User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which Drop Weight Machine and tools for starting out?

Hi all,

I have read a few threads in this section and have decided to get a drop-weight machine because of its accuracy in tensioning and minimal calibration. Also with a budget 350-400 (Machine + tools), anything more is stretching it. I was hoping this would get me everything I need to start stringing.

I have no intention to purchase a WISE.

On WDStrings, I have come across the premium stringer 3600, and the Challenger models 1 and 2, but am towards the premium stringer 3600 atm.

I have the following questions based on what I've read elsewhere on this forum:

1. Which of the following tools are necessary and which are optional:

My opinion are as follows:

What is the 5-prong dual clamp mentioned somewhere?

Flying clamps - Yonex x2 and MBS clamps x2 or Hi Qua x2? (one set for the cross, and another for the mains, can't remember which)

String Cutter and pliers - Necessary
    Load Spreader - Necessary
    Badminton Awl -Optional?
    Starting clamp - Optional?
    String Mover - Optional?
    Michal's racket support thingy? - Posters have recommended this...

2. Which of the above three models do you recommend?

3. Have I missed anything?
    Last edited by goku999; 03-30-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You definitely want an awl and string mover

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 Prong Dual Clamp is a fixed base clamp that you'll use for holding the pulled tension of the stringer

I would strongly advise if you are also going to be stringing for tennis to keep the tennis base clamps that you receive with the stringer and purchase a pair of the 5 prong base clamps

I purchased 2x Yonex flying clamps for my machine however rarely use them, I only use them sometimes if there is not enough space when tying off the last cross

A string cutter and pliers are yes necessary, I bought the kit on wdstrings with the string move and a few awls, pliers and cutter for i think it was 15 + vat

Which then covers yours awls which does help sometimes

Starting clamp personally is one of the best things you can buy, there are some expensive babolat ones but i just bought the pro's pro one and they work just as well

Michael Chudek's Side Supports are so much better for stringing badminton rackets compared to the standard ones that come with your PS3600!

I personally recommend the 3600, however i've not tried the pro's pro machines

You have not forgotten anything, the load spreader I bought from ebay which were the same ones as the ones you get on mbs, the coloured ones are thinner than the white ones which gives you more space on the last cross

May I ask where in the UK do you stay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by henrychenn View Post
    5 Prong Dual Clamp is a fixed base clamp that you'll use for holding the pulled tension of the stringer

I would strongly advise if you are also going to be stringing for tennis to keep the tennis base clamps that you receive with the stringer and purchase a pair of the 5 prong base clamps

I purchased 2x Yonex flying clamps for my machine however rarely use them, I only use them sometimes if there is not enough space when tying off the last cross

A string cutter and pliers are yes necessary, I bought the kit on wdstrings with the string move and a few awls, pliers and cutter for i think it was 15 + vat

Which then covers yours awls which does help sometimes

Starting clamp personally is one of the best things you can buy, there are some expensive babolat ones but i just bought the pro's pro one and they work just as well

Michael Chudek's Side Supports are so much better for stringing badminton rackets compared to the standard ones that come with your PS3600!

I personally recommend the 3600, however i've not tried the pro's pro machines

You have not forgotten anything, the load spreader I bought from ebay which were the same ones as the ones you get on mbs, the coloured ones are thinner than the white ones which gives you more space on the last cross

May I ask where in the UK do you stay?
    Nah, badminton only! Would you advise using fixed clamps that come with the 3600 as it seems they are more tennis oriented? Could they be switched with the 5 prong clamp on ordering do you know?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes before you make your order on wdstrings message them and ask to exchange the tennis clamps to the 5 prong clamps

They said yes to me however charged a certain amount for them, think they said 15, but i thought since i would be stringing squash and tennis that i would keep the original clamps and purchase extra 5 prong clamps as it only saved me 10 in total

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingzzz View Post
    You definitely want an awl and string mover
    Is the string mover, the "String Pull-up" from the badminton stringing tool kit here: http://www.wdstrings.co.uk/acatalog/Other_Tools.html

The metal handle? I can't see if it has a curved end or not.

