User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jkt-Indo
    Posts
    9,014
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default 2014 THOMAS-UBER Cups DRAW

    The draw is conducted today in New Delhi, India.
    BWF twitter : https://twitter.com/bwfmedia

    UBER CUP DRAW
    Group A : China, Chinese Taipei, England, Russia
    Group B : Korea, Indonesia, Australia, Singapore
    Group C : Thailand, India, Canada, Hong Kong
    Group D : Japan, Denmark, Malaysia, Germany




    THOMAS Cup DRAW
    Group A : Indonesia, Thailand, Nigeria, Singapore
    Group B : Japan, Denmark, Hong Kong, England
    Group C : Malaysia, Korea, Germany, India
    Group D : China, Chinese Taipei, Russia, France

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kuala Lumpue
    Posts
    1,860
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    great chance for INA -CHN final in Thomas Cup
    MAS in group of 'near death' in Thomas Cup

  3. #3
    Regular Member Penwinack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    BELIEVE
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I read the rule 5.8 for knock out stage of TUC team that seed 1-4 in QF won't depend on the top of group but depend on world team ranking seed on date 15 May 2014 so the team will not fight hard for the top of group because if your team is seed 1-4 and runner up of group will survive another top seed team.
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=423674&dl=1
    Last edited by Penwinack; 03-30-2014 at 08:53 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kuala Lumpue
    Posts
    1,860
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hope MAS Thomas Cup team can at least qualify for the QF by winning Germany and India...
    To beat Korea it will need to take at least 2 single 1 double to win...

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    1,552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Penwinack View Post
    I read the rule 5.8 for knock out stage of TUC team that seed 1-4 in QF won't depend on the top of group but depend on world team ranking seed on date 15 May 2014 so the team will not fight hard for the top of group because if your team is seed 1-4 and runner up of group will survive another top seed team.
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=423674&dl=1
    Dont think so, my interpretation of the rule is that the 4 top of group will then ordered by rank on above date then rank 1 and 2 will be placed in a way so that they may only meet in the final

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's incredible how tough groups B and C are compared to China and Indonesia's group.

  7. #7
    Regular Member cxytdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    China
    Posts
    661
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default




  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Where else?
    Posts
    2,146
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wow, group C is surely the group of death.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    12,679
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Surprised that SIN is in TC.
    I thought SIN qualified for only UC.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NorCal, United States
    Posts
    937
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Surprised that SIN is in TC.
    I thought SIN qualified for only UC.
    Yes, I'm wondering why they are in, and not US. They made it so confusing. Is the Region thing only for 1 event. (Where Pan Ams Region has Canada in UC, does it not apply to TC?) Either way, US has more points than SIN for TC?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jkt-Indo
    Posts
    9,014
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  12. #12
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    12,679
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Singapore's men earn entry to Thomas Cup finals for first time since 1986

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Surprised that SIN is in TC.
    I thought SIN qualified for only UC.



    The Straits Times
    Published on Mar 31, 2014
    3:43 PM


    By May Chen

    Singapore's national men's badminton team have qualified for the Thomas Cup finals, the first time since 1986 that the Republic has gained entry to the prestigious event.

    The men, led by world No. 45 Derek Wong, will compete at the biennial world team championships for men in New Delhi, India from May 18-25, joining the women's team which also qualified for the Uber Cup.

    The qualification process for the Thomas Cup was changed this year, and is now based on the total ranking points of a team's three highest-ranked singles player and two pairs of doubles players. Singapore was on the reserve list of teams that could play in the 16-strong event, but will now compete after other countries declined participation. Teams previously had to get past continental preliminary rounds.

    Said Ronnie Lim, chief executive officer of the Singapore Badminton Association: "It is fantastic that Singapore has made history by qualifying for both the Thomas and Uber Cup finals in the same year for the first time. This shows that Singapore badminton is heading in the right direction and we are making inroads in our efforts to establish Singapore amongst the elite badminton nations of the world."

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    The Straits Times
    Published on Mar 31, 2014
    3:43 PM


    By May Chen

    Singapore's national men's badminton team have qualified for the Thomas Cup finals, the first time since 1986 that the Republic has gained entry to the prestigious event.

    The men, led by world No. 45 Derek Wong, will compete at the biennial world team championships for men in New Delhi, India from May 18-25, joining the women's team which also qualified for the Uber Cup.

    The qualification process for the Thomas Cup was changed this year, and is now based on the total ranking points of a team's three highest-ranked singles player and two pairs of doubles players. Singapore was on the reserve list of teams that could play in the 16-strong event, but will now compete after other countries declined participation. Teams previously had to get past continental preliminary rounds.

    Said Ronnie Lim, chief executive officer of the Singapore Badminton Association: "It is fantastic that Singapore has made history by qualifying for both the Thomas and Uber Cup finals in the same year for the first time. This shows that Singapore badminton is heading in the right direction and we are making inroads in our efforts to establish Singapore amongst the elite badminton nations of the world."
    It's sad to see that some countries declined to participate in TC/UC event. I bet we won't see this in modern soccer's world cup. I think the BWF must work really hard to prevent badminton to be degraded from olympics.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NorCal, United States
    Posts
    937
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    The Straits Times
    Published on Mar 31, 2014
    3:43 PM


    By May Chen

    Singapore's national men's badminton team have qualified for the Thomas Cup finals, the first time since 1986 that the Republic has gained entry to the prestigious event.

    The men, led by world No. 45 Derek Wong, will compete at the biennial world team championships for men in New Delhi, India from May 18-25, joining the women's team which also qualified for the Uber Cup.

    The qualification process for the Thomas Cup was changed this year, and is now based on the total ranking points of a team's three highest-ranked singles player and two pairs of doubles players. Singapore was on the reserve list of teams that could play in the 16-strong event, but will now compete after other countries declined participation. Teams previously had to get past continental preliminary rounds.

    Said Ronnie Lim, chief executive officer of the Singapore Badminton Association: "It is fantastic that Singapore has made history by qualifying for both the Thomas and Uber Cup finals in the same year for the first time. This shows that Singapore badminton is heading in the right direction and we are making inroads in our efforts to establish Singapore amongst the elite badminton nations of the world."
    According to this list, USA has more ranking points than SIN but is in the reserved list and not the main round? http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=541593&dl=1

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    925
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In Thomas cup, the group of death is group B

  16. #16
    Regular Member Mr. Epic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    835
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The schedule for the Thomas & Uber Cup is out - http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=549361&dl=1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •