MX 80 or BS 11

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by RH500, Mar 24, 2014.

1. RH500

RH500 Regular Member

Analyst
    Need to have some advice on choosing MX80 or BS 11.

I have recently bought BS 12, but i have sold it after i have bought mx JJS. I like the feel of BS 12, but I found that it does not generate a harder smash like mx jjs. My arc 11 smash harder than the bs 12.

Thinking to get either BS 11 or MX80. If i bought the bs 11, i would say that i would have a good all rounder racket, i could get the performance of BS12 while giving a better smash and at same time not tiring my shoulder so much.

Now if i got MX 80, then i would have a similar racket to my JJS. i would not have to keep on adjusting my timings if im switching between the JJS.

Im a recreational player and i only play doubles. I love the feel of my mx jjs therefore i would describe myself as a smashers.

Need to have opinions from previous users..

Thanks in advance.

2. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

If you are looking for harder, more powerful smash than JJS, I think you will be disappointed with the MX80. MX80 is very fast & accurate,perfect for midcourt drive shots. However you need better technique and strenght to use it especially in the power dept. Anyway, its a wonderful racket. Tain hard with it and you will love it when you win mid court drives battles.:D

Got my BS11 recently. Still in the phase of getting used to it. Powerful smashes, fast. IMO prefer it over JJS. Got the 3u which may be too heavy for me now. :(

BTW my JJS, MX80 and BS11 are all 3uG2(old). My current goto racket is zf1. I have no idea about BS12.
    JJS and BS11 are closer to the feel of zf1. Slight dfference in the power dept but close.

With regards to your question, I don'thave any timing adjustment switcing between the 3. Tiring or not depends on how much cow strenght you use.

Above is just my opinion.Have fun buying.:D

3. visor

visor Regular Member

avoid the uber stiff mx80 if you have shoulder troubles...

bs11 may be too slow in fast doubles exchanges due to it's head heaviness and mid flex shaft

have you considered the new jetspeed 8ps?

i'm using it now and it's quite similar to arc 11 but i'd say more powerful and still has great defence... only thing is it's slightly dull feel (like any yonex ;) ), which requires slightly higher tension to improve feel

4. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

Wonder why u don want to add leadtape on ur bs12? Victor have lead tape which cost really less

5. RH500

RH500 Regular Member

Analyst
    I thought of buying the tape too, but decided i not to keep it as i think jjs type of racket would me better..

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    BS11 is one of the best all rounders I have played with. It has everything. Speed, power, feel, control, torsional stiffness and (for me) the closest thing to the perfect racquet.

However beware of two things. First is that Victor has not been consistent with the spec of the BS11 and you will find that several "versions" of the BS11 with differring specs.

You have the original with the line indicator on the shaft, and then you have the newer versions with the dot indicator on the cone. Some say that the original was stiffer.

The newer version with the dot indicator has two versions too. One with a Balance of 3/5 and Stiffness 2/5 and another with Balance 3/5 and Stiffness 4/5. (There may even be a third version!)

Now having said that, just to confuse you further. The latest produced BS11 have slightly different paintwork. The colour is a slightly darker shade - looks better imo.

Furthermore, I have learned recently that the BP of the Victor racquets should be taken with a pince of salt. I have two BS11 with very similar BP (within 2mm) but one is MUCH more head heavy than the other!

To be honest, I personally find the MXJJS as stiff as I want to go. The JJS is a great racquet but any stiffer and it will not only hurt my arm, I think I may lose power. Obviously this may be different for you, but the JJS is in my view the best of the MX series (although I haven't tried the MX90).

7. RH500

RH500 Regular Member

Analyst
    R20190, I would have thought so too about the BS 11, close to a perfect balance of a racket.. less demanding racket to compare with JJS but it still can give u mostly everything.. thats what i thought.

By the way, what is your BS11 racket balance? can you post some picture? Any thoughts about MX80? Its between BS11 or MX80N now really..

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    MX80 is too stiff for me. The JJSs I have are pretty much as stiff as I would like - stiffer than the BS11. The MX80 has a nice feel and very solid on impact but too stiff for me to generate good power. I've always had one of (if not the) most powerful smashes at all the clubs I've played at, so I'm not a weak player, but I find the MX80 doesn't suit my stroke and hampered my power.

The balance point of my BS11s are both around 295 dry but have very different weights. One near the top and one near the bottom end of the 3U band. One feels much more HH than the other.

Both have a bit of head mass but to be honest it's not a problem. The BS frame definitely suits me better, the aero properties makes up for any extra head mass so I don't feel the BS11 is slow whatsoever. It may be a fraction slower than the BS10, but still much faster than most racquets I've tried.

I recently snapped the handle of my BS11 which I am in the process of repairing. It will undoubtedly throw out the BP and weight but should not affect play. I will start a new thread showing how I repaired it and my findings soon (probably next week) which will have some photos.