Looks like this is the kit for starters.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goku999 View Post
    Is the string mover, the "String Pull-up" from the badminton stringing tool kit here: http://www.wdstrings.co.uk/acatalog/Other_Tools.html

The metal handle? I can't see if it has a curved end or not.

Looks like this is the kit for starters.
    Yes that is the string mover

However the one that comes with this is actually blunt ended and quite hard to move the main string to weave the cross out, I would suggest getting the one from mbs!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Machine and tools for starting out?
    I ve started out with the following
    Challenger machine (wise head will attach easily if you want upgrade later, I did that)
    Badminton swivel clamps
    pliers
    cutter
    awl
    2 flying clamps
    load spreaders
    string mover

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I started stringing I used a string mover, currently, never... Just cutter, pliers and 2 yonex flying clamps.

Never used an awl during stringing, and with proper techniques (cutting the string in a sharp tip, and using kwun's "angle of attack" approach) I have never needed a string mover anymore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cutting string in a sharp tip is the tennis racquet stringing technique to pass shared grommets. For those racquets is easier as the string is a lot thicker and stiffer, so it bends much less as the badminton string. String mover can also be important to bend the string that blocks a single pass grommet. String mover can save a lot of time in these matters.
    The awl is not an essential tool and I use it very rarely, for example to help to untie, to help removing a grommet and also to bend a string that blocks a single pass grommet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robin said that he will post on wdstrings new fixed clamps over the coming week. They are apparently similar to the 5-prong fixed clamp other members have suggested but won't have the black handle. He has recommended them to me but I am intrigued as to whether these are better than the 5-prong clamps.

Also, what about a grommet remover? Anyone recommend a reliable one that isn't too costly?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robin said that he will post on wdstrings new fixed clamps over the coming week. They are apparently similar to the 5-prong fixed clamp other members have suggested but won't have the black handle. He has recommended them to me but I am intrigued as to whether these are better than the 5-prong clamps.
    Are you talking about the "penta premium badminton clamp" that is posted in wdstrings website?
    By its appearance I think I still prefer those 5-prong with black handle. I have these for several years and they suit me just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks silvestre351, others have also recommended the 5-prong clamp, which is the one I am likely to purchase.

This is the reply I got from Robin:

"Thanks for your email. WA3343 is not on the website yet but I will put in on shortly !

It is very similar to WA3342 but without the black handle."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks silvestre351, others have also recommended the 5-prong clamp, which is the one I am likely to purchase.

This is the reply I got from Robin:

"Thanks for your email. WA3343 is not on the website yet but I will put in on shortly !

It is very similar to WA3342 but without the black handle."
    I would also be interested in this, however is the difference only in the handle? If so then i'll stick with my old ones

A grommet remover is not essential however is so much easier to remove grommets and doesn't damage the paint (if you were to remove with pliers etc)

saves a lot of time and i'm glad I bought mine, also aids to turning the grommets

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

WA3342 is only GBP18 each? that's a steal for a fixed clamp!

Gamma is selling theirs for US$99!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are the 5-prong clamps suitable for the crosses (do a better job) than using flying clamps such as yonex?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by henrychenn View Post
    I would also be interested in this, however is the difference only in the handle? If so then i'll stick with my old onesA grommet remover is not essential however is so much easier to remove grommets and doesn't damage the paint (if you were to remove with pliers etc)saves a lot of time and i'm glad I bought mine, also aids to turning the grommets
    From the conversation I had with Robin, it appears to be these:http://www.bigttennis.com/PRO_S_PRO_...clto65.htmThey look very similar to the ones with the black rubber handle however he couldn't tell me which ones were better.Anyone had experience with this version of the universal fixed clamp?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast