participants...for an annual tournament so-called "World Championships" ... but the bosses already put their cards on the table, so let it play out as such accordingly!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it just me or does anyone else think Lin Dan knew months ago that there will be no wild card new year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    is it just me or does anyone else think Lin Dan knew months ago that there will be no wild card new year?
    Could be IMO. I even think that LYB thought long before us about the way he could (or not) make Lin Dan plays at the WC. Let's guess : Can Du Pengyu, Wang Zhengming or Tian Houwei possibly be world champions ? The best option for those players'd be a bronze medal. And LYB doesn't even care about bronze I think Today, only two chinese players can imagine beating LCW on a major event. Only two players can assure to LYB they'll be at their very best level at Copenhagen. And those players are Chen Long and Lin Dan, no doubt about that. For me it's clear : Chen Long and Lin Dan must play in WC2014.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even Chen long at the 2 major major events - world and Olympic championships has never been convincing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asian Games is the top priority for Lin Dan this year, not World Championship. For LCW, however, he has to play Thomas Cup in May, three super series in June, Commonwealth Games in July, WC in August, Asian Games in September, just to name a few.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, LD will not appear in WC 2014. He had 5 WC titles already. He has nothing to prove there. LYB also doesn't have much incentive to put LD at the expense of the younger patients. BWF didn't want to give wild card to LD to help to promote the tournament. I don't think LYB would even care about this as the tournament is not held in China.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A World Championship isn't really a World Championship if the best players in the World aren't competing. To me it would make the title a bit meaningless if LD can't compete (but maybe he doesn't want to?).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast