Results 1 to 2 of 2
03-30-2014, 03:56 PM #1
- Join Date
- Aug 2010
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
Badminton Active Start Program – Calling for Volunteers to grow the sport
The Federation of Badminton Clubs (FBC) is partnering with the York Region District School Board (YRDSB) to offer an instructional badminton program for school kids at the ACTIVE START Level (Grade 4 to 6).
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is being finalized between YRDSB and FBC as we launch this pilot program with 12 schools this year. The goal with the school Board is to implement an “ACTIVE START” Badminton program in 175 elementary schools as we ramp up our capacity for implementation.
· The VISION ==> 175 school, 24 kids per school. Introduce 4200 Children to the Sport of Badminton every year. Retain 25% to continue playing the sport through our LTAD (Long Term Athlete Developmental) model. That is 1000 more kids playing Badminton.
When I started volunteering for Badminton 4 years ago, many coaches complain that we are NOT growing the sport. FBC Board had work very hard in the last 2 years to create an environment of GROWTH for the Sport through this relationship with YRDSB.
Our ability to grow Badminton is now ONLY limited by what we are willing to do.
In order to achieve the above vision, we need your help.
FBC is looking for volunteers and coaches to assist in the program. For those seeking NCCP hours, these volunteer hours will qualify as NCCP hours. For those who do not have their NCCP and would like to obtain it, FBC will subsidize your NCCP registration fee if you volunteer in this program.
For the Private Club and Coaches, you now have access to promote your services through these programs. Our goal is to provide you an environment to promote your services so you can be an integral part of growing the sport.
If you are interested in volunteering, please email our Technical Director (Val Loker) and CC our program Director (Ann Tran)
· Val Loker ==> TD@federationbadminton.com
· Ann Tran ==> firstname.lastname@example.org
The ACTIVE START Program is named ==> SMASH
Sport Motivated Activities to Sustain Health
This program is designed to engage school children through the sport of badminton to promote healthy active living. This proposal is for an initiative that combines the efforts of parents, educators, health care professionals and the York Region badminton community in promoting healthy active living, through health education and in playing the sport of badminton.
We believe we can assist parents and educators to use the sport of badminton as a tool for the engagement of school children in developing behaviours that will help them sustain good health now and in the future. The initiative will adopt a holistic approach in providing this through nutritional education, fitness drills and badminton instruction.
By engaging the children through the sport they will develop a desire to incorporate the practice of good nutrition and exercise in their daily lives.
• To promote a healthy active living through the sport of badminton
• Deliver a sustainable badminton program in the schools by adopting the Long-term Athlete Development (LTAD) model in the SMASH program delivery
• To engage school communities of administrators/teachers/parents/students for the purpose of developing a resource base of teachers, coaches and volunteers
• Target is grade 4-6 students
• Volunteer instructors from the SMASH initiative will provide training and support to the local school badminton clubs/teams and teachers
• 7-week program (1 hour per week) from April 17, 2014 to June 1, 2014
• 24 students per school/session
• 3 instructors (one main instructor with two assistants) per school
• End of program tournament between all schools
School Requested Time Slot Address Coledale P.S. Thursday morning 7:45-8:45 60 Coledale Rd Greensborough P.S. Wednesday 10:30-11:30 am 80 Alfred Patterson Drive Markham Gateway P.S. Tuesday (mornings 7:20-8:20) 30 Fonda Rd Aldergrove P.S. Monday 3:30 -4:30 pm 150 Aldergrove Drive James Robinson P.S. WED 3:15-4:15 confirmed 90 Robinson Street Armadale P.S. Mon, Tues, Thurs after 3:00-4:00 11 Coppard Have Highgate P.S. Thursday 2:50 -4:00 (FBC 35 Highgate Drive Mount Joy P.S. Wednesday 3:15-4:15 p.m requested 281 Williamson Rd. Central Park Friday 7:45-8:45 am 100 Central park drive Parkview Friday after - school Ashton Meadows TBD 233 Calvert Rd Coppard Glen P.S. TBD
04-04-2014, 09:33 PM #2
- Join Date
- Sep 2012
- Vaughan, ON
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
I would volunteer, however getting to Markham on weekdays will prove to be a hassle. Good luck with the program!