Wanting to buy a new racket.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by xgumbyx, Mar 31, 2014.

1. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

Hello everyone. I am just getting back into badminton after not playing for about 15 years. I'm looking for a new racket to try out all the ones in my bag are also from when I used to play. I'd consider myself a low to mid range intermediate player that slightly prefers the power side of the game over touch/control. I'm 6'2" and 195lbs so I do have some strength meaning that super light weight/head light isn't needed. Currently in my bag I have the following racquets, they are all pretty old but all are in great shape. I recently purchased a Gamma 602FC as well to re-string them all so I will list the strings and tensions I used as well.

Racquets are in order of my preference, mainly doubles play.
    Make Model,Weight,Balance Point,String,Tension

Victor Shadow,89g,293mm,Micro Power,24/26 (Best power for me, play with it 65% of the time)
    Yonex Isometric Slim 10,95g,295mm,Micro Power, 23/25 (Best net play for me, play with it 30% of the time)
    Black Knight Sabre(730),95g,295,BG60,22/24 (Will use it when playing with a beginner)
    Victor Superior,101g,286mm,BG66,23/25 (rarely use it)
    Yonex Carbonex 9 Tour,100g,287mm,Micro Legend XL, 23/35 (rarely use it)

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money and saw the Apacs raquets for sale online. I'll probably grab two and was looking at the Edgesaber 10, Edgesaber Z-Slayer, Slayer and 550. For the price, even if I hate them it isn't the end of the world. Can anyone comment on these specefic raquets and recommend any of them based on the racquets I currently own and namely the Victor Shadow and Iso Slim 10. Any other recommendations are also welcome

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Your physique calls for one of those beasts from Panda.

3. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

Hey now, are you calling me fat? :)

Just to clarify, I do have a few extra pounds but I wouldn't call myself fat. If I was to get to a bit better fat/muscle ratio I'd make a guess that I would be about 180-190lbs.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Haha, of course not.
    If you are fat, then I'm fat too.

The Panda racquets aren't for the faint-of-heart-or-body.
    Just saying... :D

5. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

With those balance points and weight of racquet, you may want to consider the Li-Ning MEGA POWER N80 and N80TD. The N80 is the racquet used by Chen Long and the N80TD is a "toned down" version of the N80 where it can't support as high of a tension (24/26lbs vs 28/30lbs).

If you're looking for a head heavy attack racquet, then try the Li-Ning MEGA POWER N55III with Airstream Technology! It's pretty cool with the air vents! :)

6. Nizam H.

Nizam H. Regular Member

Lecturer
    Hi there, just to share I'm 170cm and 95kg ( well the weight computer was screaming :" you are overweight" ) and I'm using Victor MX60 and it just fits me well. A bit head heavy and meant for controlling type play. It's a 3U.