Amelia Anscelly and Soong Fie Cho

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by SibugiChai, Mar 27, 2014.

1. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Friendship helps Amelia-Fie Cho on court

BY RAJES PAUL

[​IMG]Amelia Anscelly and Soong Fie Cho (left) have used their good friendship to help them on court. At the Malaysia Open Grand Prix Gold, they will face China's Huang Yaqiang-Yu Xiaohan in the quarter-finals.

PASIR GUDANG: In the absence of Myanmar SEA Games women’s doubles champions Woon Khe Wei-Vivian Hoo, the spotlight is on Sabahans Amelia Anscelly-Soong Fie Cho to step up to the plate in the ongoing Malaysia Open Grand Prix Gold.

The duo did just that on Thursday by checking into the quarter-finals at the Pasir Gudang Municipal Stadium after a hard-fought 21-17, 21-16 win over Chaladchalam Chayanit-Peeraya Munkitamorn of Thailand.

They will take on China’s aspiring juniors, Huang Yaqiang-Yu Xiaohan, in the last eight on Friday – and another round of good showing will justify their status as the country’s second best women’s pair.

Amelia and Fie Cho, bosom buddies from young, are glad that their close-knit friendship brought them together on the badminton court.

“We have been playing together in the national team for only one and a half years although we have known each other for a very long time,” said the 26-year-old Amelia.

“I joined BAM’s (Badminton Association of Malaysia) Academy in Form 1.

Whenever I went back to the state for short breaks, I would catch up with my childhood friend Fie Cho by playing badminton.

“Fortunately, our dream to play badminton together for Malaysia materialised when Fie Cho finally joined me at BAM one and a half years ago.”

Their partnership got off to a brilliant start when they won their first international title at the 2013 Iran International in February.
    Fie Cho said that they had enjoyed steady progress but have yet to make any major breakthroughs.

“We came very close to winning our first GP Gold title last year but lost in the final in Vietnam. We can work so well together and I believe we have a lot of room for improvement,” added Fie Cho, who hopes to go far in the home tournament.

A good showing will certainly justify their selection for the Uber Cup Finals squad.
    Besides Amelia-Fie Cho, Lim Yin Loo-Lee Meng Yean also made it to the women’s doubles quarter-finals. They will next take on third seeds Shinta Mulia Sari-Yao Lei of Singapore.

2. SibugiChai

YAB
    Amelia-Fie Cho seek revenge against Indian pairBY RAJES PAULMalaysian women’s doubles pair Soong Fie Cho (left) and Amelia Anscelly.Malaysian women’s doubles pair Soong Fie Cho (left) and Amelia Anscelly. EmailFacebook9KUALA LUMPUR: National women’s doubles shuttlers Amelia Anscelly-Soong Fie Cho will be on a dual mission after marching into the quarter-finals of the Asian Badminton Championships (ABC) in Gimcheon, South Korea, on a day most of the other Malaysians fell by the wayside.On Thursday, Amelia-Fie Cho kept it simple to beat Hsieh Pei-chen-Cheng Wen-hsing of Taiwan 21-14, 21-14 in a 30-minute second round match to set up a last eight clash against India’s former World Championships bronze medallists Ashwini Ponnappa-Jwala Gutta of India.They aim to avenge their Indian Open GP Gold loss to Ashwini-Jwala and hope that it would help seal their place in the Uber Cup Finals squad.“Fie Cho and I played calmly against the Taiwanese pair. It will be tougher tomorrow (against the Indians). We lost to them at the Indian Open GP Gold but we hope to get our revenge,” said Amelia.“Hopefully, a good run here will strengthen our chances of playing in the Uber Cup Finals team.”They were the only women’s doubles pair left in the ABC after Woon Khe Wei-Vivian Hoo and Lee Meng Yean-Lim Yin Loo crashed out.Khe Wei-Vivian lost 15-21, 22-24 to fourth seeds Ko A-ra-Yoo Hae-won of South Korea while Meng Yean-Yin Loo went down 15-21, 11-21 to China’s Luo sisters – Ying and Yu.In men’s doubles, Low Juan Shen-Nelson Heg Wei Keat are through to the semi-finals after their opponents – top seeds and Singapore Open runners-up Tsai Chia-hsin-Lee Sheng-mu of Taiwan – conceded a walkover.Juan Shen-Wei Keat will take on China’s Shi Longfei-Chen Zhuofu and there is a good chance for them to reach their first men’s doubles final in an Open tournament.Malaysia’s other men’s doubles pair Teo Ee Yi-Chooi Kah Ming crashed out 15-21, 12-21 to South Koreans Shin Baek-cheol-Yoo Yeon-seong on Thursday.Malaysia’s challenge in the women’s singles was wiped out with the defeats of Tee Jing Yi and Lim Yin Fun.In men’s singles, five-time world champion Lin Dan of China continued with his fine form when he reached the quarter-finals with a thumping 21-13, 21-4 win over Pham Cao Cuong of Vietnam in 30 minutes.The reigning China Masters Grand Prix Gold champion will now take on Hong Kong’s Wei Nan, who did well to dump Lee Dong-keon of South Korea with a 21-8, 21-17 win in 45 minutes.

3. SibugiChai

YAB
    Amelia-Fie Cho seek revenge against Indian pairBY RAJES PAULMalaysian women’s doubles pair Soong Fie Cho (left) and Amelia Anscelly.Malaysian women’s doubles pair Soong Fie Cho (left) and Amelia Anscelly. EmailFacebook9KUALA LUMPUR: National women’s doubles shuttlers Amelia Anscelly-Soong Fie Cho will be on a dual mission after marching into the quarter-finals of the Asian Badminton Championships (ABC) in Gimcheon, South Korea, on a day most of the other Malaysians fell by the wayside.On Thursday, Amelia-Fie Cho kept it simple to beat Hsieh Pei-chen-Cheng Wen-hsing of Taiwan 21-14, 21-14 in a 30-minute second round match to set up a last eight clash against India’s former World Championships bronze medallists Ashwini Ponnappa-Jwala Gutta of India.They aim to avenge their Indian Open GP Gold loss to Ashwini-Jwala and hope that it would help seal their place in the Uber Cup Finals squad.“Fie Cho and I played calmly against the Taiwanese pair. It will be tougher tomorrow (against the Indians). We lost to them at the Indian Open GP Gold but we hope to get our revenge,” said Amelia.“Hopefully, a good run here will strengthen our chances of playing in the Uber Cup Finals team.”They were the only women’s doubles pair left in the ABC after Woon Khe Wei-Vivian Hoo and Lee Meng Yean-Lim Yin Loo crashed out.Khe Wei-Vivian lost 15-21, 22-24 to fourth seeds Ko A-ra-Yoo Hae-won of South Korea while Meng Yean-Yin Loo went down 15-21, 11-21 to China’s Luo sisters – Ying and Yu.In men’s doubles, Low Juan Shen-Nelson Heg Wei Keat are through to the semi-finals after their opponents – top seeds and Singapore Open runners-up Tsai Chia-hsin-Lee Sheng-mu of Taiwan – conceded a walkover.Juan Shen-Wei Keat will take on China’s Shi Longfei-Chen Zhuofu and there is a good chance for them to reach their first men’s doubles final in an Open tournament.Malaysia’s other men’s doubles pair Teo Ee Yi-Chooi Kah Ming crashed out 15-21, 12-21 to South Koreans Shin Baek-cheol-Yoo Yeon-seong on Thursday.Malaysia’s challenge in the women’s singles was wiped out with the defeats of Tee Jing Yi and Lim Yin Fun.In men’s singles, five-time world champion Lin Dan of China continued with his fine form when he reached the quarter-finals with a thumping 21-13, 21-4 win over Pham Cao Cuong of Vietnam in 30 minutes.The reigning China Masters Grand Prix Gold champion will now take on Hong Kong’s Wei Nan, who did well to dump Lee Dong-keon of South Korea with a 21-8, 21-17 win in 45 minutes.

4. SibugiChai

YAB
    Doubles champ Fie Cho goes from sawdust to stardust

BY RAJES PAUL

National women doubles pair Soong Fie Cho and Amelia Anscelly in action at the Incheon Asian Games in South Korea last September. - Filepic
    National women doubles pair Soong Fie Cho and Amelia Anscelly in action at the Incheon Asian Games in South Korea last September. - Filepic

KUALA LUMPUR: In just four years, Soong Fie Cho has turned from a helper at a sawmill company in Sabah’s Lahad Datu to a badminton champion.

And buoyed by the change of fortune in her badminton career, the 24-year-old Fie Cho is now looking forward to her first All-England appearance with Amelia Anscelly in Birmingham from March 3-8.

Last month, Fie Cho and fellow Sabahan Amelia made heads turn when they won the women’s doubles title at the Indian Open Grand Prix Gold in Lucknow. They stunned Jwala Gutta-Ashwini Ponnappa of India, the Commonweath Games silver medallists, in the semi-finals and then compatriots Woon Khe Wei-Vivian Hoo, the Commonwealth Games champions, in the final for their first GP Gold title.

Fie Cho-Amelia’s other triumph was at the Iran International Challenge last year.

On the local front, Fie Cho-Amelia did well to win the national title twice in 2013 and 2015.

Fie Cho is also an accomplished mixed doubles player, emerging as the national mixed doubles champion with Goh V Shem in 2013 and Lutfi Zaim Abdul Khalid last year.

Fie Cho said she would not have been involved in badminton if not for childhood friend Amelia.

“I will always be grateful to Amelia. She left the national team in 2010 and returned to Sabah. Then, I was working at my father’s sawmill. She coaxed me to partner her in the women’s doubles as independent players,” said Fie Cho.

“We found a sponsor and did quite well in 2011. By end of that year, national coach Rosman Razak invited us to join the national team.

“Before joining the BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia), I used to play with my father and his friends at night ... that was the only regular training for me. I had represented Sabah in junior tournaments, but never gone beyond that.”

Things have certainly changed for Fie Cho and Amelia. Today, they are ranked 24th in the world and have earned a direct entry into the main draw of the All-England, the world’s oldest badminton tournament, for the first time.

“Finally, I get to play at the All-England. Hopefully, Amelia and I will be able to make it a memorable outing,” added Fie Cho.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Please provide the link to the original article - otherwise your post may get deleted

Thanks.

6. hannster

hannster Regular Member

Principal Architect
    Wow, for a pair that got into the SEA Games finals, they deserve a bit more discussion in this forum!

Saw them live at the SEA Games quarterfinals... great attitude and fortitude. On their victory, they even gestured and thanked the Malaysian supporters at the stadium who were seated close by.

Fie Cho is really fast at the front court, and Amelia has got good consistency... and they've got good chemistry. Hope they continue to rise in the international circuit!

Hope they continue to do well in the international circuit!

7. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    yes i noticed this in the final. they play with a more positive attitude than their teammates (who often look somber in comparison)

8. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Amelia have more powerful smash than any Mas wd players...

9. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Both of them played very well in the sea games final today hence winning the women doubles gold medal today. Congratulations once again for winning the match.

10. SibugiChai

YAB
    Amelia-Fie Cho: This gold is for all of you

BY KNG ZHENG GUAN

Malaysia's Amelia Alicia Anscelly (right) and Soong Fie Cho with their doubles gold medal won at the Singapore SEA Games on Tuesday. - FAIHAN GHANI/ The STAR
    Malaysia's Amelia Alicia Anscelly (right) and Soong Fie Cho with their doubles gold medal won at the Singapore SEA Games on Tuesday. - FAIHAN GHANI/ The STAR

SINGAPORE: This is for you Sabah!

Malaysian badminton players Amelia Alicia Anscelly and Soong Fie Cho were in tears after upsetting top ranked team-mates Vivian Hoo-Woon Khe Wei for the gold medal in the women’s doubles final.

The World No. 26 pair defeated world No. 11 Vivian-Khe Wei 21-18, 21-13 at the Singapore Indoor Stadium on Tuesday and immediately dedicated the gold to their home state of Sabah, which was recently struck by a 5.9-magnitude earthquake.

This is the second time that Amelia-Fie Cho have beaten Vivian-Khe Wei in a final, having last won the Indian Open GP Gold in January.

“To my parents, my boyfriend and all our friends back in Sabah who are supporting us, this gold is for all of you,” said Amelia.

“Sabah is a beautiful place where everyone cares for each other and I believe our people back home will bounce back stronger.”

Speaking about their biggest achievement to date, Amelia hopes that the win will help them shed their tags as the second best pair in Malaysia.

“It hasn’t been an easy journey for us because we only joined the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) set-up four years ago ... we were lacking in the basics,” said Amelia.

“We had to train very hard to catch up ... and even then, a win like this was not easy. Probably, it was because they were the defending champions and had more pressure than us. But this win proves that we can compete against stronger opponents.

“Our target now is to get into the top 10 ranking. The gold in the Singapore SEA Games is a huge boost to our efforts to achieve greater goals.”

*pic by FAIHAN GHANI/ The STAR

*video by KNG ZHENG GUAN

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/06/16/AmeliaFie-Cho-This-gold-is-for-all-of-you/

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Congrats to them. They played well. Not only good attacking power, but also smart blocks and great touch shots.

12. SibugiChai

YAB
    Amelia-Fie Cho fret not with Taiwan Open snub

BY RAJES PAUL

Share this article on Facebook or Twitter
    to win cash or gadget!
    Amelia-Fie Cho was not registered for the Taiwan Open from July 14-19.
    Amelia-Fie Cho was not registered for the Taiwan Open from July 14-19.

KUALA LUMPUR: Reigning SEA Games women’s doubles champions Amelia Anscelly-Soong Fie Cho have been left out from the Taiwan Open badminton championships.

And Amelia is just fine with it.

“It’s unfortunate that our names were not registered. It was an oversight ... but it’s all right. We will have other tournaments to take part in to strengthen our world ranking,” said Amelia after their exclusion from the July 14-19 tournament.

Sabahans Amelia-Fie Cho, ranked 24th in the world, are still buoyed by their SEA Games success in Singapore.

Amelia-Fie Cho pulled off a surprise when they stunned favourites and team-mates Vivian Hoo-Woon Khe Wei for the gold medal.

It was only their second win over Vivian-Khe Wei. Their first was in the final of the Indian Open Grand Prix Gold in January.

“The SEA Games gold was a pleasant surprise. The win has given Fie Cho and I a lot of confidence. We hope more good things will come our way,” said Amelia.

She also said that they will now use the extra time to prepare for the third World Championships in Jakarta from Aug 10-16.

“Fie Cho and I never went beyond the early rounds in the last two world meets (2013 in Wuhan and 2014 in Copenhagen). This time, we want to make at least the quarter-finals,” said Amelia.

“The women’s doubles field will be more competitive. It’s time Fie Cho and I start beating higher-ranked opponents from China, South Korea and Indonesia.”

In the absence of Amelia-Fie Cho at the Taiwan Open, Malaysia will be represented by Vivian-Khe Wei and Joyce Choong Wai Chi-Wen Yap Cheng.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...ia-Fie-Cho-unperturbed-with-Taiwan-Open-snub/

13. visor

visor Regular Member

^ That's just mind boggling how they were overlooked. Morten Frost won't be too pleased about it.

14. SibugiChai

YAB
    Amelia-Fie Cho claim spot in Worlds quarter-finals

BY RAJES PAUL

Amelia-Fie Cho would want to do one better than their coaches by reaching the semi-finals in Jakarta.
    Amelia-Fie Cho would want to do one better than their coaches by reaching the semi-finals in Jakarta.

JAKARTA: Amelia Anscelly-Soong Fie Cho credited their coaches after scoring a stunning win to reach the women’s doubles quarter-finals at the World Championships.

The unseeded Malaysians rose to the occasion to beat Japan’s world No. 1 Misaki Matsutomo-Ayaka Takahashi 21-15, 12-21, 21-14 in an energy-sapping 58-minute third-round clash at the Istora Senayan.

Amelia-Fie Cho will play home favourites Nitya Krishinda Maheswari-Greysia Polii for a place in the semi-finals on Friday.

On Thursday, SEA Games champions Amelia-Fie Cho started on a ferocious mode. They often rained down smashes from the baseline and it broke the Japanese’s rhythm in the opening game.

Matsutomo-Takahashi recovered from the setback to win the second, but Amelia-Fie Choo never gave up. Although tired from the long rallies, Amelia-Fie Cho kept their composure to record their first win over the world’s top pair. It’s the first time Malaysia will be represented

in the quarter-finals for the first time in nine years.

Coincidently Amelia-Fie Choo’s coaches – Wong Pei Tty and Chin Eei Hui – were the last Malaysians to reach the last eight in Madrid in 2006.

Amelia attributed their win to the inputs by Pei Tty and Eei Hui.

”The coaches gave us the right tips. It helped a lot. Thank you very much,” said Amelia.”We are happy that like them (Pei Tty and Eei Hui), we have made it to the quarter-finals. But we do not want to stop here, we want to go further.

”It will get tougher but we hope to give another good showing,” added the 27-year-old Amelia.

The 26-year-old Fie Cho was overjoyed to end their losing streak against the Japanese.

“I am so happy right now. We have never beaten them and to do so at the World Championships is amazing,” said Fie Cho. ”We played without much pressure and just enjoyed ourselves. This is an unexpected result. It will be tough in the last eight but we will use the same approach – just enjoy the game.”

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...ens-pair-through-to-quarterfinals-in-Jakarta/

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Good to see this resilient pair make it this far. Will see how they manage against Maheswari and Polii today.

16. SibugiChai

YAB
    Amelia-Fie Cho aiming to be in the top-10

BY RAJES PAUL

Amelia-Fie Cho (right) were no match for Indonesia's Nitya Krishinda Maheswari-Greysia Polii as they lost 11-21, 11-21 in the quarter-finals. - Reuters
    Amelia-Fie Cho (right) were no match for Indonesia's Nitya Krishinda Maheswari-Greysia Polii as they lost 11-21, 11-21 in the quarter-finals. - Reuters

JAKARTA: Rejuvenated Amelia Anscelly-Soong Fie Cho have set a target to be in the top-10 after their gallant run in Jakarta.

Despite the world No. 24 pair collapsing with a 11-21, 11-21 defeat to homesters Nitya Krishinda Maheswari-Greysia Polii, they can walk tall having reached the quarter-finals.

On Thursday, Amelia-Fie Cho had given Malaysian women a huge boost when they upset top seeds Misaki Matsutomo-Ayaka Takahashi of Japan to become the first Malaysian women’s pair in the last eight in nine years.

Amelia said they failed to bring their “A” game in their defeat on Friday.

“We were not at our best and the opponents were really, really good. This is our first meeting and we have learnt much from the defeat,” said Amelia.

Fie Cho rued their impatience and added that they were a bit tired going into the court.

“We were tired after the big match (on Thursday) but I am sure they were feeling the same too ... we just lost to a better pair.”

Their breakthrough in the world meet marked a great year for the Sabahans.

The duo shot to prominence this year after winning the Indian Open Grand Prix Gold in January and the gold medal at the Singapore SEA Games in June.

“The World Championships here has given us a lot of confidence and proved that we can now challenge the top players,” said Amelia.

