Asymmetric frames?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by emjay, Mar 17, 2014.

1. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    OK so I strung my Carlton Kinesis at the weekend and noticed (after I'd finished, naturally) that the frame is not symmetrical so it makes a difference which side you start the crosses on. The first time I strung it I didn't notice but luckily did it correctly. This time I wasn't as lucky, so instead of the strings sitting nicely in the micro-grommet grooves, they go between the grooves at certain points.

Is it only Carlton that produce frames in this way? I know the Razor series have something similar. Just wondering if there are any others I should watch out for in future!

In this case I'm going to leave it as it is for now, I don't string at high tension (23lb) so it shouldn't cause damage to the frame. It is annoying but because I used decent string I don't want to redo it! So annoying when I have some cheap Pro's Pro B-400 string that I've been using for practise, I would cut that in seconds :)

2. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    2012 Wilson BLX models have this 'problem' due to the pod grommet system:

IMG-20140302-WA0001.jpg

3. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    The Gosen Roots Aermet 6900 (Boonsak Ponsana model) has this similar issue when i strung it.
    I noticed it because it had Muscle Power style U shaped grommets on the middle section of crosses.

4. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    You have to previously determine the side you ll start the crosses, then you have no problem. At low tensions no harm will come whatever the side you start. At high tensions there is a risk to decrease badly the string durability and can make skratches to the frame.
    I ve seen this type of racket at some models of carlton and wilson.
    Carlton Razor is also asymetric but without grommets at center. They use an annoying groove system instead.