I've not tried the MX80N, sorry!

Another racquet worth throughing into the mix is the BSLHI. It is similar to the BS11.

9. xzavire

xzavire Regular Member

Engineer
    I have the BS 11, 12, MX 80 and JJS in 3UG2 with similar weights. My BS 11 is the older version with the stiffer shaft. I agree with R20190 and visor in their comments.

I feel that the MX 80 has better reaction due to its stiffness and even balance. It doesn't lag at all during swing and the response is great. It does require a solid forearm action and better technique to generate power. The MX JJS is relatively flexier with more weight at the head. You can generate power easier and when tired can transition between the 2 rackets effortlessly. Given proper technique and enough preparation time the MX80 gives me quite a bit more power than the JJS. However, the stiffness of the MX80 does tend to put more strain on the shoulders and forearms and I find it tiring after a 3-hour session. I usually switch to my JJS after 1.5 hours so that I can put less strain on my shoulders.

Personally the BS 12 is by far the best in terms of feel. Due to its weight distribution and flex it allows me to react faster and recover better. This allows me to take more chances in the front court and in defense. The absolute power is limited from the flex shaft and lack of headweight so it might be an issue for some players. The BS 11 is stiffer, different distribution of weight at the head and more headheavy, so naturally it has more power than the BS 12. With that said the BS 11 generates a lot less power than the MX80 could. The BS 11 is a great all-rounder racket and I find it easier to weld at the end of the night. I play less competitively nowadays than 4-5 years ago so I've personally opted for the BS 11 over the MX80 as I am going for control and consistency more than power.

I found it tough transitioning between the MX and BS series in the same night even though I've had both of them for years and trained with them regularly back in the day. I rarely go from my JJS to the BS 11 because I mishit during very fast rallies and can't generate power consistently after switching.

Ultimately it depends on your preferences. If you have had injuries in your shoulders I'd recommend the BS 11. Going from the JJS to BS 11, the timing may be an issue but you may not have the same adjustment problems that I've encountered. If you're confident in your stroke and want power the MX 80 is the way to go.

10. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

How about mx90, how it different between mx80,jjs and bs11?

11. xzavire

xzavire Regular Member

Engineer

I'm not sure if you're asking me or one of the other members. Unfortunately I do not have experience with the MX90. I understand that it's different from the JJS but I don't have one on hand to compare.

12. Good_friend

Good_friend Regular Member

Social Servis
    I'm thinking that, MX80 is for those beginers who need to upgrade their skill in Badminton. Vice versa BS11 is just for those who already have a good skill instead. :D

13. RH500

RH500 Regular Member

Analyst
    I thought its vice versa. MX80 is stiffer than BS 11.

14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yep, MX80 is definitely not a beginners racquet, far from it. But neither is a BS11. Although BS11 is a bit more user friendly.

15. RH500

RH500 Regular Member

Analyst
    How does MX80 compares to Yonex AT900p..? I could not play with the at900p, i dont know whether its because of the head heaviness or the shaft stiffness..

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I actually feel the same about AT900P. I have a JP version AT900P that I bought from Tokyo, played with it for about 30mins in 2007/08 then it has been in storage since! I just can't get along with it.

MX80 is a much nicer racquet in my opinion. MX80 has a much bigger and more useable sweetspot and is obviously stiffer. From memory the AT900P is probably a little more head heavy but to be honest, they are effectively about the same in terms of balance.

17. RH500

RH500 Regular Member

Analyst
    Just to share my pm conversation with Xzavire, i thought this might be useful to others.

Hello Xzavire,

Thanks for your reply on the mx 80 or bs 11 thread. Your comments are really helpful and it answered most of my thoughts on both rackets.. I appreciate your your help..

If you dont mind, I would like to ask for more direct opinions, I would like you to choose which racket i should buy. [​IMG]
    Maybe u could make a diagnosis on my case below..

I currently have Arc 11 & MX JJS in my bag.
    I am trying to offload the Arc 11 as I dont feel that I would want to use the racket anymore. I have to swing harder with the Arc 11 whereas playing with JJS makes me felt like I was driving a V8 engine car.

Given that i could only buy 1 more racket, which one you would recommend??

My heart says i would better of buying MX80 since its a proven good racket. I do not have any shoulder problem, but I would say that Im not a strong player as I already hit 33 years old this year. Playing with JJS tires my shoulder a little bit but i had quite satisfying game. I would say that my game has improved a little bit playing with JJS.

On the other side, My rational thinking had urged me to get the BS11 since Im only an average player. It would not tires my shoulder so much and I could play a control game.

I have swung MX80 (no string) & BS11, i felt that i would like prefer the even balance/faster swing of MX80. I felt that BS 11 is a little bit head heavier. Not sure though..

Appreciate that if you could offer me a final thoughts on which racket I should buy..

Thanks in advance..

