Lead tape is Poisonous?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by talakuchi, Mar 14, 2014.

1. talakuchi

talakuchi Regular Member

Hi all. I am not sure if this should be posted under this Injuries forum, but since it's something to do with health, so I think I better ask before poisoning myself...

After reading the following webpage:
    http://sports.stackexchange.com/questions/3078/turning-head-light-badminton-rackets-into-head-heavy

I am tempted to modify my headlight racket (Yonex NS5500) to a head-heavy racket. Because I think I need some mass at head area to generate more momentum for my swing.

But the article mentioned that I need to put on gloves when pasting the lead tape onto the racket. This makes me worry. Does it mean that it will poison me upon contact onto skin? And does it means that after pasting the lead tape, I should use some other tape to paste over the layer of lead tape to prevent touching it and get poisoned?

Please advice me.

Thank you everyone ^_^

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The biggest risk would be if you started licking your racket.:eek:

It is ingestion of the lead that is problematic, not so much it absorbing through your skin. But the precautions you mentioned are not unreasonable.

(In today's crowded cities, there is so much toxic stuff floating about and in our food that it's hard to worry about a little lead tape on a racket.)

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    As Fidget said...:)

If you really are that worried about lead tape, use an alternative.

Get some insulating tape (the tape that electricians use), and cut into small strips. You don't need that much to change the characteristics of the racquet balance. Too big a deal is made out of lead strips.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

As Cheung said... :)

Electrician tape, athlete's tape (which is what LD uses) work just fine for tuning badminton rackets.

Lead tape is made for adjusting tennis rackets.

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

just don't eat it and you're be fine. there are many things which contains lead and if you want poisoning you'll need a high dose. fine china has lots of lead, and pencils. unless you deal with production of lead products, i think you're safe!

6. visor

visor Regular Member

BTW there is no lead in pencil, only graphite. ;)