It's 2014: when will rec players learn they need to stop "coaching" others

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by thumpsky, Mar 20, 2014.

1. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    There's a guy I see at the rec center who is middle aged, slow, and never shuts up during the game. He will comment not just on every rally but every shot as well.

For most people, they have that "one and done" encounter with him and move on. Why is there always one of these ppl at your local gym who act oblivious to how many ppl they piss off?

2. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

I don't think "coaching" is wrong per se. But it shouldn't be overdone. Most players would appreciate a bit of feedback every now and again so they can improve. But yes, I know that some players just cannot shut up and in fact blame their partners for every point lost.

3. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Hah, I get this too sometimes. I sometimes play with a guy who blames me for not moving, when it's his to take vs. me moving across the court.

4. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    You have a choice not partnering with anyone you are not comfortable with, it is not worth having a shouting match on court. Game over, shake hands and walk away.

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I'd just do a backhand drive right to the back of his head. Else, grab the old BK Beast and go after every shot he goes for - either his racquet or his head will get the message.

But with any center, you will encounter all kinds of people. The majority - thank goodness - are fairly polite and don't go on coaching rants on their partners. The odd few - are usually - Odd.

6. catman

catman Regular Member

Since majority of the people think they are experts - they would like to share their vast knowledge with other less skilled players. When I was starting out, I used to do this - until I realized most of what I was doing was wrong. Now, I do like Sgt. Schultz from Hogan's Heroes (Check it out kids) - I say "Nothing"!

7. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    Met an uncle in one of the venue back in my uni days. He has the most elaborative definition of all kind of shots we play (or we don't). Then, when the time he got into court. He couldn't properly clear a birdie to the opponent side from his base line. :eek:

8. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    most often than not, these people enjoy hearing themselves talk, it's not personal, and possibly nothing wrong with the way his partner plays, it's just that he is in love with his own voice!!!

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the beauty about this world is that there are such a diverse spectrum of personalities.

sometimes we have the angry type, the expressive type, the funny type, the talkative type, the social type, the quiet type.

people also changes over time, usually we get more mellow as we grow older and (hopefully) wiser.

10. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Unfortunately, there are a few too many people refuse to age wisely.

11. Nyquist

Nyquist Regular Member

I have my own version in my community club too... guess there is such type that is well represented everywhere in each country. Same traits, rant non stop from serving to smashing. Sometimes it's entertaining simply because it reminds me of someone his age who grows up without a mirror. Once i tried to shut him up through a 21-5 singles but only my birdie seems to get through (the net) not my message.
    Now i simply avoid/stop pairing up with him... i may play less but at least the evening is a pleasant one to reminisce.

12. *___*

*___* Regular Member

It's 2014, when will Thumpsky stop creating so many threads in the general forum

Agree with this.

13. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I love coaching people :X

14. Dogbert

Dogbert Regular Member

I know a guy at the club I play with who lectures his partner after every point they lose. It's very annoying since the guy who is doing the lecturing was the cause of more than half of the lost points. Anyhow, the annoyed partner go so fed up with his partner lectures that he "accidentally" drop really high while his partner was up front and his partner got hit in the face on a hard smash. He took a few weeks off to heal but to everyone's disappointment, he came back and resumed his lectures. Apparently he hasn't learned his lesson.