WOW... Just WOW... String Broken in 1 DAY!!!~!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mms6a, Mar 30, 2014.

1. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    I had a previous thread a few months back on my strings breaking in 2-3 weeks from playing only once or twice a week and 3 hours - 6 hours per session non-stop.

My tension is mostly 23-24lbs. I go no more than 25lbs.

I have used numerous strings,

Yonex BG-65 (3.5 weeks tops)
    BG-66UM (1 day-2 weeks tops)
    NBG-98 (2-3 weeks tops)
    BG-65Ti (3 weeks tops)
    BG-70Pro (2-3 weeks tops)
    BG-80Power (3 weeks tops)

Gosen R4x Momone (1 day-2.5 weeks tops)
    R4x 100 (2 week tops)
    R4x Inspire (2.5 weeks tops)
    R4x 200 (2.5-3 weeks tops)
    66 Pro (3 weeks tops)

Toalson NanoPremium 66 (2.5-2.5 weeks tops)
    66 Devil (3 weeks tops)
    Synchro (1 day-2.5 weeks tops)

But quite recently, this is getting RIDICULOUS...

I recently strung 3 rackets with Yonex BG-66UM, Gosen R4x Momone, and Toalson Synchro at 3 different stringers (all reputable and using Yonex Protech ES-5 and Protech ES-8

The BG-66UM @ 23 lbs, R4x Momone @ 22 lbs and Synchro @ 23lbs

I used the 3 rackets on 3 separate sessions of 6 hours non-stop playing each session.

BG-66UM was broken in about 8 hours, so lasted me just a little bit over 1 day

R4x Momone was broken in around 5 hours, less than 1 day worth of badminton session

Synchro was broken in around 6 hours, just when the day ended, the string snapped.

***(The racket was NOT left in a cold or hot car or in the car trunk. The rackets were freshly strung on a Protech ES-5 or ES-8 machine and being used in 30 minutes)***

A common snap area is that the string always seems to snap AT THE SWEETSPOT. And it is ALWAYS the CROSS that snaps...

I do have to admit, during those recent sessions where the string lasts very short time, I did smash pretty hard compared to the time it took for the string to snap previously...

I will try to simulate the similar session playing in the future with the BG-65 string.

From what I can read on the forums, BG-65 should last for months to even a year at lower tensions.

I will either have to lower my tension to 20lbs or even 19 lbs in the future or just use even thicker 0.75mm or 0.80mm gauge strings...

To me, a $12 labor costs + $5 to $9 strings = $17 to $21 string jobs lasting a day or even less than a day is pretty ridiculous...

Any suggestions and maybe some solution how I can reduce string breakage?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

I've never broken a cross string from what I can remember...

Suggestions...

Try ZM70

Switch to feathers if using plastic

Smash less ;)

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Oh, and I've broken strings even faster than you... how about on the 3rd warm up clear with ZM62 at 24 lbs when it was 13 degrees inside and -10 outside... :) :(

4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    my friend broke his BG66UM @26lbs just now.. in less than 1 hour.. and to make it worse, in a tournament. and even worse, he didn't have any spare..

another one is also @26lbs, the string snapped only after he hit the bird 3 times. but it is his fault since he used it right away after we string it

5. MjölnirSlinger

MjölnirSlinger Regular Member

That is a lot of string-snapping you did there..

If you switch to a thicker gauge string, and it still snaps, well my guess is you have a super-strong smash..
    No doubt about it..

I'd ONLY experienced ONCE, with bg66 ultimax (yellow) which lasted for almost 2 months.
    Tensioned at 27lbs on Fischer Black Granite X-Lite with 4-hours session per week.
    I suddenly had this urge to smash at any chance/moment that I got during that 2 months period.
    Just trying something out of ordinary at that time. (..and also was possessed by the spirits of Fu Hai Feng and Jung Jae Sung combine together)

#5 MjölnirSlinger, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  6. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    I only play feather and almost never play plastic.

50% of times we are using Victor Masters Ace shuttles

And the rest we use Aeroplane Blacks or Victor Master No 1

The court we played had heat, temperature is around 22-24 degC

7. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Wow, now THAT is truly unfortunate. Broken string in an in progress tournament is horrid.

Hopefully it is not a nation or international tournament.

8. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

I also experience the same as you TS.... twice.

