User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 27
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Liskeard,Ontario
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Throwing rackets and swearing

    Hi badminton ladies and gentlemen , I'm posting this because its been a week later and it still bothers and makes me upset . Well not upsetting to crying or anything , just to bad I had to experience such bad sportsmanship ..
    I dropped into this well established club since the mid 30's a couple of weeks ago. During the end of the evening their were these two men in their mid 40's playing singles. They started swearing at their own bad playing or shots. At first it wasn't to loud or often , but later they got so loud and then started throwing their rackets.. Now these guys were pretty good players, probably A or provincial level. Like these tantrums are going to improve your game,NOT..
    Players couple courts down couldn't stand it or concentrate they were saying when they got off the court..
    Ive been playing badminton for around twenty eight years or so and dropped in clubs all over Canada , couple clubs in the US San Diego and Paris France a couple times , and never ever seen such ignorant childish behaviour .. Like I've seen players yelling when their smashing as I do, but never swearing out loud. I'll swear under my breath once in awhile but never out loud disturbing other players.. I was taught it was a gentleman's game back in the late eighties . LoL
    i wanted to see if anybody else has seen this kind of bad behaviour or sportsmanship ?
    Thanks for reading and play hard..
    Wayne

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,260
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by algonquinsmash View Post
    Hi badminton ladies and gentlemen , I'm posting this because its been a week later and it still bothers and makes me upset . Well not upsetting to crying or anything , just to bad I had to experience such bad sportsmanship ..
    I dropped into this well established club since the mid 30's a couple of weeks ago. During the end of the evening their were these two men in their mid 40's playing singles. They started swearing at their own bad playing or shots. At first it wasn't to loud or often , but later they got so loud and then started throwing their rackets.. Now these guys were pretty good players, probably A or provincial level. Like these tantrums are going to improve your game,NOT..
    Players couple courts down couldn't stand it or concentrate they were saying when they got off the court..
    Ive been playing badminton for around twenty eight years or so and dropped in clubs all over Canada , couple clubs in the US San Diego and Paris France a couple times , and never ever seen such ignorant childish behaviour .. Like I've seen players yelling when their smashing as I do, but never swearing out loud. I'll swear under my breath once in awhile but never out loud disturbing other players.. I was taught it was a gentleman's game back in the late eighties . LoL
    i wanted to see if anybody else has seen this kind of bad behaviour or sportsmanship ?
    Thanks for reading and play hard..
    Wayne
    Wow grown men swearing and throwing their racquets?.:. Never heard of it .. Thank you for sharing with us!

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,505
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is Canada? Canadians are known for their politeness. The guys even say "Hi" when passing strangers in toilets (unless there are other reasons for that - whoops!)

    Generally don't see racquet throwing or swearing. I have seen swearing amongst high school kids - a word via the teacher seems to have had a calming effect.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,038
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Every country, every sport, every age-group and every talent-level has its fair share of jerks.

    (C'est la vie. Soyez prÍt; ils sont partout.)

  5. #5
    Regular Member observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    undersea
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just met one fella in my group did that 2 days ago.
    As Long they don't do any harm to anyone, just IGNORE them.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,941
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The question one should ask is "do I want to be like Mathias Boe?"

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,505
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Mark,

    How often do you see such behaviour at county level or above matches and tournaments?

    I noticed the thread starter didnt have the UK on the list of places he has visited.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    aberdeen
    Posts
    762
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How many times you had seen them doing it?

  9. #9
    Regular Member dbswansea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    1,289
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I swear at myself all the time but I'm not throwing my Thruster

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,176
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbswansea View Post
    I swear at myself all the time but I'm not throwing my Thruster
    This. I've chucked a racket up in the air before - got stuck in sports curtain

  11. #11
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,941
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Mark,

    How often do you see such behaviour at county level or above matches and tournaments?

    I noticed the thread starter didnt have the UK on the list of places he has visited.
    In our neck of the woods, it's pretty civilized - you can give somebody an utter tonking and the worst you'll see is them swearing under their breath.

    Some teams - the "privileged" ones - are decidedly childish, though.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    bad behavior, yes
    but bad sportsmanship, I think we need to see the situation.

    As long they don't do it to distract and intimidate the opponents, I think it's fine. It's just the "throw your frustation" thing.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Rugby
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Mixed feelings on this one. I am prone to it on my bad days, especially if i do something stupid, usually along the lines of trying to end a point quickly and commit a stupid unforced error by going for a low percentage winner. I've tried to eradicate this behavior, and largely succeeded to the point where its an extreme rarity to swear loudly. I think this is due to having found a club which has a fairly gentlemanly ethos, but also is not judgemental.

    When i was at a former club, and got a bad rep, even when i was trying to rein it in, people would go out of their way to try and wind me up by all kinds of gamesmanship, and the fact i had a bad rep made me fair game: if i got in a dispute in a competitive game i would be seen to be in the wrong regardless of the situation.

    My current club is really good. The guys are very good players and almost no egos which is a complete rarity. I feel a lot freer to just enjoy playing, and to give back a little in helping the younger guys.

    There are all kinds of poisonous behaviour found at a club, i think someone who gets annoyed with themself is at the low end of the bad behaviour bracket. As far as gamesmanship goes, getting angry at oneself is usually a self destructive behaviour. It was in my case. Nowadays i just try and laugh at myself if i am playing like a retard, let's be honest, its gonna happen from time to time.

    As an aside, behaviour codes are something of an externally imposed thing. Cricket is a gentleman's game, but sledging is (a quite hilarious) part of the game, there's almost an expectation to be as inventively foul-mouthed as possible. If you consistently sledged your opponents on a badminton court, and called them every name under the sun, you'd get kicked out of any club. I think with cricket it's 'banter with an edge' and a distraction technique. With badminton, the gamesmanship stuff tends to be a lot more subtle.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Liskeard,Ontario
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Where is your club, I'd be glade to drop-In..

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Was this at the RA? If the game is really serious or competitive, i usually swear to myself but not extremely loud lol I always talk to myself on court though

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    759
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbswansea View Post
    I swear at myself all the time but I'm not throwing my Thruster
    Me too. I swear at myself all the time. Most it's frustration at myself when I make the same mistake multiple times.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smashikon, Driveland
    Posts
    819
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It is def bad behavior.

    But not too uncommon. You see it on all levels of play. From beginner to pro. From hobby-players to first league players.

    I usually swear or shout out loud (i.e. the whole hall will hear it!) once or twice in a match when I play really bad. This includes really impolite language.
    But it is always clearly directed to myself! I would never shout at my opponent.

    For me it helps to let out the emotions. I would def play worse if I tried to stay calm. It's like "let it all out, then focus again".

    Is it bad sportmansship? No.
    Is it good behavior? No!
    Do I care? No.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •