Proper Forhand & Pan Grip

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ching, Mar 5, 2004.

1. ching

ching New Member

PLEASE FORGIVE ME IF THIS HAS BEEN COVERED BEFORE. WHEN HITTING A SHOT, FOR EXAMPLE A SMASH, WITH A PERFECT FORHAND / V. GRIP I FIND IT DIFFICULT TO PRONATE THE ARM ENOUGH TO CONTACT THE SHUTTLE WITH A FLAT FACE. SO AT SOME POINT DURING THE STROKE MY GRIP SLIPS SLIGHTLY TOWARDS PAN-HANDLE TO ENSURE I GET A CLEAN HIT. HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THIS, NO NOT ON ME, BUT ON YOUR OWN GRIP, AS ANY LESS THAN PERFECT V. GRIP SEEMS TO BE CLASSED AS BAD TECNIQUE. OR DO I NEED TO WORK ON THIS MORE. MANY THANKS FOR ANY HELPFUL REPLIES.

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Ching,

Please read through all the related threads about gripping and racquet handling before you post. I am sure you'll find the answer there or at least get a general impression of your answer;).

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Ching there is a valid form of smash called stick smash that uses the panhandle grip, a full panhandle grip is used with the preparation being the racket at the 12 O'clock position with the arm stretched up to reach for the shuttle.

The power comes from the forearm only and does not involve any pronation or body turn, just a jump to give you more height for a better angle.

Although this is not what you do you should ask around to see if anyone knows the technique and try it for yourself, you might be amazed at the results, the stronger your forearm the better the end result.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You should focus on developing a proper throwing action on all overhead forehand shots. The advice of a coach will be invaluable here.

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

I agree totally with Gollum, he may have bitten off Frodo's finger and nearly plunged the earth into darkness but his information is the right way to go because you are in between playing styles (grips), a coach would be a good idea to help get things sorted.

6. gerry

gerry Regular Member

I like and use Lee Jae Bok's version of grip for rear court shots, if you hold the racket in the standard V grip, keep your hand position the same but turn the handle about 10/15 degrees anti clockwise ( right handers) that will allow you to take the racket face straight back in shot preparation and play straight through the shuttle in execution........it's sort of between a V grip and a pan handle, lots of players use it.....try it.

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

That used to be called the advanced grip but is now refered to as the universal grip because in theory you should never have to change it because it works for both forehand anad backhand shots perfectly well.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I find a short universal grip useful in the midcourt, when exchanging fast "reaction shots" at about net-level. If you have time, it's better to switch to a proper forehand/backhand grip. In the case of an overhead shot, you should almost always have time to change grip.

The panhandle grip is useful at the net, where it inhibits your swing and so prevents you from hitting the net. It should never be used for an overhead forehand, but it can work well for an overhead backhand shot (since in that position it actually allows your arm/wrist a less inhibited movement).

Who me? :D

#8 Gollum, Mar 6, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2004
  9. gerry

gerry Regular Member

Sorry Dill but the universal (multipurpose) grip is held along the top bevel which as you say can be used for f/h and b/h shots whereas the grip I'm trying to describe is slightly further anticlockwise and the thumb is held along the broad section, it's slightly closer to a pan handle grip than the universal grip. it gives greater power in the smash and clear. You certainly couldn't use it in a b/h situation without some adjustment. I spent 4 weeks helping LJB and we went into it in great detail. It works for me and I have seen some better players using it in rearcourt situations.

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

If it's what I think then the grip is just a variation of the backhand grip with the thumb being on side 7 (if we number the sides on the racket 1-8 clockwise with side 1 being the big flat side on the open face of your racket) Universal grip is side 8 being in the V between the thumb and forefinger

It is virtually a panhandle grip and I have only seen this when playing backhands from the very back mainly using slice on the shot because ecah player has to adjust differently and has to vary the normal backhand grip to make the shot go where they want it to go because the point of impact is generally later and behind the head becasue the shot is a last resort kind of thing when digging it out of the rearcourt.

Lucky you, I got the chance to go to the session he ran in the School of sport in Glasgow but the scum at work wouldn't let me leave early to participate. I would have given my non racket arm to go. He was very well received and by the tales I heard everyone enjoyed themselves.

I hope he comes back!

11. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

Dill, what do you call the "open side" of the racket ? Say a rightie is holding a racket parallel to the ground in front of him with the hitting side facing to his left. Would your numbering scheme then start with the flat side to his right (3 o'clock position) ?

Cheers,

Mike

12. Dill

Dill Regular Member

The open side using my hastily put together theory is the backhand hitting surface.

If you put your racket flat on the ground and pick it up as it is, the top face is the broad flat side and backhand hitting surface.

13. gerry

gerry Regular Member

No it's not at all ! It's for Forehand shots !!

"It is virtually a panhandle grip and I have only seen this when playing backhands"

Yes it's between f/h V and P/h but you couldn't play B/H's with it as I said before.

Description by word will never get it across, if you see any promo posters for Lee look at his grip or if you manage to attend any of his sessions look at it there or simply ask him.

"I hope he comes back!"

Lee is visiting the UK in March and May for 2 quick visits, he will be working in various parts of the country, if you get the chance go and meet him.

P.S I originally come from Possilpark, can't imagine many badminton players coming from there or are things different these days.

14. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Badminton players come from many areas in Glasgow but I don't ask many where they are from, in saying that I doubt things have changed, I've never heard many people say they are from Possilpark.

Gerry can you try and explain it using the numbering system I mentioned earlier, I think I have missed out totally on what you are getting at!

Is LJB doing any of his week or weekend courses this year or is it just flying visits? I think Matt Ross who posts here was able to go to one.

#14 Dill, Mar 7, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  15. gerry

gerry Regular Member

No Lee isn't doing those courses this year, he is doing quick visits for outstanding coaching commitments that had already been booked but there may be one near you with a bit of luck.

Re the grip, a picture would be really better so watch out for his promotional poster, Matt Ross did attend one of the courses in Norwich maybe he could describe it better.
    I do have a photo of lee using the grip so maybe if I can ever get my scanner to work you would be able to see what I mean. Remember the fingers are still the traditional V grip but the head is turned 10/15 degrees anti clockwise but it's not an universal grip.......sorry I'm just repeating myself here !!!
    It's not as complicated as I seem to be making it sound.

16. ching

ching New Member

gerry's grip

thank you for all your replies. Gerry, i think we are talking about the same grip, i would love to see a picture if possible just to make sure.

17. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Gerry is right, however, i was adviced to do this when smashing. Take a look at the picture on the right of this page...http://www.libauk.com/links.htm also, look at the top right picture on this page next to camilla

Matt

18. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    to go back to the question..

you shouldn't have to pronate ur wrist a great deal to hit a smash - what is probably happening is that your body is too square on when you contact the shuttle, pronating ur wrist or switchin to pan handle / universal grip will only lose you power. working on being side on - try using ur other arm to point towards the shuttle, and then bring that hand to your racquet shoulder as you bring ur racquet thru to smash - i know this sounds complicated - but it works a treat for me - whether i'm smashing from the floor - or mid jump..

cheers

Neil

19. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Urgh... there are only pictures of guys on this web page. So where do we find camilla (I assume we are talking about Camilla Martin)?

20. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    scroll right up to the top of this page...