What type of racquet is for me?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Russ7, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

Hi, badminton tryouts are currently running, and I made it passed first cuts... There is one more tryout left (monday) and I find that I am having alot of trouble with my clears. I have never played people this experienced before and when they get me deep I can't seem to get it to their back court. My racquet is pretty old, (a graphite version of the cab 3) and I showed a man that was at tryouts.. he pointed out my weak clears and he said my strings were basically mush.

I need a new racquet anyways, so even if I didn't make the team I'd still use it (I play outside of school with friends on occasion). However I am very serious about making this team... What racquet would you suggest for me? I'm open to anything under $120 canadian (or around there). I don't want to restring my old one as it is outdated. I'll be getting the racquet before next tryout and I'll hopefully do very well. Thanks.

2. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

errr crap I thought I was in the equipment forum.

3. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Mp55 is not bad. Actually any racquet above $60 or so is pretty good already and the rest is up to you. Like strengthening your wrist/arm so you can clear deeper:)

4. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

You know of a good smashing/clearing racquet I can find in say.... a sportchek? I believe that is where I will be going. Unless I can find a good badminton store in edmonton...

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    For a long run, a new racket is good as u seems dedicated into this sport. However, I wonder if getting a new racket just 3 days before the tryout is a good idea or not. U might need quite a while to get used to the new weapon.

For CD$120, u might not be able to hit Yonex high end racket. Maybe u can settle with lower end MP (MP33, MP55, etc) or some Cab (cab20ms, cab8200light, etc). Just make sure ask the owner for suggestions, and demo the racket if possible (take some swing, as least). Or, if possible, alternate brands such as Winex, Yangyang, SOTX, Victor, BK all have good and cheaper models. Try them if u have a chance, too.

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    heh....you can't go that much wrong with a cab20ms:) i can recommend winex and SOTX from my experience. i don't know about canade, but do try out the racquets if possible:)

cab 3.....that has a external t-joint right? 2U?

7. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Russ,
    Since you are in Edmonton, you should be able to get your hands on SOTX and Winex racquets. You have to contact John Luu. I have PM you his contact info.

8. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

Hows about a Wilson HyperCarbon 9.0,7.0,5.0,3.0,1.0 or a Yonex Mp 33 or MP 55

9. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

nope, it's a built in. It's a new version of the cab 3 (7 or 8 years old). And to whoever recommended winex, etc. How cheap are those compared to yonex? I wouldn't mind gettin a mp-100 or something... if they are ALOT cheaper lol.

10. other

other Regular Member

Student
    check the badminton racquets on ebay.co.uk for winex