What contributes to elbow pain more, racket or strings....

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by garra, Mar 24, 2014.

1. garra

garra Regular Member

HI,
    I'm about to order some strings and cannot make up my mind regarding elbow pain I have sometimes after playing.
    I play for 10 years (but with long pauses) , so I got sound technique, and use a lot slices and reverse slices from back of court (main weapon), and I can block quite good, also smash etc. I play 2-3 times a week.
    My setups are:
    1) Carlton Fireblade ISO elite 85g (extra stiff, head heavy) with BG80p, strung at 23 LBS, racket can hold max 28 lbs
    - Yeah after sessions with this baby I notice slight pain in my elbow, it lasts few days.
    - I know this is hard racket, with hard strng so no suprises there
    - but I really like that hard feeling, regarding slices and blocks, I dont have to play extra shot since I can nail shuttle where I want

2) New Carlton Vapour trail tour 85g (medium stiff/stiff, medium/heavy head) currently with Zymax 67 , at 25 LBS , racket can hold max 28 lbs
    - no pain there
    - during playing I noticed lot of tramboline efect with blocks etc. which means oponent can catch the shuttle and I dont like this.

I would rather suffer after sessions with slight pain than give loose shuttles but I dont want to end up with permanent elbow problems and quit playing for a while.
    I will order either BG 80 p, or Zymax 65. And I would like to play with racket 2).

So my questions are, theoreticaly:
    If I have those 2 rackets and:
    a) Racket 1) strung with more softer ZYMAX 65 , at let say 25 LBS
    b) Racket 2) strung with harder BG80p also at 25 LBS
    From which setup I will likely to have more elbow pain? What contributes more to elbow pain, stiff racket or stiff string?

If I want that stiffer racket feeling, that exact placement with blocks and slices , is there a way to produce with 2) racket? Will bringing tension to let say 27 LBs help?
    If I change my strings on 2) racket to more hard string like BG80p, will I have better control?
    Or I should put ZYMAX on my 1) racket and strung it higher. Will I still have elbow pains since now I have softer string?

I would really like to make my newer 2) racket behave like 1) racket but that it does not give me elbow pains like 1) racket does.

Thank you!!!

2. MikeYeap

MikeYeap Regular Member

Engineer
    elbow pain are usually caused by wrong technique. Correct your technique and strengthen you wrist and arm muscles more. And elbow pain will slowly decreases.

3. garra

garra Regular Member

Regarding wrong technique, I dont have problem with slightly less stiffer racket. And my questions are quite precise. I'm just interested regarding strings / frame combination.

regards

4. garra

garra Regular Member

And, let say I cannot enhance my technique any more, I hit my limit and I assure you i have clear technique regarding clears etc. elbow leading, pronation suppination.

5. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I'd say its more to do with racquet then string. That fireblade is too stiff and your technique is faultering as you try for more power would be my guess. Based on my experience.

Also are those rackets the same length? Fireblades tend to be 660/665mm and I've had elbow issues from using short racquets.

I would say, use racquet 2 with either:
    The string setup you like from 1,
    Zm65 at the same tension as you had 67,
    67 at 1 or 2lb tighter.

Good luck!

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    your elbow should be slightly bent (ie, not 100% straight) when you hit the shuttle.

7. garra

garra Regular Member

Hi,
    Ok, maybe my technique is not 100% perfect and I do 100% straight elbow thing sometimes and put extra pressure there. But like I said, it's hard to change technique especialy when I'm not training. Put when I look arround and see other people I know they want to have technique like me so I'm not doing everything wrong.
    You are right, stiffer is 670, less stiff is 675 mm.
    Will try what you suggested. Tnx all. Any more comments?

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Correct technique has the following results:

(1) effectiveness (ie, a good result)
    (2) efficiency (ie, use less energy)
    (3) less chance of injury

9. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Are the grips the same size on both racquets?

10. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    what might contributes to elbow pain:
    too stiff racket and too tight string (it might have to do with grip size too, but I'm not sure)

if you have very stiff racket (and you play doubles) go and apply gripping technique for doubles (hold your racket at the top of the handle near the cone and shaft) also, you can "compensate" it by going for lower tension such as 22-23.

thinner string (such as zymax 65) will be tighter compared to thicker ones (zymax 67) so definitely go lower
    and yeah, it is also has to do with bad technique..
    another option can be: buying a less stiff racket?

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Bending your elbow slightly by 10 to 15 degree is not very hard, is it?

12. MikeYeap

MikeYeap Regular Member

Engineer
    Techniques... correct the techniques and most of the pain shall be reduced. Playing with less stiffer rackets might requires lesser strength comparing using stiff rackets. When trying to use more power, we tend to execute wrong techniques.

Stiff rackets and high tension strings do contribute. As mentioned above, higher tension strings/stiff racket = more energy use = wrong execution of technique. Try to make sure each stroke is correct before proceed into aggressive games.

I used to have this problems but after correcting my strokes it all becomes good now. Just sharing my experience although I'm not a high level player...

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Changing equipment may help a bit. But, in the long run, correct technique is the only solution.

14. garra

garra Regular Member

Hi,
    Thank you for all the answers. Like I said I have 2 rackets, so no problem in this department just need to play with this a little. Grips are same thickeness. Changing technique, I will try, hope that muscle memory will play along and that I will soon adapt. But its hard to think about right technique during fast stroke like smash. Yeah, I need to go one step back to go 2 steps forward... thank you