First time was with NBG98 @ 26lbs on Gosen Aermet Zeus. Had a very funny sound before it snapped.... 2 games after stringing. The stringer says its because my string was the "cheap" CP versions, and not the SP type..... :confused:

Then the second was last week.... got my 8ST strung with Zymax 67 [MENTION=21402]25lbs[/MENTION]. The next day.... snapped. Not even ONE GAME in yet. :mad:

9. BakaForLife

BakaForLife Regular Member

Custodian
    I've also had a similar case with both my tk9000 and my zslash TH freshly strung with bg66UM, first attempt on a smash and string broke haha.

10. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    nah, it is a univ tournament in BLCU (Beijing language and culture university). saw some amazing Chinese players there. they are like.. flying. their movement is really smooth and their smashes are really hard

you need to give the racket a "rest" for few days after you restring it. the string requires few days before it settles in. in that few days time, the string will be prone to break

#10 Avenger, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  11. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Cannot understand how you break Toalson Nanopremium at 25 so easily?!

I string at 31-33lbs and am an aggressive player - I cannot get it to break whatever I do. I replace it after approx 2 months usually for feel and have been using it for a year now.

I have read the same experience from others here with this string.

12. Warlock86

Warlock86 Regular Member

Did you get your racket grommets checked? I used to have a racket where the string kept breaking. It was when I sent my racket to another stringer, then he told me that my racket grommets were too damaged. This might result in cutting the string while playing.

13. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Don't know about the Synchro but the 66UM and Momone are both thin strings. So you should consider lowering your tension a bit. Even 1lb can make a difference to durability.

14. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    All my rackets have good condition grommets as my tension is not that high to wear them that fast.

Also I do change my grommets when I see necessary (that is rotating the grommets until all directions are worn)

15. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    For me, the NanoPremium 66 always wears off the "outer" layer first, (around a week or two) and revealing the cotton like braid inside the string. When this happens, the string will snap in about a week or about a few hours of playtime.

However, I do have to say the NanoPremium is the slightly more durable 0.6mm gauge string when compared to BG66, NBG98 and Momone

I smash quite hard when I need to, and well as I perform various forehand and backhand slice drop shots in singles.

The only choice I think is to lower the tension to 19-20lbs when I use these thinner strings.

Or switch to a 0.75 or 0.80mm string

16. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

I know a guy who has a very powerful smash (hes an A player in Ontario). He has to string his racket BG65 and 20lbs only. Anything higher, string last at most a week...

My smash is wimpy compared to his. Bg66UM at 24lbs lasts 2 month on 3hr play weekly. It always fray before snapping.

17. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

You don't need to go all the way down to 20lbs. Like I said, even 1lbs would make a difference to durability.

18. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Will do just that. Thanks.

I will do my next string job at only 22lbs to start. And see if the durability goes up. If not, I will drop another pound.

***What is funny is that about a year or 2 ago, I used the same strings at the same tension. But the strings lasted me MUCH LONGER than it lasts me right now. For example, BG-65 at 24lbs can last me more than 6 months - 1 year without breaking.. BG-66UM can last me more than a month of weekly once or twice usage... DURING this time, my string also FRAYS, and it still intact. And when it starts to fray very badly, then it will break....

NOW, most strings I have used will not even fray, it will just snap out of the blue... For example, my BG-65 snapped without ANY MAJOR VISIBLE frays... looking at the string bed over a bright light, I can barely see any fraying going on at all. And after a few clears and smashes, I felt my racket is making a lot of vibration and very dead and dull sound, then I stop the game, take a look at my string and my string has snapped...

The funny part what I was playing over 4 points with a broken string, counter smashes, clearing lol...

The string breaking fast started after taking badminton lessons... As I got more power from fast arm swings and wrist snaps, the strings started to break... I also think I learned more slice drop (forehand and backhand), reverse slice drop, and rub/slice net shots during training may have contributed to my strings breaking as well...

19. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Yeah all that can contribute to premature breakage. Do you provide your own strings to the stringers?

20. swunk

swunk Regular Member

i had similar issues, when i've gone through almost a dozen strings on several brand new rackets, tried several stringers too. Tried lowering the tension too, didn't help. And it too was the time when i was developing my game. I guess it was all about timing issues, just hitting the shuttle badly close to the frame. I settled into my game better and the string life increased to normal (3-4 weeks of 5 sessions a week i consider normal for strings like zm65).
    The best combo of durability and performance i found to be BG80 (not the power, the standard version), maybe you should try it for now.