Hello,

I'm glad my comments can be of some help to you. I'll add a final couple of things and I hope you can chose the right racket for you.

Both MX80 and BS 11 have been very popular and well reviewed rackets. It ultimately comes down to your skill level and style of play. My skills and style have evolved over the years and that's why I have both. I'll give you my experience and hopefully you can find some commonalities and make your choice.

When I first started training regularly and playing at a competitive level I found that the flexier shafts hindered the fast plays like counter attack drives or recovery defense. I also found that the power was lacking when I really needed a kill shot. That's why I switched from my AT900 T to BS 10 (gen 1) and later on MX80. These were great rackets and I loved playing with them. However, I did develop a shoulder strain playing at that level and frequency (4-5 days/week with 2 hours each). It didn't bother me much but I was aware of it.

After I started dating seriously and got married I played significantly less. I found that super stiff MX 80 was difficult to wield properly. I started downwards with the VT80 4U then later on to BS 11, BS LYD and then BS 12. The flexier shaft and almost even balance allowed me to play with ease. It's a more forgiving playing style and I don't have to have exact technique and be in perfect position every time. I occasionally use my MX 80 but I find my forearm tiring after a few very high energy games. I'm getting old I guess. The worst part is that I can't generate the full power as I used to so I can't benefit from the MX 80 anyways.

Currently my bag has the MX JJS, MX80 and BS 11. 90% of the time I switch to BS 11 after 2 games with the JJS and adjust for a bit before getting used to it. The weight of BS 11 head and slightly flexier shaft allows me to play at a decently high level for the entire night. I only switch to MX 80 when I need a fast game and I'm going all-out. However, I'm opening myself to potential injury and that may be a concern for you as well. We're both getting a little older and it's a rising concern.

From your descriptions of preferences and feeling I get the impression that you want a faster version of the MX JJS. Given you're over 30 and probably not playing super competitively (please correct me if you are) I think the BS 11 would be more suitable for you. It's more headheavy than the MX80 but is faster, more forgiving and is easier to use 10 years from now. BS 11 is available in 4U and I think it's worth considering. I find that the entire BS series tend to be on the heavier end. It'll be a slight adjustment in timing between the JJS and BS 11 but I'm sure you'll get used to it.

Regardless of what you chose it's going to be an adjustment but both rackets are amazing. Best of luck in your choice and let BC know what you get and how you do with it.

Hello,

Thanks very much for your reply. You really answered all of my thoughts/ queries really well... I really appreciate that. I think I am going for BS 11 or BS LHI tomorrow. As for the 3U or $U, the distributor here in Malaysia had only brought in the 3U. I havei read somewhere that we should go for the 3U version for the BS series to have enough power... Not sure about that. Have u tried or tempted to tried the BS LHI?

I have sold off my Arc 11 today. Im converting to Victor now except for the yonex shoes, SHB-01 Ltd that I owned now. If feels great using the Victor equipments, as I think Yonex was a little bit numb feeling. Like right now, I could not wait to have a swing again this evening with my JJS.

BTW, I really think that we should post our pm conversation outside as it would really helps others too.. what do u think?

Again, thanks for your help..!

Hi,

I'm glad I could help. I hope you'll enjoy your choice. Victor rackets do tend to have a little more feedback than Yonex but that comes down to preference.

3U is a good choice if it's available locally for you. I've tried 3U and 4U canadian rackets in the past and they seem to differ very little. Although there's some variation in production so that may explain why my rackets weight approximately the same.

I have not tried the BS LHI as I haven't found one in the specifications that suit me best. I've read a couple of the LHI's review, especially Paul Stewart's review. Apparently the rackets are very close and finding the difference is difficult. I think you'll do fine with either the LHI or BS 11. It may come down to your visual preference.

For your question regarding the AT900P. I've played with both rackets in the past and my opionion is that they are similar in head stiffness, different in shaft stiffness, different headweight and different swing speed. The MX 80 I have is more even balanced than my 900P and therefore swings faster. The head flex is similar although the MX80 feels like it has a stiffer shaft. The stiffer shaft may be because there is a less weight at the head, reducing the momentum. Comparing the 2 rackets that I have I think the MX 80 is faster but AT900P is more consistent in producing power. Again, this is probably due to the head weight.

Feel free to post any of our conversations. I'd be happy to share what I can with more people as long as you're OK with it as well.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

I'd still suggest trying out or considering the Jetspeed 8PS. Powerful and fast.

The BS11 will be too flexy and head heavy for fast doubles exchanges. Whereas the MX80 is just too stiff for regular aging players like us.

19. RH500

RH500 Regular Member

Analyst
    I thought it has a bit of numb feeling and sort of yonex hold feeling when smashing? Also from the reviews, I conclude that its not the type of racket that we would like on the first hit?

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Since increasing tension, feel is good now. As is power, speed, etc. :)