The pair will head to the Vietnam Open next, before competing in the Denmark and France Superseries tournaments.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/08/14/Amelia-Fi-Cho-wants-to-be-in-the-top-10/

17. SibugiChai

YAB
    Amelia-Fie Cho going places after stellar run at worlds

BY KNG ZHENG GUAN

National doubles pair Amelia Anscelly (left) and Soong Fie Cho celebrate after winning the gold medal at the Singapore SEA Games in June. - The STAR Filepic
    National doubles pair Amelia Anscelly (left) and Soong Fie Cho celebrate after winning the gold medal at the Singapore SEA Games in June. - The STAR Filepic

PETALING JAYA: Doubles pair Amelia Alicia Anscelly-Soong Fie Cho have earned more playing time to stack their credentials.

The world No. 24 proved to be a revelation at last week’s World Badminton Championships in Jakarta, beating world No.1 Misaki Matsutomo-Ayaka Takahshi of Japan in the women’s doubles third round before bowing out in the quarter-finals.

The world meet was their first competition since the Australian Open in May.

And Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) technical director Morten Frost believes the time is now right for Amelia and Fie Cho to move up a tier in world badminton.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Amelia-Fie Cho are slowly but surely proving themselves with their results,” said Frost.

“It is a good development and they will now get the same tournament plan as the other pair (Vivian Hoo-Woon Khe Wei). Amelia-Fie Cho will get more opportunities to play in bigger tournaments.

“We are looking to send them for the Denmark and French Opens in October,” added the Dane.

Before that, the SEA Games gold medallists will have one more tournament this month – at the Vietnam Open Grand Prix in Ho Chi Minh City from Aug 24-30.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...Cho-going-places-after-stellar-run-at-worlds/

18. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Wow amazing. Till today I am still not able to forget the big upsets that both of them have created in the recent WC at Jakarta, Indonesia. Yes, both of them have won over the world ranked no 1 player misaki matsutomo / ayaka Takahashi in the third round. Convincingly the won the first set 21-15 and third set 21-14. Wow found out too that Amelia really can smash very well and very hard. This is indeed a very rare case for WD. However, Amelia is really an exceptional player. She can smash very hard just like Goh V Shem. Anyway after seeing so much of their great improvement and achievement, I really started to like this pair a lot and now I am their great fan and supporter. I believe that both of them have the bright future to go far. Yes, Malaysia is indeed lucky to have such a great pair. Congratulations for creating the biggest upset ever in the recent WC held at Jakarta, Indonesia. I felt very happy for both of them. Will keep you guys updated here once I have any news about them.

19. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    i think they are the hardest working players since LCW's wife.

20. Master

Master Regular Member

Amelia Alicia Anscelly becomes women’s doubles coach for BJSS

[​IMG]
    Congratulations and good luck to Amelia Alicia Anscelly (right) on her new job. (Photo: Bernama)

Kuala Lumpur: Amelia Alicia Anscelly who won the gold medal at the 2015 Southeast Asian Games with Soong Fie Cho, was appointed as the women’s doubles coach for Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) in Malaysia.

Anscelly who was paired up with several different partners after her original partner Soong Fie Cho underwent a knee surgery at the end of 2015. She had decided to retire from professional badminton on April 2017, after experiencing performance deterioration due to frequent changes of partners.

And now, she has a chance to share her passion and knowledge of the sport to young Malaysian players and show them the next step in their careers.

I thought of becoming an independent player after I retired from Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM). But I realized I was not as enthusiastic about playing badminton as before, that’s why I’ve decided to devote my energy into coaching.”

My husband, family and friends have supported my decision to become the coach for these young shuttlers.

Amelia Alicia Anscelly told Malaysian media that she would discuss the planning and vision of the program with the Malaysian youth coach Kwan Yoke Meng.

In addition to winning gold medal in 2015 Southeast Asian Games, she also won the 2015 Grand Prix Gold title at the Syed Modi International tournament with Soong Fie Cho, and both of them had reached their highest world ranking, at No.17 on November 2015.

[Source]