Which Drop Weight Machine and tools for starting out?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by goku999, Mar 30, 2014.

1. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Hi all,

I have read a few threads in this section and have decided to get a drop-weight machine because of its accuracy in tensioning and minimal calibration. Also with a budget £350-£400 (Machine + tools), anything more is stretching it. I was hoping this would get me everything I need to start stringing.

I have no intention to purchase a WISE.

On WDStrings, I have come across the premium stringer 3600, and the Challenger models 1 and 2, but am towards the premium stringer 3600 atm.

I have the following questions based on what I've read elsewhere on this forum:

1. Which of the following tools are necessary and which are optional:

My opinion are as follows:

What is the 5-prong dual clamp mentioned somewhere?

Flying clamps - Yonex x2 and MBS clamps x2 or Hi Qua x2? (one set for the cross, and another for the mains, can't remember which)

String Cutter and pliers - Necessary
    Load Spreader - Necessary
    Badminton Awl -Optional?
    Starting clamp - Optional?
    String Mover - Optional?
    Michal's racket support thingy? - Posters have recommended this...

2. Which of the above three models do you recommend?

3. Have I missed anything?

#1 goku999, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

You definitely want an awl and string mover

3. henrychenn

henrychenn Regular Member

Student
    5 Prong Dual Clamp is a fixed base clamp that you'll use for holding the pulled tension of the stringer

I would strongly advise if you are also going to be stringing for tennis to keep the tennis base clamps that you receive with the stringer and purchase a pair of the 5 prong base clamps

I purchased 2x Yonex flying clamps for my machine however rarely use them, I only use them sometimes if there is not enough space when tying off the last cross

A string cutter and pliers are yes necessary, I bought the kit on wdstrings with the string move and a few awls, pliers and cutter for i think it was £15 + vat

Which then covers yours awls which does help sometimes

Starting clamp personally is one of the best things you can buy, there are some expensive babolat ones but i just bought the pro's pro one and they work just as well :)

Michael Chudek's Side Supports are so much better for stringing badminton rackets compared to the standard ones that come with your PS3600!

I personally recommend the 3600, however i've not tried the pro's pro machines

You have not forgotten anything, the load spreader I bought from ebay which were the same ones as the ones you get on mbs, the coloured ones are thinner than the white ones which gives you more space on the last cross :)

May I ask where in the UK do you stay?

4. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Nah, badminton only! Would you advise using fixed clamps that come with the 3600 as it seems they are more tennis oriented? Could they be switched with the 5 prong clamp on ordering do you know?

5. henrychenn

Student
    Yes before you make your order on wdstrings message them and ask to exchange the tennis clamps to the 5 prong clamps

They said yes to me however charged a certain amount for them, think they said £15, but i thought since i would be stringing squash and tennis that i would keep the original clamps and purchase extra 5 prong clamps as it only saved me £10 in total :)

6. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Is the string mover, the "String Pull-up" from the badminton stringing tool kit here: http://www.wdstrings.co.uk/acatalog/Other_Tools.html

The metal handle? I can't see if it has a curved end or not.

Looks like this is the kit for starters.

7. henrychenn

Student
    Yes that is the string mover :)

However the one that comes with this is actually blunt ended and quite hard to move the main string to weave the cross out, I would suggest getting the one from mbs!

8. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    Machine and tools for starting out?
    I ve started out with the following
    Challenger machine (wise head will attach easily if you want upgrade later, I did that)
    Badminton swivel clamps
    pliers
    cutter
    awl
    2 flying clamps
    load spreaders
    string mover

9. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

When I started stringing I used a string mover, currently, never... Just cutter, pliers and 2 yonex flying clamps.

Never used an awl during stringing, and with proper techniques (cutting the string in a sharp tip, and using kwun's "angle of attack" approach) I have never needed a string mover anymore.

10. silvestre351

Cutting string in a sharp tip is the tennis racquet stringing technique to pass shared grommets. For those racquets is easier as the string is a lot thicker and stiffer, so it bends much less as the badminton string. String mover can also be important to bend the string that blocks a single pass grommet. String mover can save a lot of time in these matters.
    The awl is not an essential tool and I use it very rarely, for example to help to untie, to help removing a grommet and also to bend a string that blocks a single pass grommet.

11. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Robin said that he will post on wdstrings new fixed clamps over the coming week. They are apparently similar to the 5-prong fixed clamp other members have suggested but won't have the black handle. He has recommended them to me but I am intrigued as to whether these are better than the 5-prong clamps.

Also, what about a grommet remover? Anyone recommend a reliable one that isn't too costly?

12. silvestre351

Are you talking about the "penta premium badminton clamp" that is posted in wdstrings website?
    By its appearance I think I still prefer those 5-prong with black handle. I have these for several years and they suit me just fine.

13. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    thanks silvestre351, others have also recommended the 5-prong clamp, which is the one I am likely to purchase.

This is the reply I got from Robin:

"Thanks for your email. WA3343 is not on the website yet but I will put in on shortly !

It is very similar to WA3342 but without the black handle."

14. henrychenn

Student
    I would also be interested in this, however is the difference only in the handle? If so then i'll stick with my old ones

A grommet remover is not essential however is so much easier to remove grommets and doesn't damage the paint (if you were to remove with pliers etc)

saves a lot of time and i'm glad I bought mine, also aids to turning the grommets

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    WA3342 is only GBP18 each? that's a steal for a fixed clamp!

Gamma is selling theirs for US$99!

16. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    are the 5-prong clamps suitable for the crosses (do a better job) than using flying clamps such as yonex?

17. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    From the conversation I had with Robin, it appears to be these:http://www.bigttennis.com/PRO_S_PRO_UNIVERSAL_CLAMP_p/ppuniclto65.htmThey look very similar to the ones with the black rubber handle however he couldn't tell me which ones were better.Anyone had experience with this version of the universal fixed clamp?

18. henrychenn

Student
    They look good, would be good to know what they're like though, has wd got them in stock now?If you do try them you should just buy 1 first and try it before buying a set, delivery would be free anyway, would like to know if they are gentlier on strings than the current universals

19. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Buy a cheap fishing scale too, or start at low tension and judge result by string frequency. Even if the seller tells you they have calibrated it. Ahem.
    I've got no complaints from using pros pro 5 prong fixed clamp with black handle.

20. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Yes they have although Robin hasn't put them online yet. I have asked about the ones with the black handle but he said it was out of stock and probably will be for some time. I went for the 3600 and the fixed clamps with the silver handle. It should arrive in the next week or two. Having to wait for the tools to be in stock before it gets shipped.