Developing countries

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Glen Trenouth, Apr 26, 2001.

1. I am living in the British Virgin Islands and at the moment the Island has no badminton courts. A couple of years ago the government employed a guy from Canada to develop sports on the Island and he tried to get to use some school halls, but basically unless he was promoting basketball,baseball,volleyball etc (big USA influence here) they did not want to know, he eventually resigned and went back to Canada. I am the treasurer of the only non profit making, racquet playing, sports club here. We have 4 tennis courts and 2 squash courts ( none of which is in the best of condition and are also desperate for funding).We recently spent all the clubs savings on buying some flat land( a rare commodity here)and would dearly like to develop it. I, and many others, as it turns out are closet badminton players, including many locals who have spent time in the UK and played there.We need to know who to approach to raise funds to build a hall for one or two courts. Better still would be for someone to source us and pay directly to some experienced court builders if handing over cash proved not to be possible. Please can anyone let me know who to approach to raise funds to develop badminton in this country.
    Thank you for reading this.
    Yours sincerely
    Glen Trenouth

2. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    You might want to contact the IBF, to find out if such contractors, are available for work, so they can build you approved courts/play sites.
    I'm sure they'd be able to give you an estimate as well... however I'm sure you know the costs of building such indoor facilities will have a price.

But I guess you could think of it this way...
    You could possibly end up building the best two badminton courts on the planet??
    Wouldn't that be great? :p

-Kelvin
    PS: I think the IBF might even have qualified planners available... I'm not too sure.
    It's definitely worth a try though. Best of luck to you.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    It's a sad story glen.
    Why dont you try to build a multi-sport gymnasism and get support from volleyball and basketball interest groups as while. Of course, the gymnasium time has to be shared among badminton, volleyball and basketball people.