Alternative to BG-80/BG-85

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Cricket, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Cricket

Cricket Regular Member

Does anybody know of a less expensive alternative to Yonex's BG-80 or BG-85? I'm leaning towards Gosen's Bioroots (or something like that) but I'd like to know what else is out there.

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    well, this is a hard question, and I would say no, I don't think anything comes close to those two strings.

The best answer I can give you are:
    BG68TI: Feels are different than BG80 and 85, but it's somewhat close.
    BG88TI: Too expensive

3. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Gosen's BioGut BioRoots is most definitely an excellent choice. The resilience of this string is very high, and yet the string is soft and supple, providing good feedback upon impact (this is especially useful in drop and net shots). Just be aware that the string stretches quite a bit when it is strung, so you might want to ask for an extra pound on the strung tension.

Another thing to note is that there are two variations of the BioGut BioRoots strings. BioRoots 70 (BS-808) is 21GA/0.70mm thick, while BioRoots 68 (BS-807) is 22GA/0.68mm thick. Essentially, between the two strings, you're trading a bit of durability for a bit of extra bounce/power from the strings.

-Rick

p.s. I must admit that I have never used BG-85 before, but I have used BG-80 for about a year, and I certainly think that the Gosen BioRoots are at least on par with BG-80 in terms of performance, and yet it is not nearly as expensive as the Yonex string. This might be something you want to keep in mind.

#3 Traum, Mar 4, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2004
  4. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    I think most places will sell Gosen Bio Roots for more than BG-80 or BG-85. And I find that the Bio Roots does not stretch as much since it is supposed to be pre-stretched.

5. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    the question is what is bioroots made of?

BG85 (and I believe BG80) have a Vectran core so if bioroots isnt made of Vectran I would imagine that while it may be good (or as good or better) the feel will be different, nevertheless.

6. Traum

Traum Regular Member

From what I know, the BioRoots strings are made from corn-derived biodegradable plastics. While this may or may not lead to a different feel, the change is not necessarily for the worse. I personally like the softer feel of the BioRoots strings more than the BG-80, and you just might feel the same way as well.

-Rick

7. Cricket

Cricket Regular Member

So, for the Gosen Biogut Bioroots, for some reason Gosen's website rates the Bioroots 70 highest over all, with better durability AND performance than Bioroots 68. Is it true, or is the Gosen website not right???

8. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    I would definitely try the Gosens if I got the chance, but that is almost impossible for us here in the Philippines as its mostly Yonex being sold. I do see some Babolat in one chain, though.

What do you guys think of Ashaway? I heard once that Ashaway was the OEM manufacturer for Yonex. Is it true?

9. Cricket

Cricket Regular Member

Ashaways.....I had a bad experience with them when I first bought my first racquet, a MP55. Really bad, I bet some generic string would've been better. When I made the jump from Ashaway I think it was Rally 21 or something to BG-66, it was like going from a car with two axles and four wheels to a Ferrari. Plus, not many dealers sell Ashaways, and I can get the Gosens at a fairly good price.

10. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    bluejeff, are you sure that the 68Ti comes close to 80/85? cuz I've tried the 68Ti before... found that it didn't keep tension too well so I stuck to 70Pro/80. 85 has great repulsion, but dont last more than 4-5 hrs of hard hitting 80 dies rather quickly too, probably a month at most.

Wut do you think about 75Ti (If you've ever tried it before)

11. Cricket

Cricket Regular Member

Actually, when I used BG80 the strings lasted me enough so that they broke in one month and did not lose tension. I guess I'd consider myself lucky for mishitting it whenever I need a new stringjob from lack of tension ^_^

NEver tried BG75 Ti though, never even heard of it.

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    If you string 68Ti properly, it is somewhat close to 85, but I would only say 80%.

Yes, 85 is expensive (because you need to restring a lot, really A LOT :D)

75TI? I have seen it before but I don't feel much difference from it. I personally don